Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 08:16 AM

190 posts, read 493,347 times

Advertisements

Being single is NOT easy. Please provide some encouraging words for struggling single adults. Write something positive, tell your success story and what it took to get there, or state what keeps you motivated. Feel free to address singles who may:

1. live in a small town with few prospective dates
2. feel acute (e.g., breakup, divorce) or chronic loneliness
3. have a history of attracting people with character flaws (e.g., lying, unfaithfulness, alcohol and drug abuse)
4. sexually frustrated
5. other
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 02:17 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,385,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galactic_hombre View Post
Being single is NOT easy. Please provide some encouraging words for struggling single adults. Write something positive, tell your success story and what it took to get there, or state what keeps you motivated. Feel free to address singles who may:

3. have a history of attracting people with character flaws (e.g., lying, unfaithfulness, alcohol and drug abuse)
4. sexually frustrated
5. other

Here's an encouraging word for you:

I have a male friend who is 47 years old and has never been married. A few years ago he was in a long-term relationship wtih a woman with a ton of baggage (divorced, single mom, mental health issues, etc.) and she broke up with him. He was devesatated and didn't think he'd ever find anyone to love.

This summer he reconnected with a woman from a different state he had met briefly 7 years ago. He found her profile on Facebook and just sent her a message. Within a week, they were talking/texting hours each day. Within two months she had flown out to see him and they were engaged.

Last month he flew out to meet her parents. Early next year he will relocate to the woman's hometown and they plan to get married in the spring.

The woman is everything he has ever dreamed of: pretty, nice personality, great job, wonderful family, Christian, never been married or had kids, etc. So, although he's waited longer than most, he expects to have a wonderful life with her.

Just keep the faith. Sometimes finding love is just a matter of timing.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:19 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,584,289 times
I always thought being single was fun. I don't see it as a just a waiting period between relationships. Live, enjoy the fact that your time is completely your own, do what you want to do without compromise. Live it up!

Old 12-13-2009, 02:23 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,123,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
I always thought being single was fun. I don't see it as a just a waiting period between relationships. Live, enjoy the fact that your time is completely your own, do what you want to do without compromise. Live it up!
Generally, being single is fun. You don't to deal with the baggage/foolishness of the opposite sex and you can afford to be choosy in what you want in a mate. At the same time, make sure you have what you require of another person.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:28 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,527,614 times
Being single in a small town has got to be terribly hard. I would strongly consider relocating to a city or near a city. Not that it's impossible to find someone in a small town, but you certainly don't want to look forever.
Gotta be a stronger person, however you go about it.
Get to knowthe other person better before you commit to anything!
4. sexually frustrated
Be ready to have sex with people carrying character flaws.
5. other
Good Luck!

Old 12-13-2009, 02:33 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,311,278 times
I think moving may be a good idea. Do you have any female friends you hang out with on regular basis? I cannot picture myself not having any contact at all with any females, especially for a long time, I think I would feel very lonely and depressed.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:35 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,257,416 times
If I had to give advice based on my choice in a husband I would have to say think about marrying someone who has no family

Old 12-13-2009, 02:37 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
If I had to give advice based on my choice in a husband I would have to say think about marrying someone who has no family
He-he, I've always had this preference!

Old 12-13-2009, 02:38 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,257,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
He-he, I've always had this preference!
Too bad hindsight is 20/20

Old 12-13-2009, 02:40 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,814,350 times
I'm about to be single again... can't wait till it happens. I'm so excited about it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships