Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 03:44 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Exactly. And it becomes more and more difficult, as technology makes it easier and easier to do most of our errands from the comfort of our own homes. People simply don't NEED to be "out" as much.
What makes it harder is a lack of time. When you're in school, almost everywhere you go, you're surrounded by people in your age group who are most likely unmarried. And because you're at the same school, you already at least one thing in common. But for the rest of us, it's not that convenient. You wake up, go to work, maybe go to the gym or bar afterward, and then come home. At work, you're busy doing work so might not have much time to socialize. Plus, your workplace could be full of married people and/or people you have nothing in common with. The gym or the bar might be a great pickup spot for a fling, but most people I know who go to the gym just wanna work out, not get hit on. And bars? LOL. Anyone going to a bar expecting to meet someone looking for a serious relationship is kidding themselves. Bars are for hookups. Most people I know find they have very little free time to meet people. That's why going online is becoming more accepted. It's no longer the haven of the desperate or socially inept. And the people who still think it is are out of touch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 05:48 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,341,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
What makes it harder is a lack of time. When you're in school, almost everywhere you go, you're surrounded by people in your age group who are most likely unmarried. And because you're at the same school, you already at least one thing in common. But for the rest of us, it's not that convenient. You wake up, go to work, maybe go to the gym or bar afterward, and then come home. At work, you're busy doing work so might not have much time to socialize. Plus, your workplace could be full of married people and/or people you have nothing in common with. The gym or the bar might be a great pickup spot for a fling, but most people I know who go to the gym just wanna work out, not get hit on. And bars? LOL. Anyone going to a bar expecting to meet someone looking for a serious relationship is kidding themselves. Bars are for hookups. Most people I know find they have very little free time to meet people. That's why going online is becoming more accepted. It's no longer the haven of the desperate or socially inept. And the people who still think it is are out of touch.
This is so true. Lately I've been at the office until about 8pm. On the days I do manage to leave at a reasonable hour I go running, or to the gym. Weekends are spent running errands, grocery shopping, going to the gym, running, and possibly attending a social function with my running group. I've met quite a few people through meetup.com groups (running, hiking) but that special someone hasn't shown up to an event yet.

I'm not going to head out to a bar at 9pm after a 12 hour work day, but I will come home and respond to an e-mail or wink from someone online.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:25 PM

52 posts, read 153,076 times
I would like to thank you all for your responses. I came to a conlusion that it's better to meet people in real life. I've heard that the best place to meet that special someone is at the 4 years school. My parents found each other at a 4 year school and I know a few others who did the same.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:36 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
It's awkward that people go to school to get a date

Old 01-16-2010, 03:00 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500 View Post
I would like to thank you all for your responses. I came to a conlusion that it's better to meet people in real life. I've heard that the best place to meet that special someone is at the 4 years school. My parents found each other at a 4 year school and I know a few others who did the same.
Sure it's the best, but nobody can turn clocks back. Should everybody out of school be doomed?

Old 01-16-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Sure it's the best, but nobody can turn clocks back. Should everybody out of school be doomed?

No, I guess the second best is to join some recreational activities and clubs.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
It's awkward that people go to school to get a date

Why is it awkward? Some people use school as their networking tool to a better career. Also, it's a good place to meet that someone special.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:18 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
Quote:
First of all, it doesn't have to be an either/or solution. Who says you can't continue online dating AND try to meet people the old-fashioned way? Second, based on your responses, it seems like you're unwilling to concede that your approach may be partially to blame. You send generic emails and yet expect replies. And third, as was pointed out earlier, going to school as a way of meeting someone seems like a rather dumb reason to go to school. Congratulations! You'll be spending thousands of dollars or going into major debt to meet someone. And even if you do meet someone, what are the odds that it'll last? People change once college is over. They start their careers, their priorities change, etc. People undergo a lot of change in their 20s, which is why I think trying to meet someone in college isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
First of all, it doesn't have to be an either/or solution. Who says you can't continue online dating AND try to meet people the old-fashioned way? Second, based on your responses, it seems like you're unwilling to concede that your approach may be partially to blame. You send generic emails and yet expect replies. And third, as was pointed out earlier, going to school as a way of meeting someone seems like a rather dumb reason to go to school. Congratulations! You'll be spending thousands of dollars or going into major debt to meet someone. And even if you do meet someone, what are the odds that it'll last? People change once college is over. They start their careers, their priorities change, etc. People undergo a lot of change in their 20s, which is why I think trying to meet someone in college isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Actually I haven't been sending out generic messages recently and I have the same result. I modified my profile little bet with the help of a dating pro and I still get the same result.

As far as going to school. My primary reason is to finish up my education. I am 2 years away from getting my Bachelor's degree in Finance. I am kinda late bloomer because I am 24 and still haven't got my 4 year degree, but I thought about a come back as my life passing me by.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:23 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,592,370 times
Quote:
Actually I haven't been sending out generic messages recently and I have the same result. I modified my profile little bet with the help of a dating pro and I still get the same result.
Ok...which is it? At the beginning of the thread you said that some of the messages WERE generic and some weren't.

If you feel comfortable doing so, maybe you could post something here that you typically send out (leaving out any details, of course). It's hard for any of us here to say one way or the other because it seems that there are differing opinions as to what is considered generic and what is not. Just a suggestion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships