Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 06:42 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,854,176 times

Advertisements

Marriage, Cohabitation, and Kids - Freakonomics Blog - NYTimes.com

I liked this comment by CandyKay:

" As an American woman living in Scandinavia, I can testify that the giant “Bridezilla” marriage is almost unknown here.

I fear that many American women are more excited about the idea of a fancy wedding than the prospect of actually being married to a man.

This may create weddings that may otherwise not have happened."

Is this part of the "marriage industry" responsible for much early divorce?

Old 04-15-2009, 09:58 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,864,952 times
It is insane how much weddings can cost these days.

Just look at a wedding ring. Wedding rings are 100% marketing. The only thing that is worth something is the silver,gold or platinum in the ring. The diamond is only valuable because of the de beers cartel. Diamonds are not rare at all. There are production limits to keep the price of diamonds high. We even have technology that can produce synthetic diamonds that look 99.99% the same as a real diamond. The only way to find out if the diamond is real is to take it to a certified dealer who can analyze the rock for you.

Why pay 10,000$ for something when you can get a 99.99% replica for 100$?

That tells you something. Any woman who wants a real diamond is taking the marriage as if it was a business transaction. She needs the 10,000 diamond because she wants her little ego to know that she is worth something to the male. Not to mention if the marriage goes south, she can always sell the diamond for a nice profit.

The only reason, IMO, people get married these days is because of some little fantasy belief that when two people love each other they get married. Not to mention all the social customs associated around it. For the male, a man is pressured (sometimes) by family and parents to get married because it is the right thing to do. If you have kids outside of marriage that is considered a sign of a dysfunctional relationship. Then there are the religious implications of all of it.

People these days are told just to get married because it is the right thing to do and everyone needs to get married at some point or another.

and yes the marriage industry is responsible. Just look at some of these diamond commercials. "A diamond is forever."

However, I am not necessarily against weddings. They create a heck of a lot of jobs and consumers spend a lot of money. It is a $50 billion/year industry.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:10 PM

960 posts, read 1,162,752 times
If one spouse can manage to not work for 10 years, they're set for life; the other spouse has to continue to support them, even if that means working until death (at which time the lazy spouse can collect social security earned by the working spouse). That's a big incentive to get married, if you're lazy.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:17 PM

515 posts, read 1,330,142 times
Someone needs to take those .... *insert bad word here* down a notch.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiwos View Post
If one spouse can manage to not work for 10 years, they're set for life; the other spouse has to continue to support them, even if that means working until death (at which time the lazy spouse can collect social security earned by the working spouse). That's a big incentive to get married, if you're lazy.
Great point! Like I said, when you start looking at marriage as a business it suddenly makes sense on all these statistics of who is marrying who.

Once the wealthy guys start opting out of getting married you'll see a huge paradigm shift in american culture.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:39 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,672,657 times
American women have had their head for too long. Time to take back ground lost.

I am all for traditional marriage. I am against commercial marriage. Too much of marriage in the USA for american women is all about the stuff, goodies, money, houses, vacations etc.

I'm watching my other sister go through it right now. The fact she is actually getting married is almost inconsequential. It's all about showers, bridezilla parties(oops I mean bachelorette parties), pre wedding trips, sporting events, more parties hosted by our family and then his family, rehearsals, more parties, wedding day, wedding party, after the wedding breakfast party, after the wedding departing for honeymoon lunch, then a three week honeymoon down under. And not to mention the gifts, the demand for a large house with a yard and fence, more stuff yacka yacka yacka.

And almost no mention of the fact they are getting married.

So that's the problem I have with what is going on in society. It's what I see around me, it's what other women hit me up for. I think everything is ass backwards.

But the women will call me a commitmentphobic because I don't want to be enslaved as a debt workhorse to fund all their lavish expenses from dating to death. Call me whatever you want but I'm no sucka.

When I get married, if I do, it will be about family and making a good and enjoyable life for ourselves, not about granite countertops, fake boobs, brand new cars and high end shopping.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:06 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,854,176 times
Building a life together is a man's idea of romantic. This is the result of not being raised reading Harlequin Romances, Cosmo and Modern Weddings magazine.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
But the women will call me a commitmentphobic because I don't want to be enslaved as a debt workhorse to fund all their lavish expenses from dating to death. Call me whatever you want but I'm no sucka.

When I get married, if I do, it will be about family and making a good and enjoyable life for ourselves, not about granite countertops, fake boobs, brand new cars and high end shopping.
Well my suggestion for you is to not marry a feminist american girl. Try and find one of these eastern european, spanish or asian (japan) girls who was raised with the idea that raising the family and taking care of her man is the most important thing.

I've been with a couple girls like this and let me tell you, they put up a pretty damn good argument on why you should marry them lol. Cook, clean, and great sex OFTEN. Now maybe if I was living in India where the divorce rate is 1%. I'd consider it but with a 50% divorce rate in the US, I'll pass! Too risky for me.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:48 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,530,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Marriage, Cohabitation, and Kids - Freakonomics Blog - NYTimes.com

I liked this comment by CandyKay:

" As an American woman living in Scandinavia, I can testify that the giant “Bridezilla” marriage is almost unknown here.

I fear that many American women are more excited about the idea of a fancy wedding than the prospect of actually being married to a man.

This may create weddings that may otherwise not have happened."

Is this part of the "marriage industry" responsible for much early divorce?
No, it's part of the "I am special" mentality our kids grow up with and that probably does lead to divorce. The marriage industry was born out of the princess syndrome our daughters grow up with. It fuels the fire but it didn't start it. People don't buy things just because they're there. They have to be offered things they want.

Princess want a party to celebrate me syndrome probably does create weddings that may otherwise never have happened. Too many women are more worried about their wedding than their marriage. I wonder what would happen if you had marriage planners instead of wedding planners and people put as much effort into the marriage that they do into the wedding?

Old 04-17-2009, 07:34 AM

657 posts, read 1,599,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
People don't buy things just because they're there. They have to be offered things they want.
Really? Looking at consumerism in America, I'd beg to differ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships