Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 10:28 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
ok, call me an idiot but, what is the "water trade"?
Sex workers (prostitutes, masseuses, strippers) or quasi-sex workers (hostesses, geishas, etc.).

Old 10-07-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Also, there's a district in Japan with lots of clubs. I forget the name but wil ask my SO next time he calls.If you are there with a male, hold on to him tight. The sailors have told me so many stories about that place....
There are girls there that will gang up on him and try to pull him in an alley for a "massage", as they call it, especially if you happen to be with an American.

Also, on escalators, veer toward the left as a general rule. Japanese dont take up the entire escalator like we do. The right side is for those who are in a hurry and need to get to the top faster. If you venture into some of the more rural parts of Japan, it is beneficial to know at least enough Japanese to mind your manners..ie please, thank you (there are lots of ways to say thank you), and excuse me. The locals will not expect you to speak alot of it...but knowing a little bit and trying seemed to help alot when the BF and I were exploring.
Crepe's from street vendors are AWESOME, and most local restaurants I saw display what they serve in display windows. You can literally go window-shopping for a meal...which can be either really cool or a little aggravating, depending on how hungry you are and how fast you want to eat.
Disney is HUGE there...so are cell phone charms. I saw what had to be a middle aged man with one on his phone.
Speaking of phones, do not talk on your cell phone on the train. It is considered very,very rude. When ride the train, and the seats are all full, the best spot to get is a corner by the door. You get tossed around soo much less there, and it helps during a long train ride. When you arrive, it helps to get something called a PASMO card. It works kind of like a gift card. You load money on it, then swipe it to cross a terminal to get to your train. You can also buy things from the train station vending machines with them.

Sorry for long post..I learned quite a bit during my visit. I like Japan...except for the toilets. The areas around Tokyo seem to be rather interesting, and if you're an anime/electronics person you've GOT to visit Akibara (sp?). Im not into those things, but my SO and a bunch of friends are. Shopping in the Minato Mirai district of Yokohama is really good...I prefer the random shops in the alleys. The alleys in Japan are actually safe, and you tend to find the most interesting things if you veer off the main road and take a look into them.

Hope this helps.
Glad you learned a lot and had a good time. The club district is probably Roppongi; the electronic area is Akihabara.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:49 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,031,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Glad you learned a lot and had a good time. The club district is probably Roppongi; the electronic area is Akihabara.
Yes! Roppongi! Thats it!

Im usually a good speller...but some of the districts I cant even pronouce correctly.lol
It was strange though. Bf and I would be tired, cop out and go for American food (Mcdonalds, Krispy Kreme were favorites)Not only would we have to point to what we wanted, but we were also the only Americans in a crowded restaurant. Made it easier to find one another though.

Ive made my SO promise to take me into Kyoto next time,and we both REALLY want to see Mt. Fuji.Probably will drag him into Osaka as well. I wasnt satisfied staying just in the cities though. I dont feel like I get a good "Feel" of what Japan is like there. I can find a concrete jungle here at home. Dont get me wrong, the cities are beautiful and very very clean considering the population.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:54 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
I would be kind of weird to be a white person in a place like Japan. I've never experienced the feeling of being a minority. I've often thought it would be cool to go to Africa and be the only white person around.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I would be kind of weird to be a white person in a place like Japan. I've never experienced the feeling of being a minority. I've often thought it would be cool to go to Africa and be the only white person around.
Try being a brotha man in Japan, LOL.

Or being a white guy in Hawaii.

Before I went there, this white guy at my job said I wouldn't like Japan 'cause it was racist and I would be a minority.

I just kinda looked at him without saying anything........and then told him he should try it sometime.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:47 PM

2 posts, read 12,188 times
Thanks so much to everybody for your answers they were a ton of help, especially colddiamond

Old 10-09-2009, 10:48 PM

341 posts, read 902,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeyLea View Post
I don't want to sound really vain asking this, I'm just curious and honestly a little insecure lol, but please don't be offended I'm moving to Tokyo in a few months and my friends tell me since I have porcelain skin like a doll, blue eyes and blonde hair the guys there will see me as 'exotic' and they say they'll be all over me, but I've always thought asian guys were really only interested in other asians, maybe that's because where I live in the deep, deep south I hardly ever see any asians, much less asian guys and white girls together.
So basically my question is would the asian guys there be interested in me at all, or do I not stand a chance against the asian girls?

To be honest with you Abbey, Asian guys prefer girls on the thin to skinny side. If you are that, then there shouldn't be a problem. If you're a little chunkier, then don't get your hopes up. Because most likely, they won't be interested.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:15 PM

985 posts, read 2,601,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRISTINsf View Post
To be honest with you Abbey, Asian guys prefer girls on the thin to skinny side. If you are that, then there shouldn't be a problem. If you're a little chunkier, then don't get your hopes up. Because most likely, they won't be interested.
Yeah, when Asian men say they like white girls what they really mean is that they like white girls who look like Malibu Barbie.... not that I blame them. Barbie is hot.

Last edited by Kaye02; 10-09-2009 at 11:23 PM..

Old 10-10-2009, 12:00 AM

Doesnt stop some of them from looking though. Nor does it stop us American girls from looking either. Ive deducted that Japanese men in general arent to my taste....too scrawny, no offense meant. There were a few bits of eye candy,but the rest to me I could take it or leave it.

Honestly, I was sitting on the train, looking at this one guy's hair (it obviously had ALOT of time spent on it) and I couldnt help but wonder if he and his wife fought/would fight over the bathroom and over hair products.

What can I say? I was bored, mind was wandering, and I couldnt bug my SO since alot of PDA is considered rude.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
It was odd if you took the time to notice it...I even overheard someone in the zoo say something along the lines of "Did you see the Americans?"

Talk about feeling awkward...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.