Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 12:44 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,030,940 times

Advertisements

Why doesn't your "friend" just get a girl who's half-American and half-Asian? It's the best of both worlds! Like hitting two birds with one stone!

Old 11-15-2009, 01:39 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,079,557 times
It's kind of ignorant how this thread keeps on generalizing about "Asian women". Asia is an enormous and diverse place. Lots of cultures and places in Asia are almost the complete opposites of one another.

I'm not being politically correct here. It's just a fact. Different parts of Asia, and thier people are very very different.

It reminds me of that King Of The Hill episode, where he is talking to his neighbor from Laos and he keeps on asking him "So uhhhhh, are you Chinese or Japanese?"

Old 11-15-2009, 09:44 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
This thread is exactly why I've never wanted to date a non-Asian man with a "thing" for Asian women. Very gross and icky... Asiaphiles just stay very far away from me!!!

Old 11-16-2009, 10:23 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
I don't prefer either as wives, as I would prefer not to be married at all.......but Ming-Na, Cheryl Burke, Betty Nguyen, and Kristi Yamaguchi are all great examples of beautiful American women.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:51 AM

738 posts, read 2,957,460 times
Did you know that in some parts of China, like Shanghai, it's the husbands who do all the work and chores? It's tradition that the men perform all work roles, housework, cooking, cleaning for certain parts of China; In other parts, it's the women that can be submissive and traditionally do more housework.

It varies all over what people's roles are. And in modern times, especially when you're talking about people in america where they are a mixture of cultures and up-bringings, there's not a stereotype at all.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:02 AM

1,369 posts, read 3,310,714 times
As a disclaimer, my wife is from Taiwan and we met in America in school. Prior to meeting her I had several girlfriends who were all white/American. I don't consider myself to have any kind of "preference" for Asian women or women from one culture over another. Basically, I don't discriminate...well I do now but you know what I mean.

This thread is definitely filled with many stereotypes, some correct, but most are at best half-true. The subservient/passive thing is completely not true, with my wife or any other Asian woman I know. Much like American society, Asian society has progressed as well and gender roles have changed. Some Asian countries will have more of a passive dynamic, but a large majority of Asian women that come from a decent family and are well educated will not be passive, subservient types. The culture differences between Asians and Americans is very much overstated if you ask me. I know there was culture differences with every woman I've dated, no matter where she's from. It's just that if you're interracial/intercultural the differences are more obvious. This can actually be good because you make an effort to talk about them whereas many couples I know who are the same race/culture do not talk about it and just assume they are the same.

"Importing" a woman from Asia or any other country is pretty risky if you ask me, and not a good idea at all. I know a lot of international students who study in America really like the "idea" of living in this country, but many of them hate the lifestyle and wish to return home after they complete their studies. Obviously that's a biased sample too since most of those people choose, on their own, to come here and study. I imagine if you include the general population the number who would like it here and be truly happy is even smaller. It takes a certain personality type to move to a different country, on their own, and not just subsist, but thrive. That personality is very unlikely to be passive, subservient or dependent.

There are some differences, I think, apart from the obvious. There is a lot less "casual dating" in Asian cultures, so I was kind of oblivious to the fact that she was "serious" in the relationship way faster than me. I am used to American style dating here you mess around in bed for a few months and "have fun" before deciding whether or not you want to be a real couple.

I hear most American women talk endlessly about wanting a "soulmate" or some unquantifiable or unidentifiable characteristics in a partner, which I find grating and annoying. Most foreign women, IMO, are much more pragmatic about dating. I also believe that there is a more of a sense of partnership in relationships and less a sense of power tripping for control. That said, I never got the impression that my wife or her peers were any less demanding and picky than their American counterparts. I have many family members and friends who have wives that don't work, and still have maid/nanny service, which I find completely unacceptable behavior. Obviously, not all American women are like this, and consequently, not all Asian women are family/partnership oriented, but I think you will see a lot of Asian women skew more in the direction of partnership/family oriented behavior. I think this is actually quite similar to many American women who work in fields like teaching, nursing, or "caring" type fields. I realize there is some stereotyping here but I'm trying to keep it pretty realistic and not too biased. In my experience American women who work in those types of fields are some of the most desirable, because they are "nicer" and produce decent incomes.

Also, be very careful about expressing some kind of preference for foreign women, as it is generally not something most American women want to hear.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:08 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,380,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
That's a sensible choice, 2mares, but I'm disturbed that not enough men are buying American these days. Sure, asian wives last longer and more dependable, but nothing beats a classic American wife when it comes to handling.
I agree. I would much rather drive a muscle car than a subcompact.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:27 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,696,064 times
Default Asian women all the way!!

If I had a choice, I'd prefer to have an Asian woman(from Japan, South Korea, China) as a wife compared to a white American woman. I am really passionate about a topic like this. Asians have better bodies, they make better wives because they put a lot of importance on something called family values, which is what is lacking among Americans. This is the truth. If you don't believe me, read the statistics published all over the internet or go out in public more often and really observe what's going on. And Asians age much better. And people from countries like Japan, South Korea or China do not believe in violence and aggression for the most part. Americans are too aggressive and confrontational, they drink too much(not all of them but many do), are really overweight and they have NO idea how to raise families anymore. I did not mean to offend anyone with these comments. But if you observe how many things in the US have gotten worse in the last 25 years you'll know what I'm talking about.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:27 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
For example look at Ann Curry. She is 126 & from Medford Oregon...

j/k...

Old 11-21-2009, 12:45 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthinker View Post
I am trying to help my best friend to decide on this issue. Thank you.
Naw,

I prefer my women from Cameroon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships