Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 11:27 AM

7 posts, read 74,641 times

Advertisements

Has anyone, particularly a guy, dated a woman, only to find out later that she was sexually abused by her father in her early to late teens? If so, did you find out during the relationship or after and how did you or her or both of you together handle it? What are some of the signs that a women might exhibit that may serve to confirm that this type of event occurred in her life and how do you address it with her if they refuse to acknowledge the event ever occurred?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 11:38 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,551,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutterbutter View Post
Has anyone, particularly a guy, dated a woman, only to find out later that she was sexually abused by her father in her early to late teens? If so, did you find out during the relationship or after and how did you or her or both of you together handle it? What are some of the signs that a women might exhibit that may serve to confirm that this type of event occurred in her life and how do you address it with her if they refuse to acknowledge the event ever occurred?
A fear of men in general, depression, guilt, anxiety, lack of desire for sex, promiscuity. Drug and alcohol addiction is also pretty common.

Do you mean denying that it occured, as if it never happened or not revealing it? It is a very personal issue. They may not want to talk about it so freely.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:49 AM

7 posts, read 74,641 times
It's like she told me everything that happened in so many small indirect ways, like she wanted me to know. And then when I finally put all the pieces together and approached the subject subtley, I was totally shut down. I remember the first time we were together, she asked me to tell her I loved her even if I didn't mean it. I thought that was weird. Almost like she could justify what she was allowing me to do for her, as long as she thought "I loved her". She has no relationship with her father except at family events. He is always saying these mean little things to her just to set her off. She runs off crying. And when I tell her to tell him to screw off, she acts like she is scared to say anything to him. It's almost like he is terrorizing her. Like he's trying to keep her scared of him. She's very conscious about her weight and how her body appears. And then she has this insane fear of basements. And she is always talking about things like "damaged goods" and "two time loser", when she refers to herself. I don't get it.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:12 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times
It is pretty common.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:13 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,959,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutterbutter View Post
It's like she told me everything that happened in so many small indirect ways, like she wanted me to know. And then when I finally put all the pieces together and approached the subject subtley, I was totally shut down. I remember the first time we were together, she asked me to tell her I loved her even if I didn't mean it. I thought that was weird. Almost like she could justify what she was allowing me to do for her, as long as she thought "I loved her". She has no relationship with her father except at family events. He is always saying these mean little things to her just to set her off. She runs off crying. And when I tell her to tell him to screw off, she acts like she is scared to say anything to him. It's almost like he is terrorizing her. Like he's trying to keep her scared of him. She's very conscious about her weight and how her body appears. And then she has this insane fear of basements. And she is always talking about things like "damaged goods" and "two time loser", when she refers to herself. I don't get it.
Here is my advise to you...

Get her help and break up with her.

She will be a complete headache until she is fixed with professional help.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:15 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,242,232 times
My wife was molested by her father from age 2-12, and my late wife was molested by her mother's bf when she was around 6-8, so it doesn't fit your age bracket, but I doubt that matters too much.

My wife told me about it pretty early in our relationship -- while we were "just friends". My late wife told me much later, after we were living together. She decided to see a psychiatrist about her phobias, the issue of the molestation came up, and she confided it to me a day or two later. She'd never told anyone before that. (She was in her late 40s at the time.)

The "signs" are the same ones shown for other problems. You'll never know by behavior. If they refuse to acknowledge it happened, you don't talk about it. (How would you even know if they don't tell you?)

My late wife was writing a book about survivors of childhood sexual abuse, with a little help and urging from me. In fact, her psychiatrist was her co-author, and I was her sounding board. (She died before it was completed.)

My current wife and I hosted an on-line "shelter" for victims of sexual abuse for several years.

There's not much you can do to "handle it." You offer to listen and give support. You read books about the subject and learn how victims still suffer from abuse decades later, and you are as understanding as possible. You can't cure it; you can't make it go away, and if you pressure the victim to talk about it, you're not doing him/her any favors. Just be there if and when they want to talk about it. Listen, hold a hand, give a hug, offer your support. That's all you can do.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:36 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Here is my advise to you...

Get her help and break up with her.

She will be a complete headache until she is fixed with professional help.
Sadly, I agree.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:38 PM

I also agree, however, there is no rule that says a women needs to be with a man. She can stay single forever and surround herself with women friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Sadly, I agree.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:45 PM

28,901 posts, read 30,284,252 times
it wasn't the sexual abuse as a child that ruined me. While it was tramatic, through counseling I learned how to deal with it. It was the men after that that I chose for lifetime companions who broke me...each time it was worse...the heartbreak.

when I put my last dog down, I said, I'd never Ever get another dog and go thru that again. After 13 years, I've finally adopted a rescue.

But the heartbreak impossed on me by men was to much to bear. I will never ever marry or even date again and haven't for many many years.

The sexual abuse was not a nice thing, but I made it through that...it's the people I trusted with my heart afterwards...

I suggest you get her to go to counseling, and then, be honest, both with yourself and her and do not prolong a relationship if you don't think you can handle it. Be her friend, if you can tolerate it. And above all, don't ever play with the hearts of others as if it were a game....b/c you can destroy a person for life, by being thoughtless and selfish.

Creme

Old 04-14-2009, 12:56 PM

That is good you had a helpful counselor.

I think it is very difficult or impossible to get over such matters.

I've been treated very poorly by young adult women my whole life, that I suspect had some abuse issues with men, and I find it very hard to understand them, apparently they pick on you and harass the crud out of you when they "like" you. Ugh right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
it wasn't the sexual abuse as a child that ruined me. While it was tramatic, through counseling I learned how to deal with it. It was the men after that that I chose for lifetime companions who broke me...each time it was worse...the heartbreak.

when I put my last dog down, I said, I'd never Ever get another dog and go thru that again. After 13 years, I've finally adopted a rescue.

But the heartbreak impossed on me by men was to much to bear. I will never ever marry or even date again and haven't for many many years.

The sexual abuse was not a nice thing, but I made it through that...it's the people I trusted with my heart afterwards...

I suggest you get her to go to counseling, and then, be honest, both with yourself and her and do not prolong a relationship if you don't think you can handle it. Be her friend, if you can tolerate it. And above all, don't ever play with the hearts of others as if it were a game....b/c you can destroy a person for life, by being thoughtless and selfish.

Creme
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships