Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 10:47 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,032,217 times

Advertisements

To make a long story short, I was wondering if anyone could relate to this & I was wondering how long it generally takes to get over someone...

there was this guy I was involved w/ last fall & he graduated & is going to medical school this fall..but I've still seen him every now & then on campus, (except now that the year's ending it's become less & less, thank God)

To make a long story short, anytime I feel lonesome/lonely...he is the first thing that pops into my mind...I am graduating next May & I am pretty much 85% over him but the reason I think I still think about him occasionally (more than likely, he comes into my mind like a bittersweet afterthought--if you can imagine that...) We almost had something physical, he was my first real kiss & we almost got to that point of no return. I know he's not good for me because in the end, he stated that he just wanted to "hook up since he was leaving..." & I think he could sense that I wanted something more long-term, because he was always telling me how "nice and sweet and cute" I was...among other things...

Anyways, how long does it take to generally get over a brief, flash-in-the-pan relationship? I am generally a very emotional, sensitive person...I keep my emotions under wraps unless I'm with people I am extremely close to, friends & family (when I say this I mostly mean crying, just unleashing the emotions...)

Thankfully, I've been keeping myself busy with all things school related +my friends, but I know he's not thinking about me & I can't wait for the day when I finally don't think about him, not ever...

Is it possible for someone to leave such a lasting impression that there is a piece of them that you carry with you in heart whether or not you want to or not? Especially once you've kissed them...I know it probably sounds like a question an amateur would ask, but I'm really inquiring here...

Last edited by Chanteuse d' Opéra; 04-16-2009 at 10:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 10:51 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,859,110 times
Aren't final exams coming up soon? Get to work!

Old 04-16-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Aren't final exams coming up soon? Get to work!
I'm taking a study break, finals aren't for another 2 & 1/2 weeks...

Old 04-16-2009, 10:54 PM

670 posts, read 2,115,212 times
It can take a long time, especially if you're not distracted by other men and dating situations. Thankfully, the more time passes and the less you see of him, the easier it gets. I think one of the pitfalls of being an emotional person, is that almost everyone you date/meet/romance you feel something for, because you make connections and you're the type of person for whom connections have meaning, sometimes a deeper resonance than they do for other people. I tend to be this way and I have to consciously tell myself not to take other person too much to heart too soon. But once in a while, someone gets to you anyway, and you just have to wait it out, wait for the memories to fade. Keeping busy and dating other guys, even casually, does help keep your mind from going there.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shania View Post
It can take a long time, especially if you're not distracted by other men and dating situations. Thankfully, the more time passes and the less you see of him, the easier it gets. I think one of the pitfalls of being an emotional person, is that almost everyone you date/meet/romance you feel something for, because you make connections and you're the type of person for whom connections have meaning, sometimes a deeper resonance than they do for other people. I tend to be this way and I have to consciously tell myself not to take other person too much to heart too soon. But once in a while, someone gets to you anyway, and you just have to wait it out, wait for the memories to fade. Keeping busy and dating other guys, even casually, does help keep your mind from going there.
That's why I have vowed to take a while before I become emotionally invested, but it's like once you kiss-all that goes out the window. Despite this though, I have also made the choice to leave the baggage at the door & not to become bitter...

Old 04-16-2009, 11:13 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,870,563 times
Get your butt out to the clubs and bars. Once you've had a couple beers in your system you can't remember anything! Works great

I find it funny though that be bailed on the serious relationship for hooking up once he got to med school. Every chick is probably going out of her way to bang him, they know he will be a doctor one day. Cha ching.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:30 PM

300 posts, read 735,354 times
Not a bad aria, Singer. Now stop singing and listen up. The school is the thing for you now. Trust me, you'll catch up with relationships, friendships and stuff. Better than you imagined. You won't catch up with schooling. So, curtains down, gown off, study.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:31 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
falling in love is like being hit by a truck
falling out of love is like being dragged by one

Old 04-17-2009, 02:06 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,439,063 times
When you meet another man who fancys you, you will forget all about this one.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:15 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,878,133 times
Well, I'm feeling like that about a yw right now, and no one is sparing a tear for my woes, so....why should I feel empathy ? because 'nly women are sentimental, men have balls so they don't allow themselves to show their feelings unless they are gays' and all that crap? I mean, women have to grow balls too, forget the bloody kisser and MOVE ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships