Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 09:42 AM

1,293 posts, read 3,189,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Why? Why would you think that everyone should want to produce children? The world is overpopulated, not everyone is good parent material, and kids are very expensive to raise well. And some of us enjoy having a quiet peaceful adult household to live in. I don't want to hear tantrums or the breakage of my valuable items. I don't want to have to child proof my house. I know more bad parents than good ones. As to my family's future generations, I have two nieces. Being an aunt is just fine with me.

Having children should be a planned and prepared for event, and not left to chance. And their births looked forward to, not dreaded or viewed as an unexpected unwanted gift.
That's more or less my point, the ones having the future generations are the ones from less educated adults(young adults). Darwinism functioning in reverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 09:58 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
We watched an episode of Millionaire Matchmaker. One of the milionaires was a 41 year old single Mother with a young baby. She came across as very nice, self made and she also happened to be absolutely stunningly good looking.
She hadn't been on a date in 3 years and was having trouble with ageist men wanting to date women 10+ years younger than themselves.

The other millionaire was 45 and looking to date someone in their late twenties, early thirties. One of the girls he picked for a mini date literally looked like she could be his daughter.

The Matchmaker ended up fixing them up with each other, but the female millionaire was not allowed to tell him her age. I just thought how sad this was. The woman was accomplished, movie star good looking and couldn't get a date. What is wrong with this picture? It can't be looks because she was far better looking then most of the 20 somethings. So I guess it's about kids? It's ok for a guy to get to 45 and suddenly decide he wants kids, but a woman at 41 is considered over the hill?

Has anyone experienced this IRL? I thought it was absolutely nuts and just wondered if anyone else saw it/ had an opinion on the subject?
I've heard it said that a woman over 40 is more likely to get abducted by aliens than get married.

Men like younger women. That's no surprise. I remember my dad complaining when he moved into the senior complex that all the women were old. He was 70 and complaining because 60 year old women were trying to pick him up. He wanted a 40 year old He never did catch one.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:01 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynec613 View Post
That's more or less my point, the ones having the future generations are the ones from less educated adults(young adults). Darwinism functioning in reverse.
Not really. If education interferes with breeding, then it is a negative trait as far as evolution is concerned. Evolution only concerns itself with what increases the odds of successful breeding and survival of offspring. If being educated results in less desire to have kids, it won't be bred for.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Not really. If education interferes with breeding, then it is a negative trait as far as evolution is concerned. Evolution only concerns itself with what increases the odds of successful breeding and survival of offspring. If being educated results in less desire to have kids, it won't be bred for.
While true, that was also part of the gist. Not to mention that the "Civilized" societies have artificial supports in place that remove that as Darwinian currently.

I'm sure the species will solve all of the current issues, and make further bio-engineering breakthroughs from children with increasingly lower IQ's. Sounds a bit backwards to me.

Main issue is we've removed or at least temporarily damned up the stream of that theory being in practice.

Last edited by Waynec613; 05-17-2009 at 10:14 AM..

Old 05-17-2009, 10:12 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,839 times
Quote:
We watched an episode of Millionaire Matchmaker. One of the milionaires was a 41 year old single Mother with a young baby. She came across as very nice, self made and she also happened to be absolutely stunningly good looking.

She hadn't been on a date in 3 years...............

and just wondered if anyone else saw it/ had an opinion on the subject?
How do you know what she is really like? TV is sooooooooooo superficial and edited to boot!

Dating and marrying wealthy people is a tiny subset of relationships that gets a disproportional amount of attention.

Basically, such people are (naturally) demanding and this can make them a handful, no matter how presentable their public face.

One thing to note: While women will line up to have a relationship with a wealthy man, fewer physically desirable men are willing to marry for money. Our society looks (way) down on such men. Besides, such men can also attract a type of woman who is thrilled to be with them and the sex is therefore better and more frequent. This is often their prime interest.

Like most good looking women, they think they have many years to enjoy their good fortune and can always become a gigolo later.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
I saw this show for the first time last night, and was shocked by the 48 year old man who only wanted women in the 25-28 age range - cause he wants to start a family, and with younger women, its easier that way. What a crock.

It seems to me (and I guess I am stereotyping a bit) that the really good looking young girls who actually want to date a not so attractive man who is 48 are probably going along with the dating thing because he is rich.

And your point is............

Old 05-17-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler file:///C:/Users/Steve/AppData/Local/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_image001.gif (broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynec613 View Post
While true, that was also part of the gist. Not to mention that the "Civilized" societies have artificial supports in place that remove that as Darwinian currently.

I'm sure the species will solve all of the current issues, and make further bio-engineering breakthroughs from children with increasingly lower IQ's. Sounds a bit backwards to me.

Main issue is we've removed or at least temporarily damned up the stream of that theory being in practice.
Over the vast sweep of history, this is a large part of why societies rise, become very successful, falter as they emphasize the wrong things and then inevitably decline.

North American society in is definite decline.

Perhaps genetic manipulation will end this. Then again, it may just make those societies competing with us even more successful as we use this tool to breed a perfect set of boobs!

Old 05-17-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Perhaps genetic manipulation will end this. Then again, it may just make those societies competing with us even more successful as we use this tool to breed a perfect set of boobs!
I dunno about that, but I hear Japan finally got a realistic vagina going. Didn't delve any deeper than the headline (if you'll excuse the pun), so not exactly certain what that means, but *whoohoo* I guess.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:55 AM

300 posts, read 735,133 times
Quote:
The woman was accomplished, movie star good looking and couldn't get a date.
Correction: she could not get a date she wanted. There is a huge difference: if she just went out, if her looks are as advertised, she would get laid in a minute with whomever. But with her "high standards" (TM) she didn't want to get laid by whomever, she wouldn't settle for anything less than a full fancy-schmancy package she had in mind. With this correction, the drama vanishes in a thin air: you got a very simple, down to the ground case of somebody in a market for something not readily available, and there is no ETA for availability. Thus 3 years of drought. That's a whole reason good looking, much desired for folks go through long dry spells, it's much harder to find someone at your level of coolness. The problem of a temporary fix is that temporary fixes get addicted, they get hurt once dismissed and then you have to do the damage control which takes a long, long time no matter how you tackle it. If you find what you want before the temporary fixes are completely phased out, that can turn ugly.

And, as others note, don't take reality TV seriously. None of it is really reality, it's all scripted, staged, edited except maybe something as boring as COPS.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:55 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,923 times
Quote:
We watched an episode of Millionaire Matchmaker. One of the milionaires was a 41 year old single Mother with a young baby. She came across as very nice, self made and she also happened to be absolutely stunningly good looking. She hadn't been on a date in 3 years and was having trouble with ageist men wanting to date women 10+ years younger than themselves. The other millionaire was 45 and looking to date someone in their late twenties, early thirties. One of the girls he picked for a mini date literally looked like she could be his daughter. The Matchmaker ended up fixing them up with each other, but the female millionaire was not allowed to tell him her age. I just thought how sad this was. The woman was accomplished, movie star good looking and couldn't get a date. What is wrong with this picture? It can't be looks because she was far better looking then most of the 20 somethings. So I guess it's about kids? It's ok for a guy to get to 45 and suddenly decide he wants kids, but a woman at 41 is considered over the hill?Has anyone experienced this IRL? I thought it was absolutely nuts and just wondered if anyone else saw it/ had an opinion on the subject?
Trying to figure out exactly what men want in a woman has been a huge mystery since the days of Adam and Eve...look what Eve ended up doing and she got Adam's butt in a sling with "The Man"....mystery to end all mysteries and poor Adam...he stayed with Eve. Men in general all have this idea that their ideal woman has to be drop dead gorgeous, younger than them, and perhaps even have a little cash..and no kids. Never mind that the guy could be short, fat and bald...they still want this model gorgeous woman. There's no explanation for it...that's just how it is for the most part. You can find some guys who are not quite this shallow but they are few and far between. I have always felt that unless a guy has a gorgeous woman on his arm, he runs the risk of not looking good in front of his "bros"...doesn't want to be talked about because his woman isn't all that good looking...seriously...Let me give you an example:

My ex...first husband...he was very good looking back in the day. I never felt like I deserved to have him as my husband just because he was so handsome. If I didn't wear makeup, he would tell me "You look better with your makekup on"...consequently, I use to sleep in the crap so he wouldn't see me without it. Or, he would notice me gaining even 5 pounds and tell me how FAT I was getting. So, I worked overtime to lose weight, wear makeup, keep my hair done and the Butt Wad still cheated on me 5 times over...then ran off with a married woman who looks like a FREAKIN RABBIT with frosted hair!! AND...she isn't skinny either. So how do you keep them happy? Haven't figured it out yet.

My present husband, he is the best ever. He is 10 years younger than me and says I am "adorable"....that I have "beautiful blue green eyes".....that I am fine the way I am...weight wise that is.....and to not lose weight for him, to do it for myself. He is amazing. So, ladies.....be very choosey who you get involved with and I am not talking about looks-wise...get to know your guy and what he expects and wants in a woman then make your decision. They say women are tough to figure out well.....I think men are just as complicated!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships