Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 01:28 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times

Advertisements

I like a little cologne now and then. Doesn't have to be all the time. As long as you are clean, it's all good.

One of the best smells in the world to me is a clean man in a wool sweater. Yummy!

Years ago, in the 70's, I had a job where I interacted with college students all the time. It was back in the days when we were getting lots of foreign students from African countries and the Middle East. Back then too many of those folks didn't bathe regularly and tended to add gallons of cologne to the mix. To the average American nose, the scent was overwhelming. Especially when you had a group of them in a small room. At one point I thought I was going to throw up. I went and got my boss and asked her to just sit in the room with me for a few minutes. She did and then went out and bought me a huge fan. I survived the rest of the summer with that fan going all the time.

If you are one of the people who still think BO is sexy, give it up and take a bath. Clean clothes too. And cologne will never make up for a lack of cleanliness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 01:51 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Mens Cologne are great, love a good smelling Man, and when in a suit even better. But i use to know a guy, that drowned himself i think in the whole friggin bottle of cologne, i use to get sick just being near him, you can also ruin a good thing.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:10 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Years ago, in the 70's, I had a job where I interacted with college students all the time. It was back in the days when we were getting lots of foreign students from African countries and the Middle East. Back then too many of those folks didn't bathe regularly and tended to add gallons of cologne to the mix. To the average American nose, the scent was overwhelming.
We get that here too, but usually they don't wear cologne if they go "stinky.".

A fair number of young guys (95+% of them happen to be "ethnic") don't seem to like the concept of deoderant/antiperspirant. At my gym sometimes it is overpowering; they leave a particular area and it still smells like them a 1/2 hr later. I suppose in Africa and the Middle East fresh water might be scarce, perhaps making showering "frivolous", but here in Canada water is one of our few natural abundances.

Another peeve of mine is guys who put on scented sprays in the gym lockerooms; equally overpowering sometimes.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:22 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,285,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Polo! Mmmmm! Makes me want to shove my face in his neck and inhale him . . .
Ditto.

Ralph Lauren Polo Blue. OMG.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:48 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,969 times
Well, I was gonna go on a rant in agreement with you, declaring that cologne is largely pure advertising hype and that most women really don't care about it and that no man ever got laid just because some chick was turned on by his cologne. But then I remembered that about 10 years ago I was in a bar in Phoenix and this gorgeous babe walked by me and my freind, caught a whiff of me, wearing probably too much Lagerfeld, and grabbed me by my collar and marched me out on the deck and said how Lagerfeld has driven her bananas since she was, like 16. (I remember "bananas" was her word, not mine.) Anyway, she literally took me home that night. I had no choice in the matter. LOL.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:56 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,679,366 times
what ever happened to High Karate you could get it at Kroger's? If you wear Patchouli people think you are a pot head.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:59 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,041,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Polo! Mmmmm! Makes me want to shove my face in his neck and inhale him. But too much of any good cologne is not so good.
I will make sure I wear polo around you You can "inhale" me all you want

Old 01-05-2010, 04:02 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,285,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Well, I was gonna go on a rant in agreement with you, declaring that cologne is largely pure advertising hype and that most women really don't care about it and that no man ever got laid just because some chick was turned on by his cologne. But then I remembered that about 10 years ago I was in a bar in Phoenix and this gorgeous babe walked by me and my freind, caught a whiff of me, wearing probably too much Lagerfeld, and grabbed me by my collar and marched me out on the deck and said how Lagerfeld has driven her bananas since she was, like 16. (I remember "bananas" was her word, not mine.) Anyway, she literally took me home that night. I had no choice in the matter. LOL.
It can be a real phenomenon - some scents are just incredible on men - a number of people have mentioned Polo ( I like the Blue one) - I can detect it anywhere and it makes me a little . . .

Just before Christmas this guy came over to fix the boiler and he smelled so good (hot hot hot!!) I HAD to ask him what he was wearing (One Million by Paco Rabanne) - needless to say I bought my husband a bottle for Christmas!

Old 01-05-2010, 04:23 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,041,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I was wondering if a guy is already cleaned-up (showered, shaved etc.)
would a guy still seem noticeably more appealing adding a bit of cologne?

I've tried it some nights, and I usually get more "favourable responses" but I'm not really sure why.
One thing I don't like about wearing cologne is that it makes it harder for my nose to detect a girl's perfume.

Most of the time I see other guys wearing cologne, most of them seem to be just as "alone" in a club as the other guys not wearing any... So from an objective point of view, men's cologne seems to do nothing but show others that they believe commercials and are naively believing that it will help them with women; because a heterosexual-man is not likely to wear cologne simply because they enjoy "smelling nice." (vs. a hetero-woman that might feel pampered or like a princess from wearing a good perfume)
Speaking of cologne..... I have a story. When I was a little boy, my parents divorced, and occasionally, my dad would come around to visit me (like 3-4 times a year, I know that's sad). But anyway, I never forget this one day my dad came to visit me and I met him at the door. I was about 10-12 years old.

Well, my dad was about 6-1 and was a muscle guy, with guns (arms)! And I will never forget giving him a BIG hug at the door and getting the instant feeling that I was hugging a scruffy brick wall that smelled like Old Spice....lol

Ever since that moment, I knew that's what I wanted to be like; a physically strong man, with a beard rough like a brillo pad, who smelled like Old Spice.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:14 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
It can be a real phenomenon - some scents are just incredible on men - a number of people have mentioned Polo ( I like the Blue one) - I can detect it anywhere and it makes me a little . . .

Just before Christmas this guy came over to fix the boiler and he smelled so good (hot hot hot!!) I HAD to ask him what he was wearing (One Million by Paco Rabanne) - needless to say I bought my husband a bottle for Christmas!
I never knew men's cologne could be THAT appealling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships