Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 02:53 PM

596 posts, read 889,665 times

Advertisements

I guess this is a spin-off from the curfew thread. It made me think of this issue I have with my husband. First of all, there are no trust issues in our marriage and we have been married over 10 years. We are both homebodies and we rarely go out without each other.

However, if I do get an invitation to go out; movie with the girls, get a drink after work, etc - it becomes a BIG deal with him. I'm not that way with him at all. If he goes out, I'm like "whatever - see ya".

But when I make plans, he agrees that he is okay with me going out, then he starts pouting. He makes this ridiculously childish pouty face and says, "I can't believe you are leaving me tonight!" He will do a few more times throughout the week (I always give him advance notice - to be polite), and then he will pout again just before I leave. The only word I can think of that accurately describes he behavior is that he frets. He will say, "What time will you be home? You won't stay out late, will you? Please hurry back as soon as you can. I will miss you!!!"

When I confront him about it, he will back off and say that he is just teasing, but he does this every time. If I tell him that it makes me uncomfortable, he apologizes, but the next time, it starts all over again. I really only go out without him about 3-4 times a year, seriously. But every time I have to put up with this silly routine. Sometimes I turn down invitations because I just don't want the hassle.

By the way, I never stay out late, always tell him where I will be, who I will be with, am available on my cell the whole time. After all these years of marriage, with no trust issues or anything, I just can't understand why he is like this. I thought it would fade with time, but it hasn't.

Help! Has anyone else dealt with this? Am I overreacting? I guess I could be flattered by his behavior and consider myself lucky that he really wants to be with me so much, especially after all these years. But honestly, sometimes it feels like I'm suffocating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 03:00 PM
miu

17,767 posts, read 40,161,054 times
I'm sorry that your husband treats you that way. None of the men in my life have ever minded my nights out with my other friends. And I encourage them to go out and do things with their friends without me. I would feel smothered also if treated as your husband was treating you. Since it you don't have kids, what about getting him a dog to keep him company? I don't think it healthy that he gives you all of his affection and attention like this.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:05 PM

Actually, we do have two kids.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:18 PM
miu

17,767 posts, read 40,161,054 times
I'd think that you going out would mean quality time for him with your kids. Does he not relate well with them?

Old 03-17-2009, 03:47 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,541,151 times
Go out and have a good time. Don't be intimidated. Usually, the guy is jealous and thinks he's going to lose you... in a way, it's his way of saying how much he needs you.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:49 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,456,814 times
Does he have his own friends? Because that might be the problem

Old 03-17-2009, 03:54 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,046,956 times
It sounds like he's being very needy. And if you've explicitly stated that this bothers you and he continues doing it, he's not a good listener or not good at following through. I'm sorry and don't know what to say, but I would suggest not giving into him.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Go out and have a good time. Don't be intimidated. Usually, the guy is jealous and thinks he's going to lose you... in a way, it's his way of saying how much he needs you.
This is what I thought in the beginning. But after all this time?

Old 03-17-2009, 04:22 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,314,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoBankerGirl View Post
I guess this is a spin-off from the curfew thread. It made me think of this issue I have with my husband. First of all, there are no trust issues in our marriage and we have been married over 10 years. We are both homebodies and we rarely go out without each other.

However, if I do get an invitation to go out; movie with the girls, get a drink after work, etc - it becomes a BIG deal with him. I'm not that way with him at all. If he goes out, I'm like "whatever - see ya".

But when I make plans, he agrees that he is okay with me going out, then he starts pouting. He makes this ridiculously childish pouty face and says, "I can't believe you are leaving me tonight!" He will do a few more times throughout the week (I always give him advance notice - to be polite), and then he will pout again just before I leave. The only word I can think of that accurately describes he behavior is that he frets. He will say, "What time will you be home? You won't stay out late, will you? Please hurry back as soon as you can. I will miss you!!!"

When I confront him about it, he will back off and say that he is just teasing, but he does this every time. If I tell him that it makes me uncomfortable, he apologizes, but the next time, it starts all over again. I really only go out without him about 3-4 times a year, seriously. But every time I have to put up with this silly routine. Sometimes I turn down invitations because I just don't want the hassle.

Help! Has anyone else dealt with this? Am I overreacting? I guess I could be flattered by his behavior and consider myself lucky that he really wants to be with me so much, especially after all these years. But honestly, sometimes it feels like I'm suffocating.
I've dealt with this, and I have to say: you're creating a monster. When you say that you turn down invitations because you don't want the hassle of dealing with his petulant behavior, you're just proving to him that he can manipulate you. And that's what he's doing. He's manipulating and controlling you.

I really think you're wrong when you say that you guys have no trust issues in your marriage. It seems to me that your husband DOES have some kind of trust issue. I'm not saying he thinks you're going to cheat on him, but he distrusts something. And honestly...it probably has nothing to do with you and everything to do with him. He's got something going on inside of himself and rather than face it and deal with it, he projects it onto you with this controlling, manipulative stuff. If you react -- realistically! -- to his pouting, he gets defensive, says he's only joking, kisses up to you with "I miss you!" and then puts you in the position of feeling like you have to handle him with kid gloves.

He strikes me as being immature and lacking confidence. You're not his mother, and you shouldn't have to stay home and hold his hand in order for him to be entertained. (Please don't consider yourself flattered by his behavior. If you left to hang out with your friends and then came home and he greeted you at the door with: "God, baby, I'm so glad you're back; lets go upstairs so I can show you what thinking about you while you've been gone has done to me..." Well, THEN I suppose you could feel flattered.)

Old 03-17-2009, 04:26 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,542,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
I've dealt with this, and I have to say: you're creating a monster. When you say that you turn down invitations because you don't want the hassle of dealing with his petulant behavior, you're just proving to him that he can manipulate you. And that's what he's doing. He's manipulating and controlling you.

I really think you're wrong when you say that you guys have no trust issues in your marriage. It seems to me that your husband DOES have some kind of trust issue. I'm not saying he thinks you're going to cheat on him, but he distrusts something. And honestly...it probably has nothing to do with you and everything to do with him. He's got something going on inside of himself and rather than face it and deal with it, he projects it onto you with this controlling, manipulative stuff. If you react -- realistically! -- to his pouting, he gets defensive, says he's only joking, kisses up to you with "I miss you!" and then puts you in the position of feeling like you have to handle him with kid gloves.

He strikes me as being immature and lacking confidence. You're not his mother, and you shouldn't have to stay home and hold his hand in order for him to be entertained. (Please don't consider yourself flattered by his behavior. If you left to hang out with your friends and then came home and he greeted you at the door with: "God, baby, I'm so glad you're back; lets go upstairs so I can show you what thinking about you while you've been gone has done to me..." Well, THEN I suppose you could feel flattered.)
I agree with this 100%. This is not a good thing, don't be flattered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships