Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 06:40 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorrans View Post
No. I said he respects people and is friendly to them and have good manners, but he is not told what he should do and what he cannot do i.e. like all the hundreds of manuals, blogs, scripts telling men how to be a gentleman and how to behave. You're trying to get technical with me. You as a person can do what you want in life, as long as you are respectful to those around you.

The company policy thing was just an example I wanted to use - but I realise it was a poor example. I haven't had my lunch break yet, that's why. My head is exploding and my stomach is rumbling.
I'm hypoglycemic, so I fully sympathize. I couldn't argue my way out of a wet paper bag when I need to eat. Go have some food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 06:43 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,192,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I'm hypoglycemic, so I fully sympathize. I couldn't argue my way out of a wet paper bag when I need to eat. Go have some food.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:51 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,008,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post

Glad to see I meet the definition.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:32 AM

7 posts, read 10,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
A gentleman is a man who has respect for the centuries old tradition of chivalrous behavior towards women. The characteristics of gentleman are concern for the safety, comfort and well being of those in his presence who lack his physical strength and prowess. That would be women, children and the elderly. It is also a willingness to share his time and resources with those in need of them. A gentleman is courteous, gallant, modest, considerate and assertive when the feelings or rights of those weaker than he are being trampled on.

When I discover I am in the presence of a gentleman, I hasten to let them know that I deeply respect and appreciate their choice to behave in this manner. I don't take advantage by constantly asking them to do things I can do myself, or making myself a drain on their resources. This way ensures that a man continues to feel good about his choice of being a gentleman.
I like that.

Being a gentleman is an attitude which focuses on establishing respect of your values and the values of those around you.

In our modern days gentlemen are not as categorized as in the movies, hold doors and help you with you coat and tell you cheese lines to impress the person they accompany. Gentlemen are the balace of Hyper-masculinity (jerks-duchebags call them how you like) and Hypo-masculinity (the nice guy, the one who puts women on a pedestal).

Gentlemen are flexible and yet they remain unbendable to their code of honor.

Being a Gentleman means Combining Strenght and Honor into your personnality.

Quote from the gladiator: What we do in life Echoes in Eternity.

Categorizing them : Hyper - Masculine = Controlling
Hypo - Masculine = Controlled
The Gentlemen = Vigilant

Old 05-05-2010, 07:45 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,163,797 times
The Male Definition of a Gentleman = Major Pu$$y

Old 05-05-2010, 07:56 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Someone who respects himself and others. Polite, courteous, well mannered and someone who as the saying goes would treat a cleaning Lady as he would a Duchess. Someone who always thinks of others before he thinks of himself and who is dependable, kind, and helpful to the weakest and most vulnerable in our society. Loyalty, a sense of duty, honour and being man enough to not conform to our socio cultural stereotypes about being manly. No macho nonense, no one upmanship. Real gentlemen are far and few between nowadays , possibly because Ladies are also disappearing off the radar faster than talent in the music industry...

Good manners and politeness seem to have gone out of fashion . Shame as there is nothing sexier in a man.

Being a Gentleman has certainly nothing to do with wealth, education or social class.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:19 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Yeah, and a sneaky perv. lol
Well, they do say that discretion is the better part of valor.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:22 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,007,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
The Male Definition of a Gentleman = Major Pu$$y
Oh yeah? Chuck Norris is a gentleman and he'd wup you I'm sure.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:06 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugot_luis View Post
I like that.

Being a gentleman is an attitude which focuses on establishing respect of your values and the values of those around you.

In our modern days gentlemen are not as categorized as in the movies, hold doors and help you with you coat and tell you cheese lines to impress the person they accompany. Gentlemen are the balace of Hyper-masculinity (jerks-duchebags call them how you like) and Hypo-masculinity (the nice guy, the one who puts women on a pedestal).

Gentlemen are flexible and yet they remain unbendable to their code of honor.

Being a Gentleman means Combining Strenght and Honor into your personnality.

Quote from the gladiator: What we do in life Echoes in Eternity.

Categorizing them : Hyper - Masculine = Controlling
Hypo - Masculine = Controlled
The Gentlemen = Vigilant

That was absolutely beautiful. Especially the last three lines. Exactly! it takes strength to be willing to follow the code of honor. It's the consistency of following that, which gives credence to the man who is a gentleman. It takes a very secure man to be willing to follow the code of honor and not think someone is trying to "control" him. When I am with a gentleman, I feel safe. I feel the way women ought to feel, the way they used to feel, when they were with a man. I can't help but respect (and possibly adore) a man who does this.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:48 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,280,240 times
I guess a gentleman is the man who does all kinds of things for a woman: open door, pull her chair, cover her with his umbrella while he gets wet, takes off his coat for her, stands up when there is a woman present in the room, gives her his own seat, pays for her meals, pays for her entertainment, pays for her wine, proposes marriage with that big ring, walks on the street side of the sidewalk, helps her get in the car and out, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

I have no problem with any of that...if women offered it as well. Now that is what I would find awesome. Women/Men treating each other with the VERY SAME HONOR AND RESPECT. But nope, chivalry is all about how men treat women. Now that is straight sexist and discriminatory but you won't hear women complain about it. It's like approving racism. Have a guy say "A true lady is the one who stays in the kitchen" and people will point fingers at him calling him all kinds of things for daring himself to say such a terrible sexist discrimatory thing.

If people will treat their sons to be a woman's doormat all under the name of chivalry, then why not teach our daughters how to stay in the kitchen? How about treating our sons/daughters to treat each other with the very same honor and respect instead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships