Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 11:00 PM
ttz ttz started this thread

677 posts, read 1,666,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
My point was that he knew she was a smoker when he got involved. I was saying that there is a dynamic in play here that has nothing to do with the smoking.
Yes I knew she smoked, but I ASSumed she smoked like most people. Up to say half a pack to a pack maybe? Not her. 3 solid packs a day, lit one up every ~20 minutes by the clock when she wasn't chain smoking them. I only saw her once a week for several weeks before I found this out. Yes I should of ran at that point... I have seen the health consequences of her habit so far and she will suffer if she does not stop soon...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 11:12 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttz View Post
Yes I knew she smoked, but I ASSumed she smoked like most people. Up to say half a pack to a pack maybe? Not her. 3 solid packs a day, lit one up every ~20 minutes by the clock when she wasn't chain smoking them. I only saw her once a week for several weeks before I found this out. Yes I should of ran at that point... I have seen the health consequences of her habit so far and she will suffer if she does not stop soon...
Well, if you cannot handle her addiction,and she cannot stop....move on!

Old 06-14-2009, 03:52 AM

4,498 posts, read 6,316,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttz View Post

Three packs a day!

Ok, I was right about one thing, someone has a problem here but it is her. Nobody smokes that much unless they have problems, it's a slow suicide. I can understand your problem with this but seriously there is nothing you can do except leave her to it. Maybe the loss might jolt her into doing something about it.

Cigarettes are just as much a mental addiction as they are a physical one, probably more so. The physical addiction can be handled if the head is in the right place. She needs to get her head in that place and unfortunately you can't do it for her. I've known people who chain smoke like that and they are the ones who still smoke even after being diagnosed with emphysema or cancer.

You have to decide what you can handle and you have to assume that she won't change when you make that decision. If you really can't handle the smoking, as hard as it is, you have to say goodbye and break off contact. If she says she will give up, tell her to give you a call when she does. Who knows, you just might be the inspiration she needs to give up.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:38 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
That's a mean thing to say WyoNewk.There is a real good book on the market I read once, called:
"Helpng Your Loved One Quit" or something like that.

Yeah, I'd just read the thread about grumpy old 62-year-old men.

To be perfectly honest, I can't imagine anyone being so set against smokers that they'd end an otherwise happy relationship because their S.O. won't quit. My wife smokes. Yeah, I wish she'd quit, but I don't hound her about it, and I never will. My late wife also smoked. She died at a young age (51), but it had nothing to do with her smoking. We slipped a few cigs in her pocket before she was cremated.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:51 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
That's a mean thing to say WyoNewk.There is a real good book on the market I read once, called:
"Helpng Your Loved One Quit" or something like that.
There's also something called: refrain from giving unsolicited advice.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:56 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,341,507 times
This is a tough situation. You went into the relationship knowing that she smoked and now, this far down the road, you've decided it's a bigger problem than you realized. You need to decide now if she's worth putting up with the smoking or not. If not, leave her sooner rather than later so she can find someone she's more compatible with, and won't be arguing with the rest of her shortened life.

I've lost one uncle to lung cancer at age 57 (he was a 3+ pack a day chain smoker) and a second uncle just had most of his right lung removed (he quit smoking a year ago after a 30 year habit) so I'm certainly not one to tell you to just deal with it. Lung cancer is a nasty way to die.

There are smokers on this forum whose posts I enjoy reading and tend to agree with the majority of the time. I have good friends who smoke (although they at least try to sit downwind of me when they light up) but I would never under any circumstances date a smoker. It's the biggest dealbreaker for me because I would never willingly put myself through what my aunt went through watching her husband die a slow painful death. He was one of my favorite uncles and family gatherings have not been the same, all because of cigarettes.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:19 AM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
My point was that he knew she was a smoker when he got involved. I was saying that there is a dynamic in play here that has nothing to do with the smoking.
And MY point is that you can love someone regardless of certain habits, but that doesn't preclude wanting them to be healthy.

This is not about changing another person. If it were about changing a hobby, a style, or one's friends - yes, i could see how that could be the case.

But, "I LOVE YOU, STOP KILLING YOURSELF" is NOT an infringement on some libertarian ideal.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:48 AM
ttz ttz started this thread

677 posts, read 1,666,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
And MY point is that you can love someone regardless of certain habits, but that doesn't preclude wanting them to be healthy.

This is not about changing another person. If it were about changing a hobby, a style, or one's friends - yes, i could see how that could be the case.

But, "I LOVE YOU, STOP KILLING YOURSELF" is NOT an infringement on some libertarian ideal.
Thank you! I now wonder is it the Non Smokers that only see it this way?!??

Old 06-15-2009, 10:09 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Three packs a day?! Ye gods.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:41 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,515,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If this is a deal breaker then it's a deal breaker. You knew she smoked when you started going out with her so obviously she had qualities you liked. Apparently your thing with cigarettes now overshadows those other qualities. Give the woman a break and stop seeing her. She won't have to put up with your nagging then, either.

As a smoker I think dumping someone because they smoke would be as dumb as dumping someone who didn't, but that's just me.

I agree. He dated her, then tried to change her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships