Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel that watching romance movies is bad for future relationships?
Yes 5 41.67%
No 6 50.00%
I hate Romance Movies!!! 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 02:09 PM

648 posts, read 1,641,632 times

Advertisements

Me personally, I'm a sap when it comes to romance whether it be a movie or a good book. I really do get it that it is all make-believe and unrealistic. But there is always that little bit that holds on to the fantasy. Why not you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 02:16 PM

462 posts, read 968,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbogdan81 View Post
Me personally, I'm a sap when it comes to romance whether it be a movie or a good book. I really do get it that it is all make-believe and unrealistic. But there is always that little bit that holds on to the fantasy. Why not you know?
oh I am a sucker for it - I admit it! I agree!!

Old 12-29-2008, 02:17 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Romance movies AND fairy tales.

Look, here's what makes them so destructive.

Both offer up such an incredibly idealized and tidy view of romance that it really leads to an unrealistic view of how people get together in the first place.

Check yourself here, ladies. Have you, in the past three years, used the term "Prince Charming," "Mr. Right," or "Knight in Shining Armor," when referring to that yet-unmet partner in life? If so, you are probably not a woman, but rather a child in a woman's body. You are, in your mind, creating such a rarefied set of qualifications that no man can possibly hope to fulfill them. After all, you'd really resent a guy objectifying you in the same way, wouldn't you?

So, yeah, romance movies just aren't real life. And people who think those are a good guidepost to romance need to be euthanized before they cause any further harm to the people around them.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:53 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,873,116 times
A Walk to Remember had my tearing up like a little girl. I think we ought to be idealistic when it comes to love, but at the same time be able to accept the shortcomings of others as well as our own. Heck, when you know you've met the right person, the flaws that they see in themselves are what make them most attractive in your eyes. Love is the only thing real in this world. Love is the only thing that lasts forever. Everything else is just background noise. Don't let it distract you from the only truth that exists.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:24 PM

754 posts, read 1,449,186 times
When I was young my aunt used to read romance novels. Since I've always been an avid reader, when she left one over our house once I picked it up. I was hooked immediately (keep in mind I'm probably 10yo). I thought everything about it was facinating. I also thought that that was the way real relationships were. Obviously I learned the hard way that men just aren't that way. Intellectually I know this but there is still a tiny part of me that's looking for my knight in shining armour. I think romance novels are fine, still read them every once in a while, but they should definitely be kept out of the hands of children (at least little girls, little boys may learn a thing or two )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships