Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 07:29 PM

563 posts, read 1,711,425 times

Advertisements

So they say you should look for a mate who is 80% of what you want (including all core values being in alignment of course) and the other 20% you just have to compromise and negotiate on.

I was wondering...for those who are married...is your husband/wife at 80%? Or would you say more like 60%? Or 100%? What percentage would you rate him/her, and how would you rate your happiness in your marriage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 07:57 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,009,126 times
90% of what I want, I have. On a scale of 1 to 10, ten being highest ranking of happiness - 9.5.
I couldn't be happier.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:07 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,179,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweethearttx View Post
I was wondering...for those who are married...is your husband/wife at 80%? Or would you say more like 60%? Or 100%? What percentage would you rate him/her, and how would you rate your happiness in your marriage?
On some things we match quite well, on others not at all. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't. I would look for someone that I matched better with on a number of things, and would be less worried about some other matches.

I thought I made the right decision at the time. I was wrong. I have no bigger regret.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:59 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,306,900 times
We were never a 100% match going into our marriage. Our differences either complemented each other, were irrelevant, insignificant or intriguing at the time or were unknown (some things you'll only find out when some unplanned or external event happens).

There have been times when those differences became so pronounced that I contemplated why I ever married my dh.

But overall, I don't regret marrying him, I'm glad we were able to overcome some hurdles and strengthen our marriage and I honestly don't think that there is a better match for me than him.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:12 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
So they say you should look for a mate who is 80% of what you want (including all core values being in alignment of course) and the other 20% you just have to compromise and negotiate on.

I have never heard of this 80% thing. Who are "they" who say this anyway???

I married my husband because he is 110% of everything I want and need - we may have to compromise on issues or negoiate the day to day stuff (we aren't even in the same political party!) but that doesn't negatively impact my happiness at being married to him. I thank God every day for the privilege of being with this wonderful person

Young women, remember this...don't marry the one you can live with - marry the one you CAN'T live without - when each partner does that, nothing can break you apart.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:16 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,731,337 times
Nobody can achieve 100%.

She and I match only about 60% and that's vital.

There are parts of me where she does not see eye to eye.

1. I'm hyper-religious and am a regular church-going catholic (She's not)
2. Career-obsessed and ambitious (She just needs an average ordinary Joe, while I aspire 180 degrees opposite that)
3. It's no doubt I'm a mama's boy

But it's all about compromise and connection. I am attached to her like I am attached to nothing else.

Last edited by Currency Pair Crocodile; 04-08-2010 at 10:27 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-08-2010, 10:26 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,967,745 times
Quote:
Never heard of this. Who are this "They" that you speak of? Human interaction and especially relationships are so complex that they cannot be measured in terms of percentages. What, if you met someone who was only 79.5% does that mean they are not a good match?

Ive seen people who found great life-long mates who were probably only 25% of what they were originally looking for/wanted but because the spiritual (NOT religious) connection they had, it made all the other little things they were seeking seem obsolete.

The stuff people come up with sometimes is just so ridiculous. 80% crap is just ridiculous b.s.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:27 AM

323 posts, read 788,592 times
Did you get the 80/20 thing from the movie "Why Did I get Married?" lol.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:53 AM

563 posts, read 1,711,425 times
OMG people stop being so literal. It's an IDEA geez. "OMG he's 79.5% I can't marry him". The IDEA is that you get most of what you are looking for and don't sit here and look for 'Mr. Perfection In All Areas No Problems No Nothing'. Some people on these boards can be so immature. Thank you to those who actually answered the question.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:04 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,929,519 times
She's not perfect, but then neither am I.

Sorry, you can't measure happiness, emotions are not quantifiable commodities..

I'm happy, that's all that counts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships