Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 08:44 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times

Advertisements

If you could do the career thing out of the home and work at least 75% of the time (compared to your billings in a conventional setting). Also, if the kids were all boys, it could be good and bad. Good because of the inevitable father-son rapport (and arguments!) and bad because of the attitude "what's up with this, my Dad stays at home and my friends' Dads occupy a corner office." I guess they'd have to get over it. Since nowadays Mom can have a JD from Columbia and Dad can be a social studies HS teacher, just to use an example, the tables have forever turned on traditional role models. Can't say I like it, but I'm starting to get used to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 09:17 PM

598 posts, read 2,074,988 times
I think this is what my husband and I will do. It just is working out that way naturally. I am the driven one, he's more sweet, so....we'll see how it goes! I think he'd be fantastic at it. But if he's not, we'll figure something else out.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:17 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,236,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG1 View Post

Is that something that you would consider? Why or why not?

Yes, because the upbringing of my future children would be more important than any career. I don't have children yet, and not saying that I'm aiming to be a stay at home dad, just saying I'd be open to it.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:18 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I also wouldn't be comfortable with the financial well being of my family resting solely on my shoulders.

Of course if something were to happen where my husband couldn't work or worked out of home, that would be different.
What about your husband having the fancial well being on his shoulders?

I don't think women think about that too often.

Life is a ***** sometimes.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:21 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
No it is not. It is always wonderful and pleasant. Just kidding....it isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Life is a ***** sometimes.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:17 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,058,817 times
My father taught me that the man provides and while it may sound and seem old fashioned, I would not be able to live with a man that was not the main provider. I don't mind working, but I don't want to be the one bringing home all the money or most of the money for that matter.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:30 AM

943 posts, read 3,335,098 times
Although I'm a bit more traditional, I would definitely consider it. I would rather their father to raise them then a sitter.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:05 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,950,738 times
One of the easiest jobs I've ever had. Of course I could make it sound like I'm doing a lot (like a certain demographic has done in the past), but it was very simple. Clean the house (if you do it daily, less to do every day), get kids ready for and off to school. After that 2 hours a day is done, the rest is mine (shopping, etc.) and since I like cooking, that's not even a pain.

I did it for a long period between jobs when I got out of the Navy and was looking for the job I have. Luckily the kids are older now, so the job would be even easier than it was for me then. It's not rocket science, it's time management.

Of course, my wife would need to make what I do for it to be fair, right?

Old 11-17-2008, 07:21 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,165,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
One of the easiest jobs I've ever had. Of course I could make it sound like I'm doing a lot (like a certain demographic has done in the past), but it was very simple. Clean the house (if you do it daily, less to do every day), get kids ready for and off to school. After that 2 hours a day is done, the rest is mine (shopping, etc.) and since I like cooking, that's not even a pain.

I did it for a long period between jobs when I got out of the Navy and was looking for the job I have. Luckily the kids are older now, so the job would be even easier than it was for me then. It's not rocket science, it's time management.

Of course, my wife would need to make what I do for it to be fair, right?

I want one!!!! a stay at home hottie who cleans and cooks and is readily available for sex at my beacon call ..........I'll take 2!

Old 11-17-2008, 07:25 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
I wouldnt have a problem with it if the dad actually did the things a stay at home mom did. CLEAN house, laundry, shopping, bills, take care of the kids and had dinner ready when I got home, then brought me a beer while I sat on the couch, watched TV and scratched my boobs. LOL. Just kidding.

I worked with a fellow who quit to stay at home with his twin daughters when his wife went back to work because she made more money. He was very glad to get back to work after about a year and a half of that. It wasn't as easy as the thought it would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships