Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 01:35 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,581,431 times

Advertisements

When dating, it's appreciated when a woman offers, but I would never take it. If she were talking me to dinner on an occasion like my birthday, I would let her pay. I would have no problem if it's in a bar, and she walks over and hands me a drink, but I wouldn't take the money. I'm married now, so that changes things though. If I take money from her pocket, at least I know where that money will be spent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 12:13 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,589,592 times
With the economical down pour these days it does take two to keep all going. It is my understanding that it is the collaborating efforts of a team, be it husband and wife or significant spouses who share in the paying of the bills. I'm even of the mind that maybe our lives would be made better if the children also were not in such a big hurry to leave the home, but stay and work and help pay expenses. Kind of like, well very much like, the show, "The Waltons".

However, with families who may stay together longer, boundaries perhaps need to be set. And no one likes, rules and boundaries...

Some are actually doing this these days and it is getting common that ex spouses are sharing one roof. A woman local woman over heard my conversation with my daughter in that I'm living with my ex. She asked me how that was working out for us? Then she told me that she too was staying with her ex thus her inquiring on my situation. She was a nurse! (good salary)

Here is this situation where I came here in order to only stay just long enough to get on my feet and leave. There is no mention of any statement like, well you know I will expect you to ____. Until, I start getting ahead. Then the shoe drops.

What I came up with he doesn't want me to leave. Because if he did, he'd be like, oh I hope you get your money saved up so you can get the heck out of here. So, no, he will use what he can as it suits him.

However, there have been other relationships and other experiences, that well, one man after we had been dating for 2 years asked me how much money did I expect to make in a year? My thought at that moment was, if I don't make enough money, we're not getting married...and no, we didn't.

So where's the value in a relationship? In the size of each other's wallet?

Could be if you keep 'em poor and broke they can't escape.

The scenarios are endless....but men taking money from a woman, the optimum word there is 'take'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships