Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 01:30 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,885,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
Long distance relationships are hard, and they WILL NOT last for a long time. I believe there must be a clear idea that soon the two lovers will be together, that could keep both faithful. If everything is indefinite well one or both could stray...

Did the LD once and have vowed never again.
What do you class as "a long time"? My husband and I were long distance about 2 years but I used to post on a forum for LDRs and I remember one couple had been long distance for 8 years. Most "regulars" had been in one for at least a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 02:21 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,527,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlWhoLovesLife View Post
Recently, some of my guy friends and fathers of both male and female friends have told me in casual conversation that if a guy isn't gettin any with his girl for a month(s) at a time, he's getting it somewhere else.

I understand girls run around too, but the fathers of my friends were bent on emphasizing that guys in particular will cheat in LD relationships.

As someone who was in a LD relationship, I'd like to think my boy was being loyal... however it's really hard to tell when people are being phony on the phone, texting, im, skype etc when you're so many miles away.

Some people I've asked said it depends on the person.... thoughts ? Has anybody else told you this casually?
Not necessarily true. All guys have different thresholds for going without sex and their levels of decency.

Going without sex because of a long distance relationship is completely different from a sexless relationship because of fighting and what not.

Look for other red flags such as going out late to the bars and not being able to reach him, or him being uncharacteristically nice the morning after going out with his buddies. Things like that.

Now if you are just looking for reasons simply because it is a LD relationship, then stop. That would **** me off if I've done nothing wrong and my girl was trying to "catch" me.

Good luck with your sexless relationship, they certainly aren't for everyone.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:57 PM

2,068 posts, read 4,338,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
What do you class as "a long time"? My husband and I were long distance about 2 years but I used to post on a forum for LDRs and I remember one couple had been long distance for 8 years. Most "regulars" had been in one for at least a few years.
I would say 2 years should be the max. Anything more and it's just not a real relationship. Or better said the people in the relationship don't actually want to be with the other, as in live together. I couldn't fathom not being able to get together after 2 years someone should be able to move. Whats first love or everything else? I choose love.

Plus I would probably go crazy from anxiousness and doubt. I guess I need a hug and a kiss etc, on a regular basis so that I can feel that things are ok. I need contact and most people do.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:25 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Much depends on the relationship, was there one before the long distance or did it start that way? It can make a difference.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:44 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,308,274 times
Quote:
Luckily my husband is nothing like you. I'm really glad I was never naive enough to get involved with a man like you.
He's nothing like me? You mean he's not good looking?
Look, I see you're from the UK, so you shouldn't even be comparing your husband to a virile American man from a big city. We're most likely a different breed.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:32 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,330,501 times
Long distant relationships are difficult and the challenge works both ways. U got to have a lot of faith in the person and be willing to gamble. U just don't know what anyone will do under the right circumstances. Here's what I think if a guy is not getting any from u and he wants some, he gone get some from somewhere. Now I know there are exceptions, but generally that is the case. "While the cats away the mouse most likely will play."

Old 03-22-2010, 09:23 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
If somebody is unfaithful, he will be even if you're joined by the hip!

Old 03-22-2010, 10:36 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,041,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
long distance relationships are a joke. Its hard enough to get together your other half when they live less than 10 miles away. but i guess if 1 is desperate enough they'll apply the long distance label and rock with it.
lol!!

Old 03-22-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
It always depends on the person. The people who cheat in LDR's do it in local relationships.
Yes, this is true.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
LOL yeah the long distance relationship that led to my marriage is a joke. I love when people make absolute statements like this despite the fact that my husband and I are living proof that they're wrong. Makes me laugh!
Yea, LDR are totally unnatural as they are only kept alive through artificial means like cell phones, skype and the internet. The moment that technology fails so will the relationship.

Back in the old days a man talking 2-3 weeks to get into the next town to sell handcrafted items to support his family is one thing, but to spend months/years at a time away is just ridiculous. A quality relationship can't be built on two fragmented lives that only can come together when it's convenient.

Another thing is that people constantly change, and if you're not there along with a person who is changing, you're loosing out on a critical bonding process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships