Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 04:47 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,963,301 times

Advertisements

What!

What happens if somebody bigger and meaner was messing with you? And you needed help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 04:47 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,050,321 times
The logic (or lack thereof) probably applies to auto accidents and the like as well. After all - why call 911 if you see injured people laying in the roadway - they obviously wanted to be in that situation since they were in the car, right???

Old 12-15-2008, 04:48 PM

532 posts, read 1,568,417 times
A man has almost no chance of being helped in any situation anywhere in society in any country anywhere in the world. You've seen all the ruthless beatings of 80 year old men by assailants, with nothing but bystanders watching from a distance. I think its fair to keep from going bankrupt or killed trying to help somebody who got themselves into a dangerous situation. But I also realize some people don't have the ability to defend themselves, it takes a public mindset of helping eachother in order to deal with situations like this, one which doesn't currently exist.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:53 PM

769 posts, read 2,233,469 times
I'm sorry if I didn't clarify this fact before: she never once yelled for help or looked at anyone with a pleading look. If she had done so that would have been different. But the fact that she never really jumped up to show if she was in trouble made it seem like she didn't want help. If she showed more resistance then that would have said something. When she tried to walk away it was a weak attempt. I don't know how to describe it to make you understand but the way she tried to get away somehow seemed feeble to me.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:57 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,050,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
I'm sorry if I didn't clarify this fact before: she never once yelled for help or looked at anyone with a pleading look. If she had done so that would have been different. But the fact that she never really jumped up to show if she was in trouble made it seem like she didn't want help. If she showed more resistance then that would have said something. When she tried to walk away it was a weak attempt. I don't know how to describe it to make you understand but the way she tried to get away somehow seemed feeble to me.
She was probably scared to death that if she made a scene she'd really get it later on when nobody was looking. I'm so glad you were "man" enough to step up to the plate and do something. Hope you're never in a situation where you need help.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:57 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,161,492 times
It takes a very small, ignorant and brainless mind to think someone enjoys being battered- It's humiliation, other people wanting to mind their own business, having no job, no place to turn, and kids to feed and put a roof over their heads, it's control and power.

What is wrong with a man that he is so spineless to raise his hands to someone else? A true coward.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:59 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,685,572 times
Chivalry or not, NEVER intervene in any fight you come upon, because you have no idea what the hell you are intervening in. NEVER. Could even be a set up.

I laugh at people that say they are going to butt in. That's a good way to get stabbed or shot quickly. And if you are armed do you even know who you are shooting and why? Combat in real life is different than the movies.

Call the police let them deal with it.

Regarding abuse, having it seen it with some women, ultimately part of the responsibility has to be on their backs for hooking up with these clowns to begin with. There was one course I took in college that had a lot of abused women in it and at first I was sympathetic until I began to see how they would continually put themselves in bad situations.

Fortunately now we have better laws to protect against this type of behavior.

I think the whole abuse thing I find is common with latinos. I lived around a lot of illegal mexicans in Colorado and god knows how many times I had to call 911. On two occasions people got thrown through windows at our apartment complex. Not to mention other incidents.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:00 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,161,492 times
I suppose it's ok when parents turn their anger on their kids, using them as human ashtrays and breaking their small defenseless bones- A child was just found murdered in NYC with 32 cigarette burns to it's 3 year old body. Sick people, really.

I would rather die fighting for what I believe in than stand and do nothing like a spineless coward. Use any excuse you want to in order to justify. Make a different in life- If not for you, then for someone else. It's sad to me people are so scared to help others.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:07 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Chivalry or not, NEVER intervene in any fight you come upon, because you have no idea what the hell you are intervening in. NEVER. Could even be a set up.

I laugh at people that say they are going to butt in. That's a good way to get stabbed or shot quickly. And if you are armed do you even know who you are shooting and why? Combat in real life is different than the movies.

Call the police let them deal with it.

Regarding abuse, having it seen it with some women, ultimately part of the responsibility has to be on their backs for hooking up with these clowns to begin with. There was one course I took in college that had a lot of abused women in it and at first I was sympathetic until I began to see how they would continually put themselves in bad situations.

Fortunately now we have better laws to protect against this type of behavior.

I think the whole abuse thing I find is common with latinos. I lived around a lot of illegal mexicans in Colorado and god knows how many times I had to call 911. On two occasions people got thrown through windows at our apartment complex. Not to mention other incidents.

You may be right from a logical point of view, but I am not going to stand there and wait for the police to show up. Some places have an hour plus response time. I have intervened in such matters on several occaisions (5 that I can specifically remember) and I have never been seriously injured. In almost all cases a shout or pushing between them is enough to end it until the police can come. In other occaisions a push or tackle is enough to send the message that it is over. I never had to incapcitate anyone in this situation. Most wife beaters are cowards. That is why they choose to beat their wives. Beating in public is actually very rare (cowards are too cowardly to do that where they may be seen and stopped).

Yes you might get shot. You might even die. Sooner or later you are going to die. Is it better to die of a debiliatating disease or in a car accident than it is to die protecting someone? Besides, it is pretty unlikely. If he has a gun, will he pull it? If he pulls it will he use it? if he uses it will he use it effectively?

It is scary. I have never felt my heart beating faster, and I usually do not sleep at all that night (not too unusual for me anyway), but I would not not be able to sleep or look inthe mirror ever again if I just turned and walked away.

There is also some risk in stopping to help somone with a broken car. However I am not going to stop doing it becuase there is a risk involved. The risk is low. the loss to soceity if we start turning away from each other is huge. However I do have my wife drop me off and drive away if my family is with me when I stop to help someone. She comes back around in five minutes once i ascertain that it is ok.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:25 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Simply put, in a crises yes.

I worked in that area for several years while I was in school. You are correct, it is dangerous. Probably the most dangerous thing that you can do. I owuld rather march into battle than get involved in a domestic dispute, but are you really going to stand there and watch some guy beat a woman or girl to a bloody pulp?

In the OP's post, the woman wasn't getting beaten to a bloody pulp, she was being yelled at and still making googoo eyes at her man. I think there's a big difference in that and being actually beaten to a pulp.

In that scenario -- at the mall -- would you really intervene and get physical with a man who is yelling, even intimidating his lover knowing that she's going to go home with him and you aren't going to be there to follow up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships