Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 08:55 PM

94 posts, read 324,760 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't go for a pawn shop. Usually people pawning things are people who are there for quick, easy money (not stereotyping), and the pawn dealers know this. You won't get hardly anything for your stuff. If you really want to get rid of it, try craigslist. That way you can set a price yourself.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 09:37 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv80s View Post
The other day I was going through an old jewlery box and came across some jewlery given to me by ex-boyfriends. Mainly those cute little cocktail rings you get at Zales for $100, earrings, etc. Stuff I haven't worn in years. Actually, I don't think I've worn any of it since I've been with my husband (about 8 years). Hubby isn't the jealous type and said he didn't mind if I wear it since the stuff is pretty and it isn't a big deal to him. Personally, I'd feel weird wearing it even though the stuff is nice. Most of it that was given to me was from an ex-boyfriend that was VERY controlling and emotionally/verbally abusive towards me. (I was very young and dumb and he was way to old for me).

Anyway, I was thinking of selling it or pawning it and buying myself something nice Is that weird? The ex and the jewlery obviously don't mean anything to me so why should I keep it around? My husband says to keep it and use it as a story telling tool for our daughter when she's older about the evils of some men so she won't go through the same thing I went through, LOL. THis is also a man who keeps everything. I mean everything (Nintendo magazines from the 80's, Members Only jacket, you get the picture) so he has a hard time of getting rid of things.

I'm just curious what others have done with jewelry given to you by exes? Did you throw it into the deep blue sea? Still wear it? Keep it with old love letters? Sell it? Tell me your story!
Pitch the old love letters, sell the Jewelry if it's bothering you....buy something nice for yourself\hubby.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:41 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Keep it, yes. Wear it, yes.
I would not let my current husband know where it came from, but my first husband gave me a small, antique, gold pin with a pearl in it.
It was uncharacteristically tasteful and I've always liked it. I can't remember what the occasion was, or any other details, so I figure it doesn't matter. It's been 40 years.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:52 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,905,476 times
I LOVE jewelry, always have from childhood, even my daughter wears tons of it. That said, I sold/got rid of all my jewelry from my exes when I was married. My husband is not the jealous type either and didn't think it was necessary, but I thought it felt odd to wear it and it looked out of place to still keep it. I had memories attached, and I did not want to think of an ex everytime I looked at my wrist. I wanted it to be our memories and our history. I actually sold some of it, and bought him gifts, like trip to Philly to see his favorite comedian, etc. Oh and yes, he is now replacing all of it.....

Old 10-06-2008, 01:00 PM

78 posts, read 196,331 times
I have kept some jewlery and goteen rid of some. I still wear some of the jewelery that my ex husband gave me. but only because of the happy memories I can still feel.
I cant however wear any of the jewlery that was given to me by a man that I dated that was abusive. I dont have many happy memories of him or feel good about anything that he gave me. Why keep something that make me remember horriable things. It sure dosent feel good to wear it.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:04 PM

156 posts, read 270,621 times
I've gotten rid of all jewelry that my exes gave me.
The emerald ring that my ex-fiancee gave to me at christmas time as a promise/engagement ring is the one I kept the longest.. Even if I hadn't been with him for two years, and had another boyfriend, I kept it and even wore it.. I kept it until after my husband proposed to me (I wore it when we dated and then stopped after the proposal), and I pawned it off. I didn't need that ring on my hand when I knew I would think of my ex.. So yeah.. That got pawned.

A necklace that one boyfriend gave me, I tried to keep it, but after I found out that he was playing me, I was going to throw it away or send to his underaged mistress. After discussing the matter with a close friend, I found out that she would love to have it.. So I gave it to her for her birthday a month or so later.
I'm not one that really wears much jewelry anyway. The only piece I have on now is my wedding band.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:36 PM

754 posts, read 1,449,526 times
I have some really beautiful pieces from my last bf and I will wear them forever. They no longer mean anything other than I like pretty things. If my fiance doesn't want me to wear them, he should replace them .

Old 10-07-2008, 10:23 PM

461 posts, read 1,450,098 times
I always give the jewelry back. Most of it wasn't really my style anyway... though my husband is really good at picking out jewelry. I guess I better keep him. My last b/f was SUCH a jerk, I gave back all the stuff he gave me, but threw one from each pair of earrings in the huge wooded back yard of his house (the rest were in the box of crap from him I don't want- along with every cheesy romantic comedy that came out on DVD while we were together). Seriously, 7 years and he had no idea I hate romantic comedies and gold jewelry... though I stayed... duh!

Old 10-07-2008, 10:24 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
imho gifts are gifts its yours. i am the sum total of my experiences.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:56 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,647,600 times
I'll say this again.. I think that when you end a relationship, move into a new one and know that the new one is going to be a long-term thing - you need to part ways with the past. Why keep jewelry, letters, photos - what good is it doing you to actually have those things. How is it bettering your current relationship by having them around? Even if you keep them locked up in a box, why? I see no point - that's why we have memories for things like that.
I say when you move on from a relationship you move on and move past it by letting go of the past.

I had jewelry from an ex and when I got involved with my now fiance, I pawned it and bought something that I wanted. Problem solved!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships