Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 12:28 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,059,410 times

Advertisements

This issue was raised in another thread and I was wondering how you all felt about it.

I'm in my mid-thirties and quite old-fashioned in thinking that it's a guy who should approach, call first, etc... Is this old-fashioned or is this the way most women really feel?

Do more younger women these days feel comfortable making the first move vs. older women?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 12:31 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,785 times
I'm 46. I'll make the first move without even thinking about it. It's so much easier than waiting around for the guy to get up the nerve. If I make the first move, I don't waste any time waiting, and can find out right away if he's interested or not. And if it scares him off, he's not man enough for me anyway.

I think it's highly outdated/old-fashioned to expect the man to make the first move.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
I'm 46. I'll make the first move without even thinking about it. It's so much easier than waiting around for the guy to get up the nerve. If I make the first move, I don't waste any time waiting, and can find out right away if he's interested or not. And if it scares him off, he's not man enough for me anyway.

I think it's highly outdated/old-fashioned to expect the man to make the first move.
I like how you think and admire you for it. It's just so unfamiliar to me. I started dating at 14 and got married at 24, during which time, I was never single. Guys just seemed to pop out of everywhere. I never had to do it and the thought just seems so unfamiliar. Now, separated at 36, it's starting all over again. (Not dating yet though) But, eventually when I start dating again, it's good to get a perspective on what things are like nowadays.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:39 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
I like how you think and admire you for it. It's just so unfamiliar to me. I started dating at 14 and got married at 24, during which time, I was never single. Guys just seemed to pop out of everywhere. I never had to do it and the thought just seems so unfamiliar. Now, separated at 36, it's starting all over again. (Not dating yet though) But, eventually when I start dating again, it's good to get a perspective on what things are like nowadays.
Men are notoriously slow-moving when it comes to making a move. At my age, I don't feel like wasting time waiting for them, and when I was younger it was just annoying to wait and wait and wonder if he was interested or not. I like cutting to the chase. It weeds out the weak ones, and the ones that are going to feel threatened by an independent woman.

Of course, you have to be prepared to be refused, but that's all just part of it, and men have been dealing with that for millenia.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:44 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,338,885 times
I went on a couple of dates (2 times) and my date had to actually make the first move ( as far a holding hands and kissing ), reason being I kept on getting the wrong signal, even though I knew they were attracted to me I couldn't acutally tell if it was ok to take the initiative.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
I went on a couple of dates (2 times) and my date had to actually make the first move ( as far a holding hands and kissing ), reason being I kept on getting the wrong signal, even though I knew they were attracted to me I couldn't acutally tell if it was ok to take the initiative.
Isn't the uncertainty the fun part? Or is the old-lady in my coming out?

Old 11-03-2008, 01:07 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,338,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
Isn't the uncertainty the fun part? Or is the old-lady in my coming out?

You're right. The old-lady in you is indeed coming out.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:11 PM

43 posts, read 87,336 times
I do not know a single woman who has ever asked a man out, or a man who has been asked out by a woman.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconer84 View Post
I do not know a single woman who has ever asked a man out, or a man who has been asked out by a woman.
What age range are you talking about here? Just curious to see if I'm trending towards an older age group.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:16 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,934,929 times
Eh... not my thing.

If I was "available", I'd let him make the first move. And if he's too slow or too lazy... then I'm movin' on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships