Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 08:41 AM

2,625 posts, read 11,215,716 times

Advertisements

My ex i used to think was good looking, but everybody would always tell me i could do better. My wife now, i used to think she was too pretty for me, but everybody tells me we make a good couple, has anybody told u your s/o was too ugly or pretty/hansome for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 08:43 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
No.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:46 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,797,342 times
I have always thought (speaking really candidly) every woman I dated was "out of my league". Some times it is hard to see yourself the way others do.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:50 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
They've said that to my exes quite often.

It is my cross to bear.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:52 AM

838 posts, read 1,875,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneheaded View Post
I have always thought (speaking really candidly) every woman I dated was "out of my league". Some times it is hard to see yourself the way others do.

Same for me Bonehead. I had some really pretty girlfriends (and married the last one). I never could figure out what they saw in me.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:55 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
My ex i used to think was good looking, but everybody would always tell me i could do better. My wife now, i used to think she was too pretty for me, but everybody tells me we make a good couple, has anybody told u your s/o was too ugly or pretty/hansome for you?
I think that is a horrible thing to say to someone, unless of course, the spouse is a bum or cheater, or abuser...

Anyone who would have the nerve to say something like that to you is rude and unthinking, and they wouldn't be my friend any longer.

I ran into my boss and his family once, while dating someone...the next day at work, his son told me that. He was basing his comment on looks and I really chewed him out when he said that. Turned out, the man was a real piece of work, but at the time that comment was made, I didn't know, nor did my boss's son.

It's a really mean thing to say.
Besides, I don't care what a person looks like, how much property he owns, where he went to college, if he did, nor where he's been. What I care about is how he treats me now...and that goes for new friends as well...there are some very very good looking people out there who have nothing inside...no awareness of the hearts of others. Period.

Any man I dated...the longer I dated him, the more attractive he became to me, if he was beautiful inside.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:03 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,797,342 times
No joke I have been in 3 LTR's all with what most people would say are 8.5-9.5 on a scale of ten. Really beautiful women, I am no Fabio so I was/am in awe. We all have different likes and dislikes in a potential SO; just goes to show you there is someone for everyone.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:04 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I think that is a horrible thing to say to someone, unless of course, the spouse is a bum or cheater, or abuser...

Anyone who would have the nerve to say something like that to you is rude and unthinking, and they wouldn't be my friend any longer.

I ran into my boss and his family once, while dating someone...the next day at work, his son told me that. He was basing his comment on looks and I really chewed him out when he said that. Turned out, the man was a real piece of work, but at the time that comment was made, I didn't know, nor did my boss's son.

It's a really mean thing to say.
It really is.

My husband's godparents are his parents' best friends and dear friends of ours. They are just about my favorite people ever. They have a funny relationship with my in-laws, having known them for about 30 years. My in-laws are both alcoholics and can say the rudest, most embarrassing things. They're not always terrible, and sometimes they are quite nice, but sometimes they are thoughtless.

S, the wife, told me once that my mother-in-law made a disparaging comment about J's looks (the husband). S was so offended. She and J have a wonderful marriage and are crazy about one another, and they have great relationships with their two kids, too. I just couldn't fathom what would prompt my mother-in-law to say something like to one of her oldest friends, when it's completely obvious how much they love one another. Oh wait, I do know ... it was the booze talking.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:31 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,009,690 times
Boy, THIS brings up bad memories!

I was 17 yrs old and overheard co-workers (fast food) discussing how my boyfriend was way, WAY too good-looking for me. Of course, this confirmed suspicions that I had anyway. He was a pretty-boy Italian bodybuilder.

So, I went to my boyfriend and asked him if he thought I was pretty. He said I was pretty on the "inside". Well, you can imagine what this does to the self-esteem of a 17 yr old girl. NOT what I wanted to hear!

Of course, being a glutton for punishment, I married him 5 yrs later. It was a farce of a marriage (long story). We got a divorce just a few years before my parents passed and I inherited a big wad of cash. He actually said to me, "Just think, if I had hung on just a little longer...." What a loser.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:01 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneheaded View Post
My wife is way out of my league. I tell her this all the time.

I also tell her she can't do any better than me.

Once my crazy rich old friend from Brazil said he couldn't understand how ugly guys like me always ended up with beautiful women. This is after he asked me to date his kids' nanny. I declined because I was pretty much engaged at the time, but I thought it was funny that he would insult me in one breath and try to get me to date his "daughter" in the next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships