Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 12:11 PM

243 posts, read 395,679 times

Advertisements

Great conversation at lunch today. As a male, I love and appreciate women. Personalities as well as looks...

My question is this...seems like the "I am a sex addict" is more commonly used now than ever.

Do you buy it? Aren't most people addicted to sex?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 12:14 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,788,602 times
It's a real condition, but I think like every other addiction, it's been mislabeled and misused by celebrities PR folks in order to appease sponsors and keep out of trouble.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:15 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,257,416 times
It seems feasible to me...endorphines are released during sex and they give you a rush, so I guess someone could become addicted to it...

Old 09-20-2010, 12:19 PM

21,154 posts, read 19,736,448 times
An addiction by definition is unhealthy. Wanting or having a healthy sex life is a different matter. I think people use the term because they are not getting fulfillment out of sex that they would be if they were in a healthy, loving relationship.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:19 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Welcome to the Horny Guys club. We have a large membership of probably 90% of all men on this planet.

I've always thought that the label Sex Addict is used to regularly. It seems to be popular logic for people who've been caught with their pants down and need a good excuse that says "It's not me, I'm an addict and can't help myself" or like Tiger trying to restore an image.

I'm sure there are a few mentally unstable people who probably are compulsive and wacko in the pursuit of getting laid.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:23 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,328,819 times
Meh...could be a real condition but I am always suspect of those who try to put a "label" on what may be typical a**hole behavior.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:54 PM

3,688 posts, read 5,015,710 times
It's an actual psychological condition, but as was pointed out earlier by Coolhand, it gets tossed out there in order to try and justify simple misbehaviour.

Sex addiction has far, far less to do with sexual pleasure than it does coming to base one's identity on the act of sex itself, this playing out in myriad ways from an inability to remain satisfied with one partner (despite what would be dubbed by most anyone a GOOD, even GREAT sex life) to seeking greater and greater levels of stimulation. It IS a psychological addiction with certain "highs" (periods of satisfaction and seeming security) to incredible "lows" (periods of disillusionment and depression combined with insecurity and often self-loathing).

Just saying that because one really (no, I mean REALLY) likes sex is about like me saying I'm a lesbian because WHOOOOO-weee, I loves me them ladies! That's not at all what sexual addiction is about. If the people who toss it out there to justify their behaviour knew the insecurity that goes with it, a lot fewer of them would be so cavalier with the label.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:01 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,306,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
It's a real condition, but I think like every other addiction, it's been mislabeled and misused by celebrities PR folks in order to appease sponsors and keep out of trouble.
Totally agree.

It does exist, but it, like many other psychological addictions/problems, has been overused and abused to explain away bad behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
It's an actual psychological condition, but as was pointed out earlier by Coolhand, it gets tossed out there in order to try and justify simple misbehaviour.

Sex addiction has far, far less to do with sexual pleasure than it does coming to base one's identity on the act of sex itself, this playing out in myriad ways from an inability to remain satisfied with one partner (despite what would be dubbed by most anyone a GOOD, even GREAT sex life) to seeking greater and greater levels of stimulation. It IS a psychological addiction with certain "highs" (periods of satisfaction and seeming security) to incredible "lows" (periods of disillusionment and depression combined with insecurity and often self-loathing).

Just saying that because one really (no, I mean REALLY) likes sex is about like me saying I'm a lesbian because WHOOOOO-weee, I loves me them ladies! That's not at all what sexual addiction is about. If the people who toss it out there to justify their behaviour knew the insecurity that goes with it, a lot fewer of them would be so cavalier with the label.
Yup, it's definitely not about the sex itself, but the high the sex provides. The difference between an addiction and bad behavior is that when an addict doesn't feed their addiction, they literally cannot function.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:07 PM

78,438 posts, read 60,640,522 times
A lot of good posts. A real condition used by a bunch of guys to excuse the fact that they cheated. South Park had a lot of fun making fun of this...great satire.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:14 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,690,945 times
No, you're normal. If you get caught cheating, then you can always whip out the "sex addict" excuse. Sex addict is another label to excuse people from personal responsibility. I'm sure there are a few real ones, but when there is a surge in "cases", I'm immediately suspicious that a new disorder has been invented so that someone can specialize in curing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships