Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 02:59 AM

142 posts, read 279,956 times

Advertisements

As far as I know cracker can be used to describe a racist white person. First day of first grade was also integration day at my school in 1972. I was called a cracker by a black girl. I really thought she meant a soda cracker. I said, "So, you're a burnt one." She looked surprised and laughed. We were friends from then on. I don't think Dana knew what cracker meant either. We were little girls patting each others hair and playing.
Redneck and trashy are words my neighbors and I use to annoy or pick on each other. I wouldn't use them on anyone other than friends or family. When my kids were young I used the phrases "trailer trash" and "white trash" with great disdain and crinkled nose when we passed by a nasty looking home and/or family. I did the same with "criminals" and "bad guys" when we drove pass the jail or a road gang. Having a "college education" was praised each and every day. My 18 and 19 year old children start college this fall. I also called them Doctor J and Doctor T, their names, not initials. We'll see later if that part sunk in. I never aimed at teaching them to hate anyone, it was negative lifestyles I wanted them to develop a distaste for. And before anyone points out I aimed my kids' heads at professional jobs, I did. My family and most of my friends are rednecks, so am I. There are rewards in this lifestyle beyond the worth of money. I want my kids to chose how they live after school, when it's an informed choice. And they were raised to think they had 8 years of college to do after high school. If they stop at 4 or 6, their ma-ma will still be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 08:56 AM

43 posts, read 141,029 times
I would say Ghetto before I say "White Trash" and Ghetto comes in many races, culture etc. One specific race can not be Ghetto that would just be a lie because I have seen almost about every race act ghetto. It might be someone who people believe do not act proper according to the World's standard. It might be they way they speak, dress, live and carry themselves.

FYI the N*** word was used as a form of hate towards black people even if they had a college degree, a big house, money etc, so those two are not the same. People are usually called"WT" when they act a certain way and live in a certain area but they are not refered to that as a whole.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:02 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
This is NOT a good question OP........

Old 04-30-2009, 09:55 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
This is NOT a good question OP........
Why? I think it's a perfectly legit question, because people make that distinction in their every day language when they critique someone else.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:10 AM

41 posts, read 126,556 times
On the History Channel, I watched a show about the coal mining industry back in the early 20th century. The show's historians explained that the term "Redneck" comes from coal miners protesting their poor working conditions; the coal miners banded together, wore red bandannas around their necks, and called themselves "The Redneck Army."

Of course, this is only the origins of the name - "redneck" has evolved to be either a derogatory name, or a badge of pride - depends on how you're looking at it. WT, however, is just offensive all around - unfortunately, we do have an abundance of it here in Metro Detroit.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:50 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,239,673 times
My mother told me growing up that if ever a white person called me the N-word, call them "white trash" in return, i.e., put the hurt right back on 'em.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:16 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
My mother told me growing up that if ever a white person called me the N-word, call them "white trash" in return, i.e., put the hurt right back on 'em.
Did you? When someone calles me whats conceived as a negative word, I just say thanks for the compliment and wink and smile at them. Kind of throws them off guard.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:16 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,336,879 times
Is white trash recycable?

Old 05-01-2009, 07:19 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
I think you can recycle some of it into rednecks.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:31 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Rednecks are proud of what people think about them , White trash don't care . "they don't got no pride"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships