Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 10:39 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I once read that 90% of our self-esteem has solidified by the time we finish high school. I hope not. I think I changed a lot, for the better, during college and during the time I entered the work force.
I've read that 85% (pretty sure it was 85... I'm positive it was over 50%, though) of our emotional make-up is done by the age of 5! Pretty scary!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 10:40 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,358,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I once read that 90% of our self-esteem has solidified by the time we finish high school. I hope not. I think I changed a lot, for the better, during college and during the time I entered the work force.
maybe, but from my viewpoint, positive experiences after that period of time can put one in a tailspin and have you coming out on top anyway

Old 05-11-2009, 10:44 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,721,399 times
I've always been an Introvert, but I've started to masquerade a little as an extrovert sometimes, especially around people I know or small groups of people.

But mostly, I'm just an Introvert.

In high school I used to reaaaaally be an introvert, but since I entered college and got a job that dealt with people I've come out of my shell quite a bit. I can strike up a conversation with a stranger and not feel weird about it at all usually. maybe that has something to do with where I work as well (I sell "personal massagers" as well as lots of other things along those lines). :P

Old 05-11-2009, 10:54 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puru View Post
I've always been an Introvert, but I've started to masquerade a little as an extrovert sometimes, especially around people I know or small groups of people.

But mostly, I'm just an Introvert.
It's not necessarily a masquerade. I know many here don't believe in astrology, but the more I read about it the more I find it right on the spot. I'm talking about the full natal charts, not just the Sun signs and certainly not about the BS horoscopes in the papers. I've compiled detailed information about myself that sounds like somebody was sitting across from me and describing me! Fascinating!

For instance, I'm a Capricorn and we're known for being reserved, practical, disciplined, etc. That we are; however, how you present yourself to the outside world is influenced by your Ascendant (mine is Leo; totally different animal...) and how you act in intimate relationships is influence by your Venus sign (again not Capricorn).

Old 05-11-2009, 11:19 PM

670 posts, read 2,115,017 times
I think I was very extroverted as a child, then became an introvert due to life experiences (some negative). But in certain situations, would revert to acting more like an extrovert (as in playing sports, performing in the arts, etc.). In other situations (scholastic, new social situations, etc.) tend to be an introvert. I'm still kind of a mix. Tend to come out of my shell more as I get to know the people I'm with. Love to have a good time and try new things, but also like some quiet time alone to just think about things or read.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:08 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,005,075 times
Most introverts have desirs to talk, be in social situations, or put yourselves out there like most extroverts are prone to do. They can be people persons. Introversion doesn't equal shy- it's a determination of how you are energized. Most of the time (not always) an introvert can be around people, socialize, and enjoy the party, but eventually they will need to pull back and be alone, to recover. So to all my fellow introverts in this thread, it's not extroversion you are experiencing, it's probably more comfort in the situation. In the end, most of you agree that after a measure of time, it's time to fall back and be alone. That's introversion.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:46 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,381,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
Most introverts have desirs to talk, be in social situations, or put yourselves out there like most extroverts are prone to do. They can be people persons. Introversion doesn't equal shy- it's a determination of how you are energized. Most of the time (not always) an introvert can be around people, socialize, and enjoy the party, but eventually they will need to pull back and be alone, to recover. So to all my fellow introverts in this thread, it's not extroversion you are experiencing, it's probably more comfort in the situation. In the end, most of you agree that after a measure of time, it's time to fall back and be alone. That's introversion.
You've written some great stuff. I can relate.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:49 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,551,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
I was just about to ask someone to find some info that explains this, as I was confused as to what I am at the core. This is me, no doubt.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:52 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,013,049 times
I'm an introvert, mostly because I just don't enjoy people that much. I am friendly in social situation. I can be funny and charming, but it's exhausting after a while. I guess that's why I like CD so much. I have control over the amount and type of socializing I do here.

Also, I almost always eat lunch alone. I really enjoy my alone time reading, listening to my Ipod, etc. I just don't understand people that are uncomfortable being alone.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:02 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,646,492 times
Introvert.

What I hate is how this word has come to have negative connotations, as if there's something wrong with being an introvert. You can't really change your personality. And frankly you shouldn't have to just to conform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships