Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 07:08 PM

78,435 posts, read 60,628,324 times

Advertisements

Ok, so most of you know my story.

Married almost 13 years widowed April08 but wife was diagnosed terminal cancer about Dec.06 It was a VERY rough 1-2 years with tons of surgery, treatment, culminating in having to tell my 8 & 10 yo. kids that mom was going to die.

So, last October I started dating again...I was ready for that much. Problem was I met a gal in mid-november that I got in too deep with too fast with. On the plus side, she really did have a lot of exceptional qualities but also has a TON of issues from past relationships and her own issues. Long story short, it lasted 3.5 months but the last 3 weeks were mostly fighting. lol. We both parted friends. (but clean break...and I we will not get back together)

Suffice to say, I learned that i AM ready for a dating relationship but not for when it gets in deeper. It's not because of my late wife but rather just all the stress of transition to being alone and a single parent etc.

In hindsight, it was a great relationship in that it helped me meet my short-term loneliness (since frankly my wife was largely incapacitated for the last few years wth cancer) but the person I was with was also incapable of any lasting relationship so I don't feel I hurt anyone (thank god!). Also parted on positive terms, no yelling, no blame...a hug in fact. I feel good about that...very adult, very honest and positive.

Suffice to say, I will just continue to work on myself and my family and will get back to dating again in a few months. By then it will be over a year and this relationship has provided valuable experience at fairly low cost to all involved.

I appreciate all the input and support I have gotten here over the past year or so. I am feeling pretty good today...I know I'm getting better and when I'm ready will find the right gal to finish off the 2nd part of my life with.

Hey, on the plus side, I'm still down >40lbs and in the best shape since I was about 23....my kids BOTH just finished in the top 20 of 4000 or so students at a local math contest and I have a good job etc. etc. I'm a lucky lucky man.

Edited to add that via PM Sierra was both right and wrong about me being ready.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 07:13 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,118,303 times
I'm glad you have such a positive outlook on your future. And that you didn't let your rough start into dating make you think you started too soon. Good Luck with future dating.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:27 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Best of lucky to you, sincerely.

Life really is short, we need to keep perspective and enjoy ourselves.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:36 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,550,211 times
I was not aware of your situation. I'm sorry for your loss and happy for you on your progress.

May I ask, how did you meet your last friend? How are you going to find your next companion? Are you going to actively seek someone with the same limitations? Or are you just going play it by ear and take things as they come?

Old 03-01-2009, 07:37 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,255,736 times
I truly admire you for getting back up and brushing yourself off, so to speak...I am not sure if I would be strong enough to do the same. Thank you for sharing with us!

Old 03-01-2009, 07:44 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
So, last October I started dating again...I was ready for that much. Problem was I met a gal in mid-november that I got in too deep with too fast with. On the plus side, she really did have a lot of exceptional qualities but also has a TON of issues from past relationships and her own issues. Long story short, it lasted 3.5 months but the last 3 weeks were mostly fighting. lol. We both parted friends. (but clean break...and I we will not get back together)
Oh-oh! I know you were having some problems, but didn't I hear last you were planning a vacation together...?! Then again, my ex-husband and I were testing paint the last few days before we finally split and there was a bright square spot on the wall...

Well, if you truly feel the way you say you feel, good for ya, MG!

Quote:
Edited to add that via PM Sierra was both right and wrong about me being ready.
What, what, what?! Sierra's middle name is Right!

Old 03-01-2009, 07:51 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,247,022 times
Smile You have a good attitude...

I once heard the soul can only handle one major event every 6 months so take a little rest, concentrate on those kids (great ages) and in time, you will meet the right person!

I'm sorry you have been through so much.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:03 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I once heard the soul can only handle one major event every 6 months so take a little rest, concentrate on those kids (great ages) and in time, you will meet the right person!

I'm sorry you have been through so much.
No wonder my soul couldn't handle 4 moves in 9 months all due to looooove!

Old 03-01-2009, 08:04 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,341,873 times
You mean Mathguy's back on the market ?

Seriously, I'm sorry it didn't work out but it sounds like you have the right attitude. I'm sure once you're ready to try again, it won't take too long before the women are all beating down your door.

Last edited by Tropical Trouble; 03-01-2009 at 09:12 PM..

Old 03-01-2009, 08:16 PM

78,435 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I was not aware of your situation. I'm sorry for your loss and happy for you on your progress.

May I ask, how did you meet your last friend? How are you going to find your next companion? Are you going to actively seek someone with the same limitations? Or are you just going play it by ear and take things as they come?
I actually used Plentyoffish.com and intend to use it again when I'm ready. I had met several nice ladies via that site that didn't work out for various logistical reasons. (One or two I'd been planning to meet but they were out of town etc. then I met my last gf.) Since I am not nor will ever be a *player* I focused in on my ex-gf shortly after meeting her.
I recognize that I'm VERY rusty at dating, especially in this age range that has more baggage, so I'm recognizing this limitation and going to move slower this time.

Again, I have no regrets. I'm actually a little proud to say I still have my track-record for fairly amicable breakups but thats probably because I've never given a woman anything to really hate me over. (Ie. Cheating etc.)

Frankly, I am happy. I know what I need and want so that's 1/2 the battle...I just need to get myself emotionally healthy and take things slow and I things will work out fine. I think I have a lot to offer...especially in this age range...I do know that my issues are NOT related to my wife dying (since I had a long time to prepare and frankly after that kind of illness death is NOT a bad thing) but rather my being a single parent and all the transition and related lifestyle stress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships