Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 12:19 PM

694 posts, read 1,234,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
Ok, you guys are truly honoured.

This will be the first time this story has ever been shared.
Nobody knows this, not family, or friends. Nobody except me, and my true love. We may tell of it eventually, but, for the moment, it's our secret.

My girlfriend's parents have a cabin, on the island of Hvaler, in Norway.
It's a gorgeous little place. Miles from anywhere, no electricity, no running water, no neighbours, and it's own private beach.

Two years back, we were there on holiday, it was my first time in Norway, and she spent the day taking me around and showing me all the places she'd talked about with such passion.
She shared stories of childhood, and family trips there, and she had the most beautiful smile as she glowed with excitement, remembering fondly times now passed.

We returned to the cabin, and we cooked a meal together, which we ate by candlelight, to the background sound of the world's most ancient battery powered radio.

After dinner, a few drinks, and a stroll, to settle the meal.
As the sun began to set, we sat on the beach, and watched, and we talked, her still reminiscing. She looked so lovely.
We took some pictures of the sunset, it was the most gorgeous one I have ever seen.
We watched it gradually dip below the horizon, turning the sky all kinds of colours.
The setting sun sparkled off the gentle waves, like tiny diamonds.

As the moon began to rise, we took the rowboat, and rowed gently around the small cove.
Then, we stopped rowing, and let ourselves drift around, watching the stars begin to pop out, one by one.

As the boat gently washed ashore, a shooting star blazed across the sky.
I think we must have both made the same wish.

We stepped out of the boat, onto the sand, and I held her, kissed her gently, and told her how much I loved her.
Then, overcome by emotion, and passion, we made love right there on the sand, with the waves gently lapping around us.
It was awesome ! I have never felt such a connection.

After, we lay for a moment, holding each other close, while somewhere,an owl hooted in appreciation.

Then, as she started to get cold, I carried her over the rocks, and up to the cabin, where we dried, and put on some clothes to keep out the slight chill.

As we came back out of the cabin, Glenn Miller came on the old radio, with Moonlight Serenade.
I took her in my arms, and we danced together on the sand, our first dance, just me, her, Glenn, and the moon and stars.

Not only the most romantic evening, but quite possibly one of the most special moments in my life, as my feelings on that night surely confirmed this was the woman I would spend the rest of my life with.
Needless to say, as we begin to talk now of marriage, the one certainty is that Moonlight serenade will be our first dance.

If, as they say, your life flashes before your eyes before you die, then I pray it dwells on that night for a moment longer.............
This is one of the most romantic true stories that I have ever heard, bobman!

Now it's no longer just a moment of your life, it has become a dream in the collective consciousness of lovers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 12:55 PM

3,993 posts, read 8,933,974 times
Thanks. It was a very special evening.

Actually, we've got a pretty romantic story from the start, I could share more, but I'll save them for another occasion I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by learningCA View Post
This is one of the most romantic true stories that I have ever heard, bobman!

Now it's no longer just a moment of your life, it has become a dream in the collective consciousness of lovers...

Old 02-09-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Thanks. It was a very special evening.

Actually, we've got a pretty romantic story from the start, I could share more, but I'll save them for another occasion I think.
Do share with us, bobman, you are a wonderful story teller and we love romantic stories on this thread!

Old 02-09-2010, 01:32 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,062,004 times
Quote:

Nobody knows this, not family, or friends. Nobody except me, and my true love. We may tell of it eventually, but, for the moment, it's our secret.

It's a gorgeous little place. Miles from anywhere, no electricity, no running water, no neighbours, and it's own private beach.

Two years back, we were there on holiday, it was my first time in Norway, and she spent the day taking me around and showing me all the places she'd talked about with such passion.
She shared stories of childhood, and family trips there, and she had the most beautiful smile as she glowed with excitement, remembering fondly times now passed.

We returned to the cabin, and we cooked a meal together, which we ate by candlelight, to the background sound of the world's most ancient battery powered radio.

As the sun began to set, we sat on the beach, and watched, and we talked, her still reminiscing. She looked so lovely.
We took some pictures of the sunset, it was the most gorgeous one I have ever seen.
We watched it gradually dip below the horizon, turning the sky all kinds of colours.

As the moon began to rise, we took the rowboat, and rowed gently around the small cove.
Then, we stopped rowing, and let ourselves drift around, watching the stars begin to pop out, one by one.

We stepped out of the boat, onto the sand, and I held her, kissed her gently, and told her how much I loved her.
Then, overcome by emotion, and passion, we made love right there on the sand, with the waves gently lapping around us.

After, we lay for a moment, holding each other close, while somewhere,an owl hooted in appreciation.

Then, as she started to get cold, I carried her over the rocks, and up to the cabin, where we dried, and put on some clothes to keep out the slight chill.

As we came back out of the cabin, Glenn Miller came on the old radio, with Moonlight Serenade.
I took her in my arms, and we danced together on the sand, our first dance, just me, her, Glenn, and the moon and stars.

Not only the most romantic evening, but quite possibly one of the most special moments in my life, as my feelings on that night surely confirmed this was the woman I would spend the rest of my life with.
Needless to say, as we begin to talk now of marriage, the one certainty is that Moonlight serenade will be our first dance.

If, as they say, your life flashes before your eyes before you die, then I pray it dwells on that night for a moment longer.............
Yeah, you get it! Beautiful and thank you for sharing.

Always remember that special time.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:50 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,800,760 times
Quote:

What a great memory for you to live with the rest of your life!!

I am so happy for you to have had such a romantic experience

Old 02-09-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Do share with us, bobman, you are a wonderful story teller and we love romantic stories on this thread!
Ok then. but this might get long !!

As I've said, that year, oustide the cabin, was when I realised I wanted to be with her forever.
I so desperately wanted to propose to her that night, and seize the moment, but we'd only been together for a year, so I thought it was too soon, I didn't want to scare her off.

So, over the course of the next weeks and months, I began to try to formulate a plan to propose.
I looked at various ideas, including a moonlit horse and carriage ride around Edinburgh, as she's mad on horses.
I couldn't make this happen tho.

So, I decided that, in honour of the night at Hvaler, I would propose when we returned in the summer, and began to form a plan of action.

I had an elaborate plan in mind, where I was going to "get rid" of her for a while, and that would give me time to prepare.
I figured if I "forgot" something from her parents' house, that would buy me about three hours to prepare.
I'd planned to have flowers lining the small path through the woods,with a series of notes every few feet, saying little things I loved about her, I'd planned for 100!
Kinda like a mystery trail.
Then, when she came to the bottom of the clearing, just as the cabin comes into view, I'd planned to have at least 100 candles, all lit around the rocks, and more flowers, forming a path, through the rocks to the shore.

Then, as she crested the rock, she would see me, on the shore, with a table set up, with her favourite meal.
As she came to me, I'd have taken her hand, and swore to her my undying love, and asked for her hand in marriage.
I even had a little speech written, sadly, I can't remember it now !!

However, when we arrived in Norway, it had been approaching 30c for 2 weeks, and the forests were tinder dry, so I couldn't have candles, as there was a fire ban !!

So, plans crushed, I desperately tried to plan another proposal, but, to no avail, I'd had my heart set on the cabin for so long, my imagination deserted me !

We carried on with our holiday as normal. The main reason for us going was to attend a car show in Sweden, we're both car daft, and it's one of the biggest shows in the world.
Off we went to Sweden, as planned.

On the third night, we were out watching the cars cruise by, nothing special, just a few ciders.
As it grew ever darker, lightning began to dart across the sky on the horizon. It had rained on and off for the whole day, with a small storm earlier in the day.
We also both love thunder !
We sat for a while, watching the cars, and watching excitedly as the lightning grew ever closer.
Flash after flash began to light the sky, and we heard the first distant rumbles of thunder.
suddenly, the cars became unimportant, a forgotten distraction, as we focused our senses on the approching storm.
It was heading toward us. The same look as she'd had when she told her stories came on her face, hard to explain, but it's a look of pure happiness, as innocent as the smile on a child's face.

A plan began to form in my head.
Being a mile away from the campsite, I suggested we leave, and start walking back, because it looked like it was going to hammer down with rain.
We walked, arm in arm, buzzing with excitement as Lightning danced above us, and thunder boomed louder around us.
As we reached the campsite, it began to rain, just spits and spots, but big drops.
That beautiful, warm rain from summers of childhood.
The smell began to drift up from the grass around us, that sweet, fresh smell which comes when the plants have been dry, and scorched.

Just as we reached the tents, the Heavens opened, and it rained in Biblical proportions !!
However, by that time, it was becoming obvious the main body of the storm would just skirt us.
I suggested that we take our waterproofs, and our chairs, and go sit by the lake, and watch the storm disappear into the night.
At first, she looked at me like I was crazy, but there must have been a pleading look in my eyes, because she agreed.
Off we went, as everyone else around dashed for cover, in their cars, or in their tents, we strolled, hand in hand, without a care in the world, through the bucketing rain.

We sat by the shore, our feet in the lovely, warm water at the lakeside, and watched the storm vanish, taking it's lightning to brighten the lives of other lovers.

I stood up, and took her by the hand, and got her to stand up too, whereupon I dropped to one knee.
I won't say what I said to her, because that's special to us, but, after declaring undying love, and adoration, I asked her if she would do the honour of becoming my wife.

Silence for a moment, my heart sank, as I feared the worst.
She must have just been stunned, for then her eyes lit up brighter than any lightning bolt, and she got her head round the idea, and accepted.

We stood there, at the water's edge, in the pouring rain, and held each other so tight, for what felt like ages, as we told each other how happy we were, and proclaimed our love.

Secretly, I was glad it was raining, because otherwise, she would have surely seen the tear in my eye........................

Old 02-09-2010, 02:17 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,389,323 times
My first date with my husband. He did his homework.

Instead of the typical dinner or drinks, we met in a coffee shop to make basic introductions and when I felt comfortable we then walked over to his shop (his old job), where he had things set up.

During our early emails (we met online) he made note that I wanted to learn to paint so he bought two blank canvasses and two sets of paint brushes and decided to show me how to paint. And he was really talented. We talked for hours while painting together; he did one while I did the other and they were actually one large picture that connected in the middle (he sketched it). He had his iPod hooked up into the speaker system and it was playing artists I loved, including Jamiroquai and other soulful and bluesy stuff I hadn't heard (huge turn on). He read a blog I wrote where I said I dreamed of growing old with the love of my life and sharing a bottle of red wine together and he pulled out a bottle of really nice chianti, in a nice bottle holder to be shared with that special someone one day (he was hoping that it would be him).

The evening was so wonderful, that when he walked me to my car at nearly midnight (on a work night), we kissed. Amazing first date. The next morning he emailed me with a play-by-play of how the date went from his point-of-view and the subject line read "One Word..." and when I opened it, he started with "...Wow!!! and detailed his thoughts during the night and how my smile lit up the room the moment I entered and how good he felt the entire evening.

He still tells me that he knew at that moment he was in love.

*blushes*

P.S. We still have the painting (his side looks way better than mine) and the chianti we're saving for a distant anniversary.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:22 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,389,323 times
I should mention that this date was Oct. 2, 2007. Two years later to the day, I married him. How could I not?!!!

Old 02-09-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Ok then. but this might get long !!

As I've said, that year, oustide the cabin, was when I realised I wanted to be with her forever.
I so desperately wanted to propose to her that night, and seize the moment, but we'd only been together for a year, so I thought it was too soon, I didn't want to scare her off.

So, over the course of the next weeks and months, I began to try to formulate a plan to propose.
I looked at various ideas, including a moonlit horse and carriage ride around Edinburgh, as she's mad on horses.
I couldn't make this happen tho.

So, I decided that, in honour of the night at Hvaler, I would propose when we returned in the summer, and began to form a plan of action.

I had an elaborate plan in mind, where I was going to "get rid" of her for a while, and that would give me time to prepare.
I figured if I "forgot" something from her parents' house, that would buy me about three hours to prepare.
I'd planned to have flowers lining the small path through the woods,with a series of notes every few feet, saying little things I loved about her, I'd planned for 100!
Kinda like a mystery trail.
Then, when she came to the bottom of the clearing, just as the cabin comes into view, I'd planned to have at least 100 candles, all lit around the rocks, and more flowers, forming a path, through the rocks to the shore.

Then, as she crested the rock, she would see me, on the shore, with a table set up, with her favourite meal.
As she came to me, I'd have taken her hand, and swore to her my undying love, and asked for her hand in marriage.
I even had a little speech written, sadly, I can't remember it now !!

However, when we arrived in Norway, it had been approaching 30c for 2 weeks, and the forests were tinder dry, so I couldn't have candles, as there was a fire ban !!

So, plans crushed, I desperately tried to plan another proposal, but, to no avail, I'd had my heart set on the cabin for so long, my imagination deserted me !

We carried on with our holiday as normal. The main reason for us going was to attend a car show in Sweden, we're both car daft, and it's one of the biggest shows in the world.
Off we went to Sweden, as planned.

On the third night, we were out watching the cars cruise by, nothing special, just a few ciders.
As it grew ever darker, lightning began to dart across the sky on the horizon. It had rained on and off for the whole day, with a small storm earlier in the day.
We also both love thunder !
We sat for a while, watching the cars, and watching excitedly as the lightning grew ever closer.
Flash after flash began to light the sky, and we heard the first distant rumbles of thunder.
suddenly, the cars became unimportant, a forgotten distraction, as we focused our senses on the approching storm.
It was heading toward us. The same look as she'd had when she told her stories came on her face, hard to explain, but it's a look of pure happiness, as innocent as the smile on a child's face.

A plan began to form in my head.
Being a mile away from the campsite, I suggested we leave, and start walking back, because it looked like it was going to hammer down with rain.
We walked, arm in arm, buzzing with excitement as Lightning danced above us, and thunder boomed louder around us.
As we reached the campsite, it began to rain, just spits and spots, but big drops.
That beautiful, warm rain from summers of childhood.
The smell began to drift up from the grass around us, that sweet, fresh smell which comes when the plants have been dry, and scorched.

Just as we reached the tents, the Heavens opened, and it rained in Biblical proportions !!
However, by that time, it was becoming obvious the main body of the storm would just skirt us.
I suggested that we take our waterproofs, and our chairs, and go sit by the lake, and watch the storm disappear into the night.
At first, she looked at me like I was crazy, but there must have been a pleading look in my eyes, because she agreed.
Off we went, as everyone else around dashed for cover, in their cars, or in their tents, we strolled, hand in hand, without a care in the world, through the bucketing rain.

We sat by the shore, our feet in the lovely, warm water at the lakeside, and watched the storm vanish, taking it's lightning to brighten the lives of other lovers.

I stood up, and took her by the hand, and got her to stand up too, whereupon I dropped to one knee.
I won't say what I said to her, because that's special to us, but, after declaring undying love, and adoration, I asked her if she would do the honour of becoming my wife.

Silence for a moment, my heart sank, as I feared the worst.
She must have just been stunned, for then her eyes lit up brighter than any lightning bolt, and she got her head round the idea, and accepted.

We stood there, at the water's edge, in the pouring rain, and held each other so tight, for what felt like ages, as we told each other how happy we were, and proclaimed our love.

Secretly, I was glad it was raining, because otherwise, she would have surely seen the tear in my eye........................

Bobman, you've made two things clear now.
She is the one for you. You have a gift for writing.

May the wonderous feelings for this girl never leave your heart.

And may you keep writing lovely stories for others to enjoy as well.

Congratulations and best wishes for the two of you!

Last edited by learningCA; 02-09-2010 at 02:54 PM..

Old 02-09-2010, 02:51 PM

Thank you. There are more little stories, but those are the biggest.

I'll definitely save them this time tho ! I'm all romanced out !!

Quote:
Bobman, you made two things clear now.
She is the one for you. You have a gift for writing.

May the wonderous feelings for this girl never leave your heart.

And may you keep writing lovely stories for others to enjoy as well.

Congratulations and best wishes for the two of you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships