Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 11:49 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,155,362 times

Advertisements

We do the same. His snoring was causing me to suffer severe health problems b/c of lack of sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 11:51 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,397,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Recently some distant relatives and old friends who have not seen us for a long time came to visit. When we showed them around the house of course they noticed that Jerry and I sleep in separate rooms. They acted all strange and suggested we must be in a marriage of convenience or gay and just married to look good. They were quite bold and told us that a loving couple do not sleep in separate rooms.

We have to because he snores so bad and we have completely different sleep schedules and we can not sleep with our insomnia in the same bed.

Are we that strange?
I don't know - do you share with them the same things you share with us? Looking back at some of the topics you choose to post on, coupled with the fact that you & "Jerry" sleep in separate rooms, I'd think you were a little strange.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:11 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,864,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Not at all. Fences make good neighbors while seperate bedrooms (and bathrooms) make for a happy - long lasting- marriage.
Yeah. I'd say ignore them. Its not just snoring or different timetables either. Different metabolism can be a huge factor.

Unfortunately, many are particularly sensitive to what others think. This also affects who many select for a relationship, too. Often to their long term regret.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:15 PM

943 posts, read 3,164,146 times
The media tells us that we have to share a bed, have sex daily, look like a fashion model, an be like Tiger Woods (bi racial), or we are nothing.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:17 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,457,559 times
Sometimes I get the bed all to myself, and it is glorious to stretch out diagonally across it...I get great sleep that way.

Screw those other people. Sleep is one of the most important things you do.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:20 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,325,555 times
To each their own and whatever works best for you and all that, but I could not imagine not sharing a bed with my wife. My snoring sucks. She wears earplugs because she'd rather do that than not be in the same bed with me.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
The media tells us that we have to share a bed, have sex daily, look like a fashion model, an be like Tiger Woods (bi racial), or we are nothing.
Really? When did they tell us this?

Old 06-25-2009, 01:25 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,173,792 times
Quote:
Recently some distant relatives and old friends who have not seen us for a long time came to visit. When we showed them around the house of course they noticed that Jerry and I sleep in separate rooms. They acted all strange and suggested we must be in a marriage of convenience or gay and just married to look good. They were quite bold and told us that a loving couple do not sleep in separate rooms.

We have to because he snores so bad and we have completely different sleep schedules and we can not sleep with our insomnia in the same bed.

Are we that strange?
Not at all. Why you choose to sleep in separate rooms is your own business and I would have anyone who felt the need to comment on my personal life just that.

Everybody is different and we all make the necessary ajustments in life that are necessary. I'm sure that your relatives and old friends have their own peculiarities that would make other peoples' hair stand on end.

Nobody has room to talk, I'm afraid, or pass judgment.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-25-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
NO you are not strange!! When I first met my husband and he fell asleep in front of the tv for the first time, I thought a freight train was coming to plow through the house at any second. He was the loudest snoring human being on the face of this earth...how he had any sinus' left was beyond me. I contemplated getting involved with someone who was going to more than definitely keep me awake at nights.

Well, the first time I stayed overnight with him at his condo, I ended up going downstairs and sleeping on his couch and still had to put a pillow over my head so I could sleep. He was kind of hurt when he found me down there. I asked him if he realized how LOUD he was and he said he knew because on a business trip where he had to share a room with another salesman, (two beds! LOL) the guy slept in the freakin tub to get away from my husband's snoring.

Ok....I have been with my husband for 12 years now and we do sleep separate because of his problem..it has gotten a little better or I am slowly going deaf from it..one or the other. Either way, we love each other very much and when it comes to the physical part of our relationship, there are lots of places inside our home to "get together" AND then there are places where we can both get our rest.

Your old friends are wrong on this one!
Have you tried any of the anti-snoring devices out there? There are some that work pretty well and are not as intrusive as those stupid masks. And if those don't work, there's also a very simple medical procedure where they can harden your soft palate, which prevents it from collapsing in your sleep, which is the source of snoring. My brother-in-law had that done and it works like a charm.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:27 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,904,862 times
When I worked in a law office, there was an attorney there who slept in a different bedroom away from his wife. He had a major snoring problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships