U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Unread 01-24-2010, 05:35 PM
 
Location: Hot Springs, AR
5,612 posts, read 8,802,432 times
Reputation: 3587
Default Recipe for disaster...

I overheard my boss say she had to help her son buy an engagement ring for the girl who is having his child. When I asked her "He decided to marry her?" She said "I'm very old fashioned. I believe a baby should have a mommy and a daddy." I also heard her tell her friend that she didn't want her son working in Little Rock (45 min away) because he needed to be close in case the baby needed him. I've kind of gotten the impression that she's nagged him into being engaged to this woman and will probably nag him into marriage.

I'm thinking I won't be surprised if this marriage doesn't last. Oh did I forget to mention that there's another who thinks she's pregnant with his child?

Her son is veeeerrrry good looking. In the pic in her office he looks like George Michael. I'm thinking he's not quite as ready as momma is for him to settle down. Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 01-24-2010, 06:51 PM
 
Location: in the good ol' South
865 posts, read 1,222,462 times
Reputation: 840
I can understand your boss's desire to legitimize his relationship and child, but that is up to him to decide to do, not her. Just b/c she buys a ring and pushes him into it, is not going to make him want to do it. And if he does, I agree, it won't last long, b/c he will be getting b/c of the pressure, not b/c he loves the baby's mom, and wants to have a life together with them.

He sounds like a cad, and needs to grow up. I suppose he will soon enough, when he's paying child support for 2 kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-25-2010, 08:28 AM
 
1,218 posts, read 1,348,756 times
Reputation: 1014
Too funny. How old is this guy?

I get the whole 'a baby should have a mommy and a daddy' - that's kind of how making a baby works! But mommy and daddy don't have to be married!

Just sit back and enjoy your own personal soap opera! And be glad you don't have aaaany part of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-25-2010, 09:14 AM
 
5,459 posts, read 4,015,646 times
Reputation: 8160
You should ask her where she went wrong in raising her son.

Ok, maybe not, but the deer in headlights look would be priceless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-25-2010, 09:34 AM
 
Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,318 posts, read 3,387,919 times
Reputation: 29085
Accountablility is a great thing!

God forbid that anyone would be responsible for anything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-25-2010, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Between Philadelphia and Allentown, PA
5,079 posts, read 7,864,597 times
Reputation: 3589
This is where parents need to butt out. Her son knew exactly what he was doing when he decided to sleep wtih his girlfriend. Both of them were irresponsible and the Mom should just stay out of it. Granted, now there will be her grandchild but her kid also made a very grown up decision by not using protection.
You know, you make your bed, you lay in it.

I think that the Mom is nuts to help her son by an engagement ring and I am sure it won't be the only money spent. To be fair, the kid is probably a total Mommas boy and needs confirmation on every aspect of his life from his Mother which is sad.

If one of my kids either got someone knocked up or got themselves that way. As a parent, I've already done everything I can do to warn them of the consequences, make sure they are being safe, etc... what they do when they turn into adults is on them but you can be sure, I'll be the last one helping purchase an engagement ring because I feel it's the right thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-25-2010, 04:58 PM
 
Location: 39 20' 59"N / 75 30' 53"W
12,003 posts, read 10,681,818 times
Reputation: 13345
I'm wondering how old he is? The baby will have a mommy and a daddy married or not, it's probably more about appearances and what others will think if she has a son with child and didn't marry the momma.

The marriage is gonna have three ppl, She might get a rude awakening, when his wife to be can't be dominated as easily as her son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I overheard my boss say she had to help her son buy an engagement ring for the girl who is having his child. When I asked her "He decided to marry her?" She said "I'm very old fashioned. I believe a baby should have a mommy and a daddy." I also heard her tell her friend that she didn't want her son working in Little Rock (45 min away) because he needed to be close in case the baby needed him. I've kind of gotten the impression that she's nagged him into being engaged to this woman and will probably nag him into marriage.

I'm thinking I won't be surprised if this marriage doesn't last. Oh did I forget to mention that there's another who thinks she's pregnant with his child?

Her son is veeeerrrry good looking. In the pic in her office he looks like George Michael. I'm thinking he's not quite as ready as momma is for him to settle down. Opinions?

Last edited by virgode; 01-25-2010 at 05:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-25-2010, 05:52 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
42,289 posts, read 49,160,724 times
Reputation: 33588
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I overheard my boss say she had to help her son buy an engagement ring for the girl who is having his child. When I asked her "He decided to marry her?" She said "I'm very old fashioned. I believe a baby should have a mommy and a daddy." I also heard her tell her friend that she didn't want her son working in Little Rock (45 min away) because he needed to be close in case the baby needed him. I've kind of gotten the impression that she's nagged him into being engaged to this woman and will probably nag him into marriage.

I'm thinking I won't be surprised if this marriage doesn't last. Oh did I forget to mention that there's another who thinks she's pregnant with his child?

Her son is veeeerrrry good looking. In the pic in her office he looks like George Michael. I'm thinking he's not quite as ready as momma is for him to settle down. Opinions?

For some, the stigma of divorce does not sting like the stigma of an illegitimate grandchild.

How old is this George Michael look-a-like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-25-2010, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Brentwood, TN
8,002 posts, read 12,370,543 times
Reputation: 12191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbl-r View Post
Accountablility is a great thing!

God forbid that anyone would be responsible for anything
The days of nobleness are long gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-25-2010, 05:59 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
42,289 posts, read 49,160,724 times
Reputation: 33588
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfurman View Post
I can understand your boss's desire to legitimize his relationship and child, but that is up to him to decide to do, not her. Just b/c she buys a ring and pushes him into it, is not going to make him want to do it. And if he does, I agree, it won't last long, b/c he will be getting b/c of the pressure, not b/c he loves the baby's mom, and wants to have a life together with them.

He sounds like a cad, and needs to grow up. I suppose he will soon enough, when he's paying child support for 2 kids.
I think you are probably right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:07 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top