Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 09:13 AM

548 posts, read 1,251,828 times

Advertisements

I have a great sense of humorr and I love to laugh. It just so happens that some of these men are not making me laugh. Some DO NOT have great conversation topics. When I try to talk about things like music, art politics etc... they don't seem interested. Maybe they are meatheads. I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 09:17 AM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,170,141 times
i've dated girls like that. it seems they open up a bit more with each date. i dont mind. different people have different personalities. i dont mind giving time if i know they will eventually open up a lot more soon

Old 03-16-2010, 09:25 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ep- View Post
i dont mind giving time if i know they will eventually open up a lot more soon
if you don't mind me asking, how do you know this in advance?

Old 03-16-2010, 09:33 AM
Ep-

usually how talkative they are. i've noticed some people are very quiet to start out and be a bit more talkative by the end of the first date, then more so on the next date.

im the same way half the times. some people i click with instantly, others i click with after knowing them a little bit.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:39 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
i guess that is pretty simple.

i probably hold people to unrealistic standards; i always breezed through interviews and first dates, so i kind of assume that everyone shows their best side from the beginning.

this thread has prompted some second thoughts about a recent date i never called back. i see similarities here. i figured if there was no chemistry or sexual tension at first, then i shouldn't try and force something that isn't coming naturally.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:57 AM
Ep-

girl im seeing now i wasnt planning on going out with for a second date because our first date was really meh, but we had a lot in common and she seemed nice. she ended up asking me if i wanted to see her again. i agreed mostly because i didnt have much going on that weekend. second date was the complete opposite of the first and i wouldnt have found that out if i didnt see her agian

Old 03-16-2010, 09:59 AM

You will never find a true love if you are judging people like that right off the bat.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:37 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,684,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
This is what i've been told by men on several occassions. It just takes more that 3 dates for me to warm up to a person. I have a quiet personality anyway. I don't get it? Do most men like gregarious type of women? If so I don't have a chance because I'm the more reserved and subdued type. I guess I better start stocking up on kitty litter.
There is a difference between being cool and reserved on the one hand, and just really shy on the other. If you are so extremely uncomfortable that you don't make eye contact and don't talk, that makes it very difficult for your date to get to know you, and if nothing they say gets a rise out of you, that can be frustrating to someone who is trying to please you and find out what makes you tick.

So what does "reserved and subdued type" mean in your case? In my dating days, as a reticent person myself, I would inform newcomers that clubbing wasn't my thing, that I wasn't a bar vixen, and that I wasn't into sports either, so no screaming on the bleachers for me. But with that out of the way, I think I'm a pretty good dinner companion, I can make even a shy person comfortable, maintain a two-way conversation and take an interest in what people say to me. Find out what your strengths are and emphasize them. However, if social interaction in general is difficult for you under any circumstances, you may want to consider just getting out more -- with your friends, or even alone. Get comfortable talking to strangers; it will do wonders for you.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:44 AM

I am not shy and am very comfortable talking to strangers...I just don't like small talk and I prefer a deeper level of conversation.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:55 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,596,686 times
I've been told the same things several times as well, only by women. But I guess that's what happens when people tell you your feelings don't count. The funny thing is, people who told me that ask me now why I never show emotion!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships