Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 02:19 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times

Advertisements

No one has porches anymore. All the entertainment is inside, and the work.

But my mother never socialized with the neighbors when I was growing up. The kids played but I don't think the women had much in common even when they had kids. My mother had friends but not on our block.

The woman across the street had more money and was always pregnant so she never visited. The woman next door was an older lady and stayed inside. The other side was a woman who worked outside the home, yes, even back then.

So far my neighbors may or may not visit, I don't watch them. We and another neighbor had a block party last fall and many of them came to it. I think you need to make arrangements like block parties, etc. I take care of my grandson and he is small so I don't go out with him yet. Maybe when he gets older we can go on walks and see the neighbors, if any are out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 02:20 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,299,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Because they're all on the internet arranging trysts, mixing martinis, and indulging in lesbian love games that involve the slow shedding of tennis skirts and PTA role playing. Next question?
Hmm, can I have the street name please?

Anyway some neighborhoods are social and some are not. I don't see many people socializing on 2 of the cul-de-sacs my friends live on. People recognize their neighbors cars and occassionally step out to say hello, but that is it.

The only people who can consider each other acquaintances are the ones who have young children that play together. The kids like to be in each others houses, so that forces the parents to meet and exchange a few words.

I know of one street where everyone hangs out in each others driveway at barbecues and holidays, but they are all military connected and the community is brand new so everyone moved in within months of each other.

It looks cool on the surface but there is much gossip and cattiness when you dig a bit deeper, so sometimes keeping to your own home is not so bad afterall.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:21 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
I don't care for gossip. Maybe your neighbors don't either?

Old 05-21-2009, 02:53 PM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,182,589 times
It has been in my experience that the men do more socializing than the women. I think it all has to do with measuring up to the "Jones's" syndrome! Been my experience that woman in general are funny about close friendships with neighbors. That in combination with the hectic busy lives we all live really doesn't leave or lend itself to the type of closeness or friendship you speak of. Not to be misunderstood there may be a couple that talk or visit briefly but nothing like the imaginary world you describe.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:02 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Do you live on our street? You sound like our neighbors.

That is just the type of feedback I was looking for. It appears like a good percentage of people have no interest in leaving their home, walking around, talking to the neighbors, or being social to anyone outside their long term friends and family. Right?
Pretty much...after all, you don't know who you can trust these days. Sometimes, even if you live with them.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:06 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Quote:
A house on our street was for sale a few months ago, and a middle aged woman who was thinking of purchasing it, saw me outside and asked me if I could talk to her about the neighborhood. She told me that she would be a "stay at home Mom" and wanted to know if there were any other people like her on the street. I told her yes, about half the houses on the dead end street were occupied by stay at home Moms. The husbands must be making enough money to make it possible.

All the stay at Mom's are about the same age, race, social economic group and even look alike.

She seemed excited and asked if they talked and socialized in each others home or out in the street. I told her no. Instead they all appear to be inside all the time and I have never seen any examples of any of them socializing at all. In fact everyone seems isolated from each other.

Of course everyone would explain that everyone is so busy now days. But really? The kids are off at school during the day and the woman just sit inside doing what ever, even on nice days I never see anyone outside.

Why can't the women find something in common and spend a few minutes talking out on the street or on their yards like when I was a kid? I know they are really busy they say but does no one have a minute free when the kids are at home?

The woman thanked me and decided not to buy the home. Hopefully she will find a friendly neighborhood, where the stay at home Moms will visit across the fence. Or is that idea dead?
I'm sure the owners of the home for sale will thank you tremendously for doing them such a wonderful favor!

Old 05-21-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
There seems to be a large response so far from people who believe they are to busy or important to make some friendly chit chat with the neighbors. I am not talking about a long conversation about the price of tea in China but maybe a few comments now and then. Who knows you might actually enjoy each others company.

More feedback?
Maybe these ladies DO get outside. Perhaps they spend time in their backyards. Maybe some of them "escape" from their homes without you watching. I'll assume that at some point you put down the binoculors to use the toilet, right? Maybe that's when they make their break. You don't know what these people do 24/7 .... or do you???

Old 05-21-2009, 03:10 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
She's the Angela Lansberry of her neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Maybe these ladies DO get outside. Perhaps they spend time in their backyards. Maybe some of them "escape" from their homes without you watching. I'll assume that at some point you put down the binoculors to use the toilet, right? Maybe that's when they make their break. You don't know what these people do 24/7 .... or do you???

Old 05-21-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
She's the Angela Lansberry of her neighborhood.
Are you sure our esteemed OP is a "she"? I think the OP has been reincarnated several times, the first incarnation being Dingler, to my knowledge - then Goodtype, then Refugee56, then another name with the word "Travel" in it. It could be a "she", but I'm thinking it's a "he". Okay - we compromise, eh .... how 'bout it's a "shemale"!!!

BTW, when the OP was either Dingler or Refugee56, another post was made that was almost identical to this one. Perhaps I'll find it and post it here so everyone can do a comparison ... a Pepsi taste test, if you will.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:52 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
Well from what the neighbors have told me the old neighbors who just moved out before we moved in were nuts. Had the police come at all hours to break up fights. Arrested the woman and had to hog tie her to throw her into the police car. She would take her dog to do his business in the neighbors yard even though she have a big yard. They went to court to stop her froim harrasing them after they asked her to stop bringing her dog over. It got nasty.

We got lucky to have them move out before we moved in and now they lost the house so they will be gone for good----I hope. Maybe there is just too much of that kind of thing going on now and most people want to have peace and quiet in their own home. Most times quiet neighbors are a blessing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships