Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2008, 07:54 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
In a number of cases when I called 911 about domestic disputes going on in my apartment complex, including a particular one where a woman was thrown through a window, the woman sided and defended the man.

I'm friends with a police officer, I know police officers and they've all said butt out and let them deal with it. You can put yourself in some interesting legal situations intervening and often they end up with another victim to deal with besides the original victim.
True. Imagine our hero upon observing a shouting match at the mall running in,, grabbing the victim and taking off with her. A true knight in shining armor. He will be charged with kidnappng and if he took a punch at the woman's boyfriend, he can be charged with assault.

Yelling isn't physical abuse, it may be emotional abuse but escalating something like that into a physical confrontation is very unwise and doesn't accomplish much at all. Verbal arguments do not require total strangers to inject themselves and provoke something worse. Calling the police on the couple for a disturbing the peace complaint should suffice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 07:58 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,434,568 times
OK..this may sound ignorant. But, why do women stay with guys that mentally and physically abuse the heck out of them? Am I missing something here?? I have very little sympathy for the hoards of women that cant get enough of this sort of thing. And trust me, I've known plenty!!!

Old 12-15-2008, 07:59 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
You really have to pick and choose your fights in this situation. I would watch and call security or the cops if I had to. If her well-being/children/life was in danger and I couldn't get the cops in time, then, yes, I would intervene. A man has to.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:01 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,248,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
OK..this may sound ignorant. But, why do women stay with guys that mentally and physically abuse the heck out of them? Am I missing something here?? I have very little sympathy for the hoards of women that cant get enough of this sort of thing. And trust me, I've known plenty!!!
They may have very low self esteem, self worth, grew up in similar situations so they do not know any other way, sometimes the abuse evolves, financial reasons...who knows? What I do know is that the women who are abused are victims whether they stay with the abuser or not...

Old 12-15-2008, 08:02 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I was being EXTREMELY sarcastic, hence the sarcastic emoticon...I was responding to another post in which someone was saying the women"wanted it" or "liked it"...

I wish everyone would read the entire thread before responding to a snippet that is not representative of someone's thoughts.
Sorry. I'm glad to find out that you were being sarcastic!
Unfortunately, there are some who believe what you said in that post.

This is a subject that I may be too close to be objective...
Like another poster said ... it makes me mad.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:03 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,931,204 times
Quote:
Because the abuser breaks his target down in order to convince her to stay; then he has a handy, ready-made punching bag at his beck and call.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Sorry. I'm glad to find out that you were being sarcastic! There are some who believe what you said in that post.

This is a subject that I may be too close to be objective... like another poster... it makes me mad.
Thank you for the apology...while I have never been abused by a man myself, I am very involved with those that have been...

If anyone else says anything about me being an advocate for a man beating a woman, please lead them to this post...nothing could be further from the truth...

Old 12-15-2008, 08:06 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,113,639 times
Any "man" would stand by and watch that kind of scene and say nothing and then use the excuse of women's lib to justify his actions is NOT a man but a coward. I refer to those as "males" so that they don't contaminate real man by definition.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:08 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,058,734 times
Quote:
Abuse is not only physical, but psychological. It consists of isolation, degredation, intimidation, blame, fear, etc... It's a mind game and it happens to strong, educated women just as often as those who aren't. You feel trapped with no where to go and have no self worth. You're brainwashed into believing that it's all your fault because you don't know how to treat him well.

My therapist asked me, "Do you know how to boil a frog?". She said you put the frog in cold water where they're comfortable and then slowly increase the heat. Before they realize it, they're cooked. This is how domestic abuse happens. You start out feeling like you're in a healthy relationship with a man that loves you and then slowly, he kills your insides.

It takes a huge effort to see things differently... it took close to an army for me to wake up and realize what he had done to me.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Any "man" would stand by and watch that kind of scene and say nothing and then use the excuse of women's lib to justify his actions is NOT a man but a coward. I refer to those as "males" so that they don't contaminate real man by definition.
Well said...COWARD is right! How can someone NOT get involved?? Get on the phone and call the police, call security, or, if worse comes to worse, get involved yourself! Sheesh, we're talking about a person here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships