Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 01:28 PM

84 posts, read 268,370 times

Advertisements

When my male friends or relatives talk about an interest in a specific woman I hear the term, "she is out of your league" mentioned often. I wonder what exactly that means in dating.

I can understand that term in High School. The school nerd is not generally going to get a date with the Cheerleaders or the Home Coming Queen. There is a dating peaking order in High School and in some colleges. What what determines a "person's league" in the adult world exactly? Is is money, career success, the hipness factor, money, social status, sex appeal or just plain looks?

Could a millionaire nerdy looking guy get a date with a foxy sexy girl because he is rich when he would be out of his league if he were a $20K a year grocery stock person? Does money transcend league?

Tell us more about about dating in and out of your league. Is your significant other in your league?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 01:30 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,338,885 times
What determines if someone is "out of your league"?

Their ego.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:31 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,013,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainy Intellectual Type View Post
Could a millionaire nerdy looking guy get a date with a foxy sexy girl because he is rich when he would be out of his league if he were a $20K a year grocery stock person?
Seriously.. do we need to ask this question? Put the shoe on the other foot... could a millionaire nerdy looking woman get a date with a sexy man because she is rich?

Old 10-21-2009, 01:36 PM

911 posts, read 2,375,754 times
out of your league is when your a 5 and trying to date a 10
all your gonna get is embarresed

Old 10-21-2009, 01:42 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Again?

Try this

Men: 60% looks, 40% culture, education and personality especially early on. Personality usually increases over time.

Woman: 70% career, personality and culture and 30% looks. Note, career and education are not the same thing. Again personality increases over time in importance.

I just made it up but its good enough. Men and women like looks and success in life but in different proportions and forms.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:43 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,163,797 times
Everyone is out of everyone's league according to themselves...

Old 10-21-2009, 01:45 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
Just look at professional athletes and musicians. Some of them are ugly as sin, but they've got the hottest women on their arms. They also have some of the most evil gold diggers around, so you get what you pay for. I'm sure Bill Gates can have the hottest women that money can buy, even if they aren't prostitutes, but beneath their outer beauty what is he getting?

Old 10-21-2009, 01:50 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,342,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
Everyone is out of everyone's league according to themselves...
Exactly. I'm out of everyone's league.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:53 PM

78,431 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainy Intellectual Type View Post
When my male friends or relatives talk about an interest in a specific woman I hear the term, "she is out of your league" mentioned often. I wonder what exactly that means in dating.

I can understand that term in High School. The school nerd is not generally going to get a date with the Cheerleaders or the Home Coming Queen. There is a dating peaking order in High School and in some colleges. What what determines a "person's league" in the adult world exactly? Is is money, career success, the hipness factor, money, social status, sex appeal or just plain looks?

Could a millionaire nerdy looking guy get a date with a foxy sexy girl because he is rich when he would be out of his league if he were a $20K a year grocery stock person? Does money transcend league?

Tell us more about about dating in and out of your league. Is your significant other in your league?
Out your league is just another way of saying that the person could do much better.

The problem with this is that different people value things in a person differently. I know one girl that values humor\personality higher than looks and also is very non-materialistic....so she has dated some guys that people might wonder what the heck she saw in them if they were just sitting together somewhere.

I personally value personality, how good of a person they are and looks more than economic status, education etc. So basically I don't care how hot a woman is if she is mean, uninteresting or a generally bad person.

Then the whole "looks" thing is very flexible as one person might like tall skinny blondes while the next likes saucy curvey brunettes.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:55 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,102,524 times
Most people associate it with looks..

Its almost as if some people think other people should be with someobdy in the exact looks range even if that person isnt a great person over a really good person u have chemsitry with who according to the person isnt nearly as good looking as their partner..

Its almost as if we assume the better looking person is a better human being and deserves better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships