Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2009, 11:02 AM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godsavethequeens View Post
Why is this so prevalent? Why are so many men (and women, as well) who are married, with children, house, etc., compromising that for same-sex sexual experiences? This seems to be the newest and strongest wave in spousal cheating. Does it show that many people are involved in sham marriages?
I guess that my question is: Is this really more prevalent now? Also, what studies suggest that this is the newest and strongest wave in spousal cheating? In general, I'm just wondering what leads you to conclude that this is newer, stronger, or more prevalent now.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:05 AM

6,084 posts, read 6,047,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I'm thinking specifically of Guv McGreevey who left office because he had given his male lover a good job in his administration, even though the guy wasn't qualified. McGreevey paraded his wife at press conferences and such. It was only a bit later that SHE spoke out while going through the divorce proceedings and called him on his lies and hurtful behavior. She wound up broken-hearted and he's doing fine.
I remember hearing a story that the former gov., his wife and the male chauffeur were having threesomes. I don't think his wife was totally oblivious to what floats his boat.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:14 AM

491 posts, read 926,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
That's how it is, not just how you thought it worked.

Making up new definitions to pretend everyone likes or participates in homosexual activity is just another PC psyop.
Not to mention a lie.

It's like a guy in prison who has/forces sex with another man. He claims he's not homosexual. If he has sex with a man, he is homosexual or bisexual. If he's a victim, he is a rape victim.

bisexual: 3. sexually attracted to both sexes.
Prison sexuality is a completely different phenomenon from sexual orientation. Look it up. Assumptions like these are why I keep emphasizing that sexual orientation is not always who you have sex with, but what you're oriented/attracted to.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey123 View Post
I guess that my question is: Is this really more prevalent now? Also, what studies suggest that this is the newest and strongest wave in spousal cheating? In general, I'm just wondering what leads you to conclude that this is newer, stronger, or more prevalent now.
I've just noticed that it's been getting a lot of exposure, and is discussed frequently in various venues.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:18 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,013,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey123 View Post
Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me. I used to teach at a high school and it floored me how many of the boys, even the most "macho" and raging-athletic, thought nothing of engaging in homo-erotic behavior. They saw it as a quick, uncomplicated "release" of sexual desire and one that couldn't get anyone pregnant. They would NEVER identify as either homo- or bi-sexual and they had girlfriends.

Now, how did I know this was going on? The security guard caught boys in the parking lot during lunch hour. And if you talked to the boys about it, they'd admit it. They saw no problem with it. In states where you have "abstinence-only" education, this is coming up. Kids don't consider oral sex as "sex" and they feel like they can still claim to be virgins unless they have straight-up heterosexual intercourse.

So, perhaps these young men are grown up, aren't satisfied with their sex lives at home with their wives, and long ago decided that engaging in homosexual acts is meaningless and not "cheating." As I said, it wouldn't surprise me.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me. I used to teach at a high school and it floored me how many of the boys, even the most "macho" and raging-athletic, thought nothing of engaging in homo-erotic behavior. They saw it as a quick, uncomplicated "release" of sexual desire and one that couldn't get anyone pregnant. They would NEVER identify as either homo- or bi-sexual and they had girlfriends.

Now, how did I know this was going on? The security guard caught boys in the parking lot during lunch hour. And if you talked to the boys about it, they'd admit it. They saw no problem with it. In states where you have "abstinence-only" education, this is coming up. Kids don't consider oral sex as "sex" and they feel like they can still claim to be virgins unless they have straight-up heterosexual intercourse.

So, perhaps these young men are grown up, aren't satisfied with their sex lives at home with their wives, and long ago decided that engaging in homosexual acts is meaningless and not "cheating." As I said, it wouldn't surprise me.
Thus, can you indefinitely call these men homosexual?

Old 06-25-2009, 11:33 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,013,272 times
Quote:
Thus, can you indefinitely call these men homosexual?
Nope. Just opportunistic, LOL. And, again, they're trying to find the loopholes in what society demands so they can claim to be abstinent and satisfy their sexual urges at the same time.

It was problematic, though, with the young men who truly WERE homosexual. They'd get crushes on these guys and think they had a chance (when the guys were totally using them) and if they "overstepped a boundary," the guys would beat them up. I felt really badly for them and tried to warn them but they wouldn't listen. I guess they had fantasies of dating the quarterback, too, and being accepted by the "in-crowd." Never happened.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:40 AM

94 posts, read 225,185 times
Quote:
Why is this so prevalent? Why are so many men (and women, as well) who are married, with children, house, etc., compromising that for same-sex sexual experiences? This seems to be the newest and strongest wave in spousal cheating. Does it show that many people are involved in sham marriages?
I think that there are a great deal of older men in these situations because at the time they were in their teens/20's society was not as accepting of homosexuality. They probably felt they had no choice. Now they find themselves in their 50's/60's and older living in a society that is now more accepting of this. I wonder how many men who have been married for 40 or more years with children and grandchildren really were hiding a side of themselves that they felt no one would understand/accept.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Nope. Just opportunistic, LOL. And, again, they're trying to find the loopholes in what society demands so they can claim to be abstinent and satisfy their sexual urges at the same time.

It was problematic, though, with the young men who truly WERE homosexual. They'd get crushes on these guys and think they had a chance (when the guys were totally using them) and if they "overstepped a boundary," the guys would beat them up. I felt really badly for them and tried to warn them but they wouldn't listen. I guess they had fantasies of dating the quarterback, too, and being accepted by the "in-crowd." Never happened.
Very sad, indeed. "Opportunistic" sounds very fitting in this scenario.

On another note, you seem to have more awareness and a better grasp of these issues than many of the other people posting, and a more thorough understanding of sexuality, so I commend you for that.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:00 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
It is action. Self-identified hetero men and women who are seeking a sexual encounter with another man or woman while maintaining their status as "heterosexual." I mean, is that really possible? It's not an easy question to answer, IMHO.
Not easy for you perhaps. Cut and dried for others. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.