Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 03:59 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,930,339 times

Advertisements

The OP said the moms all look similar..

Is your burb called "Stepford"?

I never go outside. I peer through the blinds and laugh hysterically while my robo-hubby cleans up after me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 04:27 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,454,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Are you sure our esteemed OP is a "she"? I think the OP has been reincarnated several times, the first incarnation being Dingler, to my knowledge - then Goodtype, then Refugee56, then another name with the word "Travel" in it. It could be a "she", but I'm thinking it's a "he". Okay - we compromise, eh .... how 'bout it's a "shemale"!!!

BTW, when the OP was either Dingler or Refugee56, another post was made that was almost identical to this one. Perhaps I'll find it and post it here so everyone can do a comparison ... a Pepsi taste test, if you will.
There was an attempt on the Politics forum to desipher her/him. It seems that both husband/wife log in to the same account. Both are pessimistic, though - looking for the dark side of people. Never saying what they are doing themselves (in this instance, do they approach ANYONE in their neighbourhood?). Implying people are bad, and that's EXACTLY what they are looking for.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:03 PM

341 posts, read 902,710 times
City life has come to the burbs.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:25 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Unfortunately, most people spend an inordinate amount of time staring at either a computer or television screen. So outdoor activities unless they are "planned" are becoming more and more rare into day's soicety.

As for not having anything in common. It has been my experience that whenever mothers get together they are usually incapable of talking about anything EXCEPT their children. So somehow I do not think that would be a problem.

In the neighborhood that I came from (I have since moved out into the country), neighbors did not socialize simply because they did not like each other. Maybe that is the case in your neighborhood too.

20yrsinBranson
I agree. One thing I enjoyed about the power grid failure in the midwest a few years back was that everyone was outside talking to each other. All our electronic devices and our cars serve to isolate us. It becomes too much effort to actually see people when you can email and get back to them when you have time.

It's kind of sad.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:16 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Why can't the women find something in common and spend a few minutes talking out on the street or on their yards like when I was a kid?
Maybe the assumption is invalid and today's moms are outside just as much. Maybe it is perception. You may have maximized the memory of moms being outside as a kid when in fact they weren't outside anymore than they are now.

We need data.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:39 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,433,444 times
OP, I just wish my neighborhood was as quiet as yours. Around here, the neighbors are all up in each others business, and they excuse everything with the so called "neighborhood watch". I need to move out of here!!!!!!!!

Old 05-22-2009, 04:29 AM

943 posts, read 3,160,779 times
Default What a sad state of affairs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I don't care for gossip. Maybe your neighbors don't either?

So if the neighbors speak to each other on occasion nothing good will come of it? Instead by doing some occasional chit chat the street will become a soap opera with tons of gossip?

Old 05-22-2009, 04:36 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,433,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Maybe these ladies DO get outside. Perhaps they spend time in their backyards. Maybe some of them "escape" from their homes without you watching. I'll assume that at some point you put down the binoculors to use the toilet, right? Maybe that's when they make their break. You don't know what these people do 24/7 .... or do you???
If the neighbors are aware of when she's using the toilet, then obviously she has bigger problems than looking at her neighbors when they go outside. Like, how do they know she's in the bathroom, or the kitchen, or wherever? Who's really watching who?

Old 05-22-2009, 09:03 AM

943 posts, read 2,281,099 times
I remember when I was a kid, Id be playing over neighbors houses and mom would have meals, chats, coffee with them, even when she was working part time.

Neighbors just do not talk to each other anymore. It is a sad decline of our society. They think you are weird even if say hello!

Old 05-22-2009, 10:42 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheredoIlive? View Post
I remember when I was a kid, Id be playing over neighbors houses and mom would have meals, chats, coffee with them, even when she was working part time.

Neighbors just do not talk to each other anymore. It is a sad decline of our society. They think you are weird even if say hello!
Yes, this is how it was. They didn't all have to have everything in common, all were welcome. We had a blue collar family next door whose kids we played with, there was a childless couple, some hippies, an old man who grew the best vegetables and shared them with all of us, a well-off retired couple, a family who adopted handicapped kids, a packrat family with a messy house and yard, etc. All these personalities, different religions, ideogies, lifestyles. No one hated each other. They would walk over and chat just for the heck of it. It was so loose that we would invite strangers walking by to our barbeques. Dang, how could it change so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships