Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Children?
NO kids 223 72.88%
Don't mind 83 27.12%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2009, 06:47 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,899,616 times

Advertisements

I am separated and have two little ones. Obviously from reading here, some people REALLY don't want to date any one that already has children. So I want to know how many people actually feel that way.

Also, what if I don't want any more children, would that deter some people to the point of not wanting to date?

I've known a few people actually that have their own kids, but outright REFUSE to date any one with kids of their own.
What is that about anyway?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 06:53 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,291,928 times
Not speaking for myself as I'm not in the market (as you know.. ).

I think a MAJOR part of the aprehension with dating someone with kids may not be, so much, the kids themselves, but the fact that someone already having kids, almost without exception, HAS to be in touch a LOT with the ex....

Some people can't handle the constant reminder that yes, you've been with someone else, etc...

I mean we ALL have ex's, but we don't want to see them, or have a daily reminder of them and have to talk to them on the phone, etc...

THAT is probably the hang-up for many IMO...

Old 08-27-2009, 06:54 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,640,374 times
Well,this is my story. When I was single I would never date a guy with kids. IN spite of myself having TWO kids, I didn't want to be competition for the kids,didn't want any ex-wife / baby mama drama, etc.
Yes, having kids myself, I didn't date men with kids. They knew up front I had kids but I kept my kids / being a mom life completely separate from my dating life. Those men I dated never met my kids and because I was just out mostly socializing and having fun, I knew that nothing would ever turn serious and therefore, that's how I justified it to men who wanted to date me who had kids. I told them flat out my true and honest feelings and yea, now and then I'd get some hate mail but you know, I was always honest.
I don't feel bad about how I handled being single but in hindsight,I probably would have met a really nice guy who was maybe a single dad or maybe didn't have any drama - Now, if I were to be single again - I'd open up a little and see what's available to me. I am now in a relationship with a man who never had or wanted kids but accepted me because my kids were older but I'm not gonna lie, it's been tough and he has NO clue or understanding about how a family unit works, what it's like when your kids need help, etc... He's so clueless but has other great attributes so it's a give and take. I'm not perfect either.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:00 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times
I'd be worried if I was dating (I'm married) because I don't think the majority of men WANT anyone else's kid.

I would not choose a man over my son. Everyone says, "Why is so and so afraid of dating or why doesn't she find a new man" about people after a divorce or death of a spouse but who wants some guy who will abuse your child?

How many times have we seen it in the media?? Boyfriend kills child of girlfriend...boyfriend abuses girlfriend's baby...

I'm not saying there aren't good step parents out there but if a man or woman says NO KIDS you have to respect them and MOVE ON!! I agree with the person above me...who wants Baby Mama/Daddy drama? I see too much of it with my brother and his ex vs. him and his new wife...the 'kids' are in their early 20s but it's just DRAMA all around...

Old 08-27-2009, 07:03 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,291,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I'd be worried if I was dating (I'm married) because I don't think the majority of men WANT anyone else's kid.

I would not choose a man over my son. Everyone says, "Why is so and so afraid of dating or why doesn't she find a new man" about people after a divorce or death of a spouse but who wants some guy who will abuse your child?

How many times have we seen it in the media?? Boyfriend kills child of girlfriend...boyfriend abuses girlfriend's baby...

I'm not saying there aren't good step parents out there but if a man or woman says NO KIDS you have to respect them and MOVE ON!! I agree with the person above me...who wants Baby Mama/Daddy drama? I see too much of it with my brother and his ex vs. him and his new wife...the 'kids' are in their early 20s but it's just DRAMA all around...
So basically what you've done here is explained to everyone why so many women LOVED the movie "Jerry Maguire"....

Old 08-27-2009, 07:08 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
So basically what you've done here is explained to everyone why so many women LOVED the movie "Jerry Maguire"....
Sorry? Never saw that film...!

Old 08-27-2009, 07:16 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,783,221 times
I don't have children and a deal breaker for me is if someone has children.
It's an immediate turn off. You can be the most gorgeous woman ever but if she has kids....nope nope nope.
I wouldn't want to fall for someone who has kids because I don't want kids.

I had a dream last night I was pregnant. I wanted to just cry when I woke up and I was glad it wasn't true.

I can see Rhett_Butler's point.

I think a lot of times those with kids don't mind dating someone who had kids because they can relate and they don't feel like they'll be rejected just for having kids.
My step-mom didn't mind that my dad had a child (me) and my step-dad already had a daughter and so did my mom.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:32 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,640,374 times
In addition to my previous comment - it's got to be a level playing field which is what I used to advise my single gal pals about. If you are single, and you start dating a guy who's got kids, first of all, rest assured he's paying child support, he's got an ex no matter if it's a wife or what, and he's got kids. So, his time and money are spent elsewhere and then you stand there wondering why you get nothing out of the relationship.
Date within your league. if you are single and no kids, seek the samel. Likewise, if you are previously married and have kids, it might behoove you to seek the same.
Going against my own advice ?? Yes, but remember, I never let my dating life interfere with me being a Mom and I NEVER had any ex hubby drama and he lived far enough away. We had our arrangement, he paid his support. For me, it was a non issue.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:46 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,761,776 times
Are kids a deal breaker? Not at all for me.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:48 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,356,843 times
If I was single I would not date a person with kids. I might consider it if they were grown, out of college, working with a family of their own, and not dependent at all on their parent, but other than that, no chance.

There is no equal footing from the get go. You go into the relationship knowing full well that you come last. If you buy $300 theater tickets and the kid gets the sniffles, you can't go. If the kid has hockey practice every Saturday and a game on Sunday, that's your weekend until the season is over and baseball or whatever starts up. If the kid(s) participate in their local youth group and go to the rec center every Friday and Saturday night then your schedule is dictated by what time you have to drop them off and pick them up. If I wanted those conditions, I would have had my own kids.

Don't get me wrong, I think that a parent should put their kid first and do all of the above things, but that is just not for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships