Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2009, 09:07 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,674,099 times

Advertisements

People continue to rent for all sorts of reasons. Maybe they anticipate having to move again. Maybe they're saving up for a down payment on a house. Maybe they really like the area they live in, but can't afford to buy a house there so they've settled for renting. Maybe they just don't want to deal with all the hassles that come with owning your own home. Personally, I would never rent the same place for 20 years. But I don't judge people who do because I assume they have good reasons.

What's funny about this thread is how some posters have immediately launched into generalizations about women being gold diggers all because they inquire about whether you own your home. Why are people so quick to infer a hidden meaning to every question. If someone asks me why I don't own a home yet, I don't infer that they're judging me or only looking for a guy with money. I take the question at face value. If you're someone who's always trying to dig deeper and attach some hidden meaning to every question, maybe you ought to ask yourself why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 09:09 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,956,580 times
I think this thread has broke all records for the number of posts in such a short time on city-data.

My chime-in: It varies as to where you live as to how people feel about home ownership. I'm in Atlanta where it's common for the majority of intown residents to live in apartments, but many suburban residents live in homes.

A girl meeting a guy who is 35 or even 40 intown won't usually bat an eye if the guy lives in an apartment. Thirty miles outside of the city however, and the man might be seen as "unwilling to commit" to home ownership. Note the word "commit". Just my opinion, but I think women really do size-up a man's potential for sticking around and commitment when they meet them, pretty quickly. If a man owns a home, then he's willing to sign his name to a mortgage, hence, might be more willing to commit into a relationship, too. A man on an apartment lease is used to moving around and around, hence, might be prone to "moving around" in relationships, too.

Again, though - depends on the area. Unlike in the burbs, In an area like inner-Atlanta where apartment living is so much more common than some other areas, a woman might look more closely at smaller things like how nice the apartment is... if the guy has taken the time to hang photos on the walls or leaves things bare...etc., to determine potential commitability. I worked with a woman once who claimed that if a man doesn't hang photos on his wall, he won't commit to a woman, as he can't even commit to a nail and picture.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:22 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,674,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
A girl meeting a guy who is 35 or even 40 intown won't usually bat an eye if the guy lives in an apartment. Thirty miles outside of the city however, and the man might be seen as "unwilling to commit" to home ownership. Note the word "commit". Just my opinion, but I think women really do size-up a man's potential for sticking around and commitment when they meet them, pretty quickly. If a man owns a home, then he's willing to sign his name to a mortgage, hence, might be more willing to commit into a relationship, too. A man on an apartment lease is used to moving around and around, hence, might be prone to "moving around" in relationships, too.

Again, though - depends on the area. Unlike in the burbs, In an area like inner-Atlanta where apartment living is so much more common than some other areas, a woman might look more closely at smaller things like how nice the apartment is... if the guy has taken the time to hang photos on the walls or leaves things bare...etc., to determine potential commitability. I worked with a woman once who claimed that if a man doesn't hang photos on his wall, he won't commit to a woman, as he can't even commit to a nail and picture.
I think it's pretty silly to read so much into whether someone owns vs. rents or whether they hang stuff on walls. IMO, people do too much assuming instead of just asking. That's why I think it's good if a woman asked a man why he still rents. That's better than her not asking and just assuming the guy must not be willing to commit. I don't hang stuff on my walls. I change cars every few years cause I lease instead of buy. I'm sure there are women who will views those as signs of someone who's not willing to commit. But what if they're wrong? These silly mind games people play in the dating world do more harm than good. You meet someone, observe a few things, and think you've got them figured out. But you really don't.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:24 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,550,045 times
It might be better if you don't have a house, because you kind of want to buy your house with your significant other. Otherwise it's this whole "Well, it's our house, but it's really your house" nonsense.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:29 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,878,552 times
Strangely enough, my wife expects to live in a house too. So we do, and have for 8 of our 11 years together (and I'm only in my early 30's). It must be writen somewhere in their genes...

Old 09-25-2009, 10:34 AM

4,538 posts, read 8,364,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It might be better if you don't have a house, because you kind of want to buy your house with your significant other. Otherwise it's this whole "Well, it's our house, but it's really your house" nonsense.
I'm in that situation right now. Even though she has told me numerous times that it is our place, she bought the co-op before we met. So it is really hers and it doesn't feel like ours, it feels like hers.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:44 AM

27,955 posts, read 39,900,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The thought for next time around, I find a women I don't like and buy her a house.

Both have advantages.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:46 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,161,306 times
People get way too hung up on a house. It's just a place to sleep and store your stuff. It's like the people who take a cruise and worry about their cabin. For cryin' out loud - you're gonna be in it for all of 8 hours a day, max! It's not even a place to sleep - can do that on deck around the pool! It's a place to store/change your clothes and for all the quickies cuz there's too much else to do elsewhere - so get the inside economy cabin and save your money for the excursions and the fun stuff!

You can't take the house with you, your kids don't want it (or shouldn't) cuz by the time you're ready to let them have it, they usually have their own stuff and their own walls to house it and you are prolly gonna be living in a different house than you started with. If it's not a job move, it's upsizing or downsizing your house.

So who cares really if she bought it - home is where she is; that's just a house.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:11 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,757,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
That's fine. As many people have said, it's not really about the house. It's about stability and planning for a secure future.
Not being in debt means that I AM financially secure.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:14 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,441,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Not being in debt means that I AM financially secure.
You ARE in debt, remember? You rent. You have a financial obligation to pay a landlord.

Financial obligation = DEBT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships