Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 11:22 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneheaded View Post
Disclaimer: I realize not all people that live in mobil homes fit this.

I define white trash as the disposable life style associated with trailer park living. All of the trailer parks I have ever been in are havens of drugs and prostitution. I have family that fits this mold to a T. They always have extra appliances in their yard. Even vehicles in varied stages of assembly in the yard.

I can't imagine coming home to a place like that and feeling good about it.
Actually, I think that's becoming more the exception than the rule. First off, a "trailer" is a recreational vehicle towed behind a pickup for camping and such. If people live in them, well, then they're impoverished. But you can't "trail" even a single-wide mobile home behind a pickup.

Secondly, most mobile home parks I know of are retirement communities for folks age 55 and over. It's actually rather difficult to find a non-retirement park or place to put a manufactured home you've bought. I don't live in a "park" -- I live in a neighborhood with city-sized lots that permits manufactured homes. Everybody owns their homes and their lots, which helps keep the neighborhood looking nice, and the city is fierce about enforcing the property codes. There was an abandoned home across the street from me and the city swooped in to remove it and clean up the lot. I'm sure neighbors complained for the action to be taken so quickly.

Sorry, but this is a sore spot with me. I despise my home being called a "trailer" when it looks like a ranch-style house. It's a 1,350 sq. ft. double-wide. My neighbors are the nicest, hard-working folks you'd ever meet and we have some lovely retired people here, too. It's quieter and safer than the upper middle class neighborhood I used to live in. The kids here can leave their bikes outside in their yards without worries that they'll be stolen.

And "white trash" IS used in many places like the N-word. When we lived in South Texas and were the tiny minority, older Hispanic kids from "the Hood" would pick on my son, beat him, and call him "white trash," knowing FULL WELL that we lived in an upper middle class neighborhood and his mum was a teacher.

It's a term meant to disparage other people and make them feel low. And no one should be excused for belittling others according to the color of their skin and the type of home they have. Some of the nastiest, rudest, least educated people I've encountered live in the "upper class" sections of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 11:24 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,387,014 times
Being white trash is a choice. To me, it ranges from lack of goals in life, no motivation, bad decisions, no thirst for knowledge, and overall not giving a crap about anything. More money doesn't fix that... That's why you see lottery winners broke after two years and back where they were. Pathetic.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:24 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
I am a redneck- born and bred. Can't help it, tried not to be one....but after all these years and living overseas, Vegas, New England.....I'm still a redneck.

That said, I've not ever- ever- ever been white trash.

We consider white trash to be those caucasians who live like parasites- off other people. Typically they have criminal records, have bad teeth due to smoking and not taking care of personal hygiene. They also have a very limited vocabulary - curse often because they don't know what else to say.
Their homes are usually not theirs (owned by someone else-even if it is grandma's trailer) and very unsanitary. Not only are beer cans stacked up to perform art but bottles are found under things-probably holding up the couch since there is a missing leg.
White trash are low in moral character.

But white trash isn't permanent, or it doesn't have to be. You can be raised that way but learn (through tv/movies/friends/peers) that the way you've lived isn't all life has to offer.
Vegas,
You shouldn't use the word redneck. It is very racist. It is not OK to use it even when referring to yourself.
Do you know the etiology of the word?

Rednecks were men who worked in the fields when we still had slavery. White men considered blacks to be the lowest form of human life. N-words, if you will.
Some white men had to work in the fields with the slaves. It was the most degrading and horrifying job that a white man could hold... to be placed alongside black men. (I don't feel this way... I'm saying people once felt that way.).

The white men, from working in the fields, would get sunburns on the back of their necks... rednecks.

This is a disgusting term. It is derogatory towards whites, and offensive towards blacks. It's like saying, "I am as bad as a black slave." and offensive because it means you think that blacks are lower than scum, and you are lumping yourself in with poor, uneducated, unskilled scum.

Why would you want to use such a word?

Old 04-25-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
There's nothing wrong with being a redneck. I come from a family of hard-working farmers, and we gently tease one another about being rednecks and city slickers. I have tremendous respect for how hard they work (or worked--they're mostly all retired now).

Redneck, hillbilly, white trash ... these all have different meanings.

Just Julia... please read my last post. There is something wrong with using the word redneck. Why are people saying that the term "White trash" should not be used, but have no problem with the word, "Redneck?".

Rednecks are not the same as "Hillbillies"

I feel like some think the terms are interchangeable. They are not.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:31 AM

I'd also like to add... please don't use the term "Cracker" to refer to white people.

It has nothing to do with looking like the color of a cracker.

It comes from white slave holders "Cracking" a whip against slaves' backs.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:33 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Just Julia... please read my last post. There is something wrong with using the word redneck. Why are people saying that the term "White trash" should not be used, but have no problem with the word, "Redneck?".

Rednecks are not the same as "Hillbillies"

I feel like some think the terms are interchangeable. They are not.
Yes, I saw what you said. I know the various etymologies of "redneck" and believe there's no clear answer. It's not a compliment, but when said by certain people to certain people, it bears no sting. Someone who wants to sneer at my family doesn't need the word "redneck" to do it.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:33 AM

2,886 posts, read 8,283,607 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
"White trash" and "trailer trash" are demeaning words used to describe anglos who are below the poverty level and who live their lives without cultural refinement. Such words are used by people who live in an upper class neighborhood and who usually look down on people with less education as them.

P.S. They are derogatory terms and should not be used .

Thread stopper;
Good post temp!! Short concise very tru and to the point
Rep

Old 04-25-2009, 11:38 AM

Just Julia,
Ok, I concede. I just read a whole bunch of articles, and there is no consensus on the etiology of the word. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I know many people who believe that is where the word comes from.

If I'm wrong, my apologies... but regardless, it can be very offensive to people who believe that is where the word is from.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:40 AM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
More money doesn't fix that... That's why you see lottery winners broke after two years and back where they were. Pathetic.
Blowing lotto winnings happens to all types of people not just white trash.

8 lottery winners who lost their millions - MSN Money

Old 04-25-2009, 11:43 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Just Julia,
Ok, I concede. I just read a whole bunch of articles, and there is no consensus on the etiology of the word. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I know many people who believe that is where the word comes from.

If I'm wrong, my apologies... but regardless, it can be very offensive to people who believe that is where the word is from.
Well, I promise I use the term sparingly and affectionately about people I know very well. It's like guys who say, "Jeff, you ugly son-of-a-*****" (or gun) or "Jim, you old bastard" to one another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships