Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 10:59 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,072,039 times

Advertisements

First, my in laws have been very supportive of me. They are catholic and when we were engaged they even went to my Buddhist Temple. I take care of their only daughter and they have told me they appreciate it. They have driven 5 hours to sit with me when I was home from an operation and my wife could not afford time away from school. The watched our dog for a couple of weeks when we moved. When my wife graduated school they gave her a $5,000 check toward the purchase of a new car.

I get along with them although I find her Dad a little to fasinated with people with money and predudiced. It's pretty polar opposite to my Buddhist thinking. So after a couple of days around him, I'm pretty ready to go.

OK so here is the question.
Every tenth birthday my wife takes her dad out to eat anyplace he wants, on her. A nice gesture and one I approve of. Ten years ago she lived in Chicago and took him to Tru. The bill was $600. Fine, I'm still OK with that.

Well, ten years later (now) she asks him where he wants to go and he says he wants to go back to Tru for his birthday.

The problem? We no longer live in Chicago.

My wife is a resident and makes about $40,000 a year and only gets two weeks vacation. I get no vacation.

So in order to take him to Tru, we both need to take time off work, fly out there, get a hotel (they cost about $200 a night in Chicago, before taxes) and then take him out to dinner.

So it will cost us air flight, taxis, hotel fees and $800 for dinner for 4 (assuming the price has not gone up). My wife will be giving up 1/4 of her vacation and I will not get paid for two days work.

All in all, it's going to cost a little less than $4,000 for this jaunt and 1/4 of my wife's vacation.

My wife points out that it's less than the graduation present. And we can afford it, if we give up our vacation this year. And her father prob. wont see another 10 years. So it's doable.

But I'm just besides myself in anger that he would ask for this. I love my wife, so I won't tell her. I can't reason with her parents, because they will tell her.

Just what the heck am I supposed to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 11:06 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,788,602 times
Ok, so she asked where he wanted to go, what was he supposed to do, pick a restaurant where you live and fly to where you are? It's not as though he called up asking if you can go out of your way to take him out to dinner in a fancy restaurant, your wife offered. Perhaps he assumed you guys had the finances to pull it off.

Question, why a hotel, can't you stay with in-laws for a few days to same some money?

I'd say you roll this dinner into a mini-vacation and make the most of it, get the most bang for you buck. Like you said, it's probably going to be the last "ten year dinner" you'll have with him and I'm sure it means a lot to your wife.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post

Question, why a hotel, can't you stay with in-laws for a few days to same some money?

None of us live in Chicago.

Yes. I kind of just assumed he would pick a place where one of us lives.
But if I read you response correctly. My wife (and her family) is important to me. Suck it up and think about how much I like my wife. As requests go, this isn't outrageous.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:33 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
First, my in laws have been very supportive of me. They are catholic and when we were engaged they even went to my Buddhist Temple. I take care of their only daughter and they have told me they appreciate it. They have driven 5 hours to sit with me when I was home from an operation and my wife could not afford time away from school. The watched our dog for a couple of weeks when we moved. When my wife graduated school they gave her a $5,000 check toward the purchase of a new car.

I get along with them although I find her Dad a little to fasinated with people with money and predudiced. It's pretty polar opposite to my Buddhist thinking. So after a couple of days around him, I'm pretty ready to go.

OK so here is the question.
Every tenth birthday my wife takes her dad out to eat anyplace he wants, on her. A nice gesture and one I approve of. Ten years ago she lived in Chicago and took him to Tru. The bill was $600. Fine, I'm still OK with that.

Well, ten years later (now) she asks him where he wants to go and he says he wants to go back to Tru for his birthday.

The problem? We no longer live in Chicago.

My wife is a resident and makes about $40,000 a year and only gets two weeks vacation. I get no vacation.

So in order to take him to Tru, we both need to take time off work, fly out there, get a hotel (they cost about $200 a night in Chicago, before taxes) and then take him out to dinner.

So it will cost us air flight, taxis, hotel fees and $800 for dinner for 4 (assuming the price has not gone up). My wife will be giving up 1/4 of her vacation and I will not get paid for two days work.

All in all, it's going to cost a little less than $4,000 for this jaunt and 1/4 of my wife's vacation.

My wife points out that it's less than the graduation present. And we can afford it, if we give up our vacation this year. And her father prob. wont see another 10 years. So it's doable.

But I'm just besides myself in anger that he would ask for this. I love my wife, so I won't tell her. I can't reason with her parents, because they will tell her.

Just what the heck am I supposed to do?
Grow a spine????

Give your wife some parameters regarding WHERE and HOW MUCH she can spend on this Dinner (the same dinner that will be in the bottom of your father-in-law's toilet the next day).

It is monumentally stupid to pay $800 for dinner. If this is what her father "requires" to prove that she loves him, then I would not even bother. What kind of screwed up relationship is that anyway?

I would suggest that she find a nice restaurant and "surprise" him on his birthday with a nice, normal, reasonably priced dinner that is filled with much love - minus the price tag. Someplace near-by.

God, hope the OP is some sort of inventive troll with a vivid imagination. I would hate to think that there is someone that actually, seriously wrote this post.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-10-2010, 11:37 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,788,602 times
Oh, I didn't realize he doesn't live in Chicago.

Regardless, let her have this "last dinner" with her dad. You can always replace the money, but you will never be able to live down the regret of depriving her of one last birthday dinner with her father.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Grow a spine????

Give your wife some parameters regarding WHERE and HOW MUCH she can spend on this Dinner (the same dinner that will be in the bottom of your father-in-law's toilet the next day).

God, hope the OP is some sort of inventive troll with a vivid imagination. I would hate to think that there is someone that actually, seriously wrote this post.

20yrsinBranson
Quote:
You can always replace the money, but you will never be able to live down the regret of depriving her of one last birthday dinner with her father.
I love my wife and would never push her to do something that she might regret later.
I'm not a troll. I may be ranting and venting.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:31 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,819,491 times
It may be the last "10 year dinner" but it doesn't have to be the last dinner. If you're going to have to give up vacation time for "one dinner", then take him somewhere more reasonable. For crying out loud, having to spend $4000 to pay for a dinner is just ridiculous, and tell your wife that.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:48 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,897,652 times
I thought my family was bad, but even with six of us, in all the expensive restaurants we've eaten at with alcohol and six people, we haven't come close to $600...yet.

Have you tried these websites to find a closer restaurant with the same type of ambiance and cuisine?

http://www.yelp.com/

Chowhound Boards - Chowhound

There must be a way to come up with a less expensive "foodie" experience without the cost and the time off work!

Old 01-10-2010, 12:51 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
I think you just needed to vent but will go along with this, it sounds like a cultural expectation to a large extent, one you pretty much understand. Since you can afford it, just let it go.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:47 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,116,372 times
I agree with malamute. Vent away.

I figure that averaged out over 10 years, it's only $400 per birthday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships