Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 09:21 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,387,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Well, you're very kind. Especially for a former New Yorker! (LOL--just kidding. Sorta.) But I dunno, my dectionary defines "ugly" as "unpleasing to the senses" and, at the risk of sounding superfluous or callous, I certainly have seen many people who I find unpleasing to my sense of asthetics. Besides, if there's no ugly than there is no "beautiful" right? And I'm surely not going to say that I've never found anyone beautiful.
Actually, that's an interesting point, because I find a lot of people to be beautiful. So if there is a beauty, then there should be something opposite of beauty.
Maybe i'm like JustJulia, a poet, always see something beautiful in people.

Another example, let's take a movie Avatar. If we saw these blue long creatures with yellow eyes and tails walking down the streets, we would find them really really ugly, but if we became part of their world and start looking like them, we would suddenly see a beauty in them.
So - who is to decide what is ugly and what is beautiful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Nah, I'm not really crankier than usual. I just don't respond well to what I perceive at least as BS.
Maybe sometimes it's better to just not respond. There is a person behind the computer screen.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:23 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,728,231 times
Quote:
Ha-ha, did you borrow this one from your husband? Nope, I'm not PMSing at all today unless you use the term figuratively.
This is key.

When the word was first invented by the makers of English, they knew nothing of futuristic figurative speech which would later on percolate down to baloney.

It just annoys me that people take such liberty with the language. Exactly why I like Latin, ugly is always ugly. There's no way the Romans kool-aid at the podium

Lingual problems. Understandable. It's just the age we live in. The internet has killed it all.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
This is key.

When the word was first invented by the makers of English, they knew nothing of futuristic figurative speech which would later on percolate down to baloney.

It just annoys me that people take such liberty with the language. Exactly why I like Latin, ugly is always ugly. There's no way the Romans kool-aid at the podium

Lingual problems. Understandable. It's just the age we live in. The internet has killed it all.
Trust me, there is a place for the word "ugly". Ugly character, ugly responses, ugly behavior.
My thread was directed towards physical attributes only.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:26 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,527,160 times
Max's, I gotta be straight with you. Because you are so damn good looking, I think it's much easier for you to be able to justify calling everyone beautiful and as mentioned above, kind of "redefining" the term.

I would also guess for someone who isn't so attractive, they would be hard pressed to agree with you because they know first-hand the downfalls and the everyday disadvantage they experience in life from not having been blessed with those genetics.

Now the non-beautiful get other compliments such as smart, funny, talented, and etc. Just my view...

Old 01-13-2010, 09:27 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Maybe sometimes it's better to just not respond. There is a person behind the computer screen.
Believe it or not, this happens, even with me. In your case, though, I didn't think the issue was hurtful or personal (as I know for a fact you're not ugly). After all, your thread was exactly about what we think about it.

13,784 posts, read 26,255,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
MM, this is an open forum and once you post a thread it is open for all to respond with their opinions

20,048 posts, read 18,313,066 times
Unhappy Don't go breakin' my heart!

Oh crap, the two posters I really like are bickering!

It's as simple as this statement:

"Beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. "

Old 01-13-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
MM, this is an open forum and once you post a thread it is open for all to respond with their opinions
You are right.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Believe it or not, this happens, even with me. In your case, though, I didn't think the issue was hurtful or personal (as I know for a fact you're not ugly). After all, your thread was exactly about what we think about it.
That's true...I guess it was in the way you came across. It felt like you were implying that I'm straight up lying and BSing, which is not the case. I had boyfriends before that none of my friends found good-looking, and I would get comments like: what are you doing with this ugly dude?
I do think that not everyone is attractive, I don't find everyone attractive and I'm not saying that. What I'm implying is that I'm having a hard time finding people who I can honestly say are really ugly to the point that I'm about to cringe while looking at them. And I'm not talking about those who have distorted features, had bad accidents where you can't even see the face in it's original state because that is just sad.

For the record, I knew that majority will not agree with me and I just wanted to hear their opinion, that's why I posted this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships