Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 09:03 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,378,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Lots of women say that they don't care about looks. You couldn't prove it by looking at their boyfriends. Then someone like Julia Robert's puts it on the line and marries Lyle Lovett... whoa. Then she leaves him... the fundamental order of the Universe cannot be messed with without consequences.

H
For those who can't read my original post, I never said that I don't care about looks. In fact, I did say that I don't find many people attractive. Actually, I'm attracted to very few people in general, but I haven't found anyone who I can truly say is UGLY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 09:05 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,710,427 times
I just can't believe this farcical thread's grown so big

We have people trying to redefine terms in the dictionary. It would be much more helpful if the language is formally learnt.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
So your marrying a good-looking guy is just a pure coincidence?! Anybody else with the same personality would've been just fine?!
First of all, I can read PMS written all over your posts today. Chill out.

Once again, if you can't read my original post, don't attempt to reply. I never said that I don't care about looks. I never said that I find ALL PEOPLE ATTRACTIVE. I am not attracted to 90% of male population actually. I just haven't found anyone who I think is "truly ugly" or "damn ugly" as some people say. There is always something cute or interesting about the way a person looks.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:08 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
There are physically ugly people in the world. As much as I hate to say it, there was one woman I know for whom 'ugly' was an understatement. She was sweet, but very ugly. Not just in one area but the whole total of her physical appearance was off-putting to the point where it was hard to look at her. She had no scars or birth defect. She was under 5 feet tall, with one of those faces that is all bones, with skin stretched over. She looked like an anorexic at the point of death but I don't think she was anorexic. Her parents were thin but normal enough looking.

Her nose in her thin long face looked more prominent than it probably was. She had the build of a 12 year old skinny child. She had bad posture. I tried to befriend her because I felt sorry for her but she also had no personality, and not even time managed to dig it out for me to get a sense of who she was. She had no interests - it's not even about shared interests - she had no interests period.

Lo and behold, a couple of years ago she got engaged around the age of 45. I saw the engagement picture in the paper and she was not only engaged, but engaged to a very nice-looking (normal) man.

My aunt called me, having seen the same picture, and asked if he was mentally challenged, although she put it in less polite terms. I confessed I did not know anything about him, my friendship having fallen apart some years before because there was nothing to this girl that I was able to discover.

At the moment, she is the only person that sticks out for me, that I've ever met in my life who was genuinely, certifiably ugly. I feel very shallow saying this. I don't normally judge people on their looks but there was just no other word to describe her overall appearance. And the worse part of it was that she couldn't help it. If I had had the faintest inkling of a personality, our relationship might have continued since I have a habit of collecting strays of all kinds. But there was just a big zero there.

But in terms of ugly-on-the-inside - upon the death of his wife, a relative by marriage remarried a woman who was prettier than Julia Roberts at the height of her looks. People often made the comparison. She was beautiful enough that I think most people were struck dumb in her presence.

Then she opened her mouth. And all the sense of prettiness and the awe generated by one's first impression, evaporated away instantly. She came across as uneducated, uncouth, ill-mannered, classless and darned proud of it. It's actually hard to look at her too because knowing her, I don't see the prettiness but only the ugliness inside.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I just can't believe this farcical thread's grown so big

We have people trying to redefine terms in the dictionary. It would be much more helpful if the language is formally learnt.
Feel free not to participate in it. You are contributing to its growth.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:09 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
But what is ugly? Define ugly.
If you can scare the paint off a locomotive just by looking at it, you're probably not very attractive. If the primer flees right behind the paint, then you know you're ugly.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:13 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
Quote:
First of all, I can read PMS written all over your posts today. Chill out.
Ha-ha, did you borrow this one from your husband? Nope, I'm not PMSing at all today unless you use the term figuratively.

Quote:
Once again, if you can't read my original post, don't attempt to reply. I never said that I don't care about looks. I never said that I find ALL PEOPLE ATTRACTIVE. I am not attracted to 90% of male population actually.
I did read this. My reading comprehension is fine, too.

Quote:
I just haven't found anyone who I think is "truly ugly" or "damn ugly" as some people say. There is always something cute or interesting about the way a person looks.
OK. I'll make an attempt at believing it.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Ha-ha, did you borrow this one from your husband? Nope, I'm not PMSing at all today unless you use the term figuratively.
Are you sure? Cause you are awfully cranky. A good lay can fix that though.
Quote:
I did read this. My reading comprehension is fine, too.
Not according to your replies.
Quote:
OK. I'll make an attempt at believing it
Please make such an attempt, I know you are capable.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:19 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,245,461 times
Stop the bickering please.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:20 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
Quote:
Are you sure? Cause you are awfully cranky.
Nah, I'm not really crankier than usual. I just don't respond well to what I perceive at least as BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships