Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 09:03 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,730,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky2000 View Post
HI there to all and i wanted to know if any women that is married want to have a married man as a friend chat/talk i have kids and im a good listerner and i want the same in the other person someone that is very understanding is anything wrong in that ?
Probably not, on the condition that your spouse and the married woman's spouse is included in the friendship. Otherwise it's a good way to get blindsided with an emotional affair and possibly more. Watch the motives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 03:24 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,280,058 times
I think if your spouse won't let you have ANY friends from any particular demographic, then that is being selfish. Just cause you're married doesn't mean you should stop living. I have a problem with spouses who isolate their mates from family, friends, etc.. If you can't TRUST them then why are you with them? On the other hand if a married man starts having more than his share of attractive female friends who fit his "profile" then that IS a problem because he's selecting them based on appearance. Why not friend the 500lb fat girl, if you are just friends?

Old 05-04-2010, 03:45 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,329,300 times
"Can a married man have a female friend?" Well NOT if he my husband, but someone else's may...

Old 05-04-2010, 03:48 AM

769 posts, read 1,013,626 times
it will always cause problems but it can happen if the guy is gay

Old 05-04-2010, 11:13 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,108,082 times
I see nothing wrong with having male or female friends. I have both, altho many more female than male friends, and my wife has both. She has traveled out of town with her best friends husband and no one gave a second thought to it. I have many on-line female friends that I correspond with often, my wife knows most of them and they are in fact mutual friends. A couple of my female friends were friends before my wife and I married and she doesn't know them, but the fact that we write back and forth doesn't bother her. Neither of us are jealous, and I think that makes a big difference. My wife knows I choose her instead of any of the other females I know, she is comfortable with that. If I see her exhusband kiss her on the cheek and give her a hug, I feel happy for her, because they are still friends. I know, not everyone feels as we do, but we are happy in our own little world.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:00 PM

751 posts, read 1,674,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky2000 View Post
HI there to all and i wanted to know if any women that is married want to have a married man as a friend chat/talk i have kids and im a good listerner and i want the same in the other person someone that is very understanding is anything wrong in that ?
I'm widowed but not interested in having someone of the opposite sex for a friend.Went that route once and the guy thought he owned me and came on way way to strong so I broke off the friendship.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:56 PM

66 posts, read 189,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Mmmmm...let's see...I'm a married woman and I have several male friends, almost all of whom are married...

In fact, I think it's easier when everyone is married, because it takes anything else off the table.
but even if you are married things don't change for some people

Old 05-20-2010, 02:00 PM

66 posts, read 189,282 times
lol i'm glad i brought this post up interesting answers

Old 05-20-2010, 02:33 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,947,289 times
I have quite a few male friends. My husband is aware of all of them, has met most of them, and is fine with it. I don't actively go searching for guys to befriend, but I work in a male dominated field, so the majority of my coworkers are guys.

We trust each other completely, don't keep secrets, and it works. If I ever felt like I was hiding something or that something was going too far, I'd stop spending time with that person. Similarly, if my husband ever mentioned being concerned, I'd stop too. He's not one to be paranoid or jealous or controlling, so if he asked me to stop spending time with someone, there's a reason.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:38 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,331,581 times
I've become conservative regarding this, and my answer is NO if the man and the lady friend meet alone, or if the woman and the wife are not friends.

The man should entertain his lady friend in the presence of his wife at all times.

I know a couple who is only a few years younger than me. They got married less than 1 year ago. I get along w/ the wife better than with the husband. When the wife went away for the summer last year, when I first saw her after she came back, we hugged each other. It'll be the last hug we'll ever give each other. Nothing bad ever happened, but my instincts told me her husband didn't welcome me being too friendly with his wife. Mind you this happened always and only amongst other common friends/acquaintances. And when this occurred, they were not yet married.

She and I were never close to begin with, and I barely talk to her now when I see her (again, she's always w/ her husband and we're all among others) beyond a "hi." If I do talk to her beyond a greeting, it's again within sight of her husband, and it doesn't go beyond small talk.

I think this is the best policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships