Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 05:44 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,298,045 times

Advertisements

I recently started dating again, and one thing I've noticed is that a lot of what happens in dating, is a bunch of mind games. I don't know what it is - maybe its because I was in a relationship for a long time, or because I dated a lot when I was younger, but I don't have the patience for games. I feel like if a person can't be upfront and honest, then they are wasting my time. And personally, I don't want to waste anyone else's time either. If I don't like someone and I don't think we have very much in common - I tell them. I say, "I don't think this will work. We don't have very much in common." Why is that so hard?

Does everyone who dates play games?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 06:27 PM

37,604 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutEve View Post
I recently started dating again, and one thing I've noticed is that a lot of what happens in dating, is a bunch of mind games. I don't know what it is - maybe its because I was in a relationship for a long time, or because I dated a lot when I was younger, but I don't have the patience for games. I feel like if a person can't be upfront and honest, then they are wasting my time. And personally, I don't want to waste anyone else's time either. If I don't like someone and I don't think we have very much in common - I tell them. I say, "I don't think this will work. We don't have very much in common." Why is that so hard?

Does everyone who dates play games?
Of course not. You just need to be more patient. Lots of people out there that don't do games.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:09 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,854,176 times
Quote:
I feel like if a person can't be upfront and honest, then they are wasting my time.
For someone who supposedly has lots of experience, what makes you think that you can actually tell when people are being "up front and honest"?

It seems to me, that in any relationship, you cannot take this as a given. Many women seem to believe that it is very important to try to expose dishonesty and look for any little sign. Unfortunately, this often means they
wash out the honest, but unpolished guys, who stumble a bit. Meanwhile, they uncritically swallowing hook, line and sinker, what the players say. What they must realize is there is absolutely no advantage for the latter group to "be upfront and honest" and make your life uncomplicated.

I suppose that your biggest hope is that you have been out of circulation for so long that you will no longer attract the players. Many older women bemoan the lack of male interest but if they were realistic, they'd realize that this is what they would otherwise attract.

Quote:
If I don't like someone and I don't think we have very much in common - I tell them. I say, "I don't think this will work. We don't have very much in common." Why is that so hard?
I'd hate to believe that people would not do this? I mean, if this is the actual situation, what's in it for them to continue? Are they masochistic ?

If anything, however, many do it too soon, before they even give themselves a chance to properly know the other person. That's the superficial nature of society today. This may be what you are encountering - a guy who is trying to tell you "you've got it wrong".

Sounds like you'll likely either need a lot of luck or a change of attitude.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:31 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,101 times
If you want to be a contestant you have to play the game.

If you "dated a lot when [you were] younger," how are you just now noticing that dating includes mind games???

Old 11-08-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Sounds like you'll likely either need a lot of luck or a change of attitude.
I tried my best to read your advice with an open mind. I know that to be completely 100% honest is impossible. Most people don't even know what they are feeling half the time, let alone trying to be open and honest with someone else about it. But not being polished, is different from misleading or deceiving.

I'll give you an example. Recently I went to a friend for advice. I was frustrated because I felt this guy I was seeing was playing games with me and not being upfront with his intentions. Part of my frustration was that I had tried my best to be upfront with him. My friend responded that my mistake was that I told him how I felt. I should never have told him how I felt. I should have concealed it, and strung him along. This same friend is dating a guy, and often lies and tells him about all these guys she meets when we go out to make him jealous.

So what happens if I meet a great guy that I really like? Do I string him along and wait till the absolute last moment to tell him how I feel? Do I date other men to make him jealous and then brag to him about it? What sense does that make?

And I may have been out of circulation, but I get plenty of guy attention. Guy attention is not the problem. Finding someone who doesn't play bs games is the problem! If I wanted to play games, I could. But I just don't see the point.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
If you want to be a contestant you have to play the game.

If you "dated a lot when [you were] younger," how are you just now noticing that dating includes mind games???
Selective memory?

Old 11-08-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
So what happens if I meet a great guy that I really like? Do I string him along and wait till the absolute last moment to tell him how I feel? Do I date other men to make him jealous and then brag to him about it? What sense does that make?
You can't be serious. This sounds like a question from a 16 year old. How old ARE you?

Old 11-08-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You can't be serious. This sounds like a question from a 16 year old. How old ARE you?

Its a simple question, either have some constructive advice or save the bitterness for your husband when he gets home. Don't harp on me "Mom", thanks.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Its a simple question, either have some constructive advice or save the bitterness for your husband when he gets home. Don't harp on me "Mom", thanks.
No idea where the bitterness comment is from. YOU are the one that posted the question. You asked a teenage question. Are you a teenager? The advise I would give could be completely different based your age.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:59 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
meeting someone and trying to build a life with them is not a game.
but dating for dating sake, highly recommended by many professionals as a personal development tool, i have never personally liked and in fact am not good at it.
too many people become experts at dating but not experts at committment and long term stability.
i have a young 2nd cousin who has mastered the art of charm and attraction and has pages of dating history, having the same shallow empty fling with each of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships