Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 12:22 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times

Advertisements

One fourth of July, several years ago I asked one of my good friends if she would like to go for a ride to a near by town and back. We had a wonderful time enjoying a park while at the town and on the way home we stopped by one of the lakes and I took several photos of her. We left the lake and as we neared home she asked why I never had asked her out on a date. I told her I didn't want to fall in love, that I had been through a rough divorce and I didn't want to get married again. She called me a couple different times and with in two months we were dating once in a while and saw each other two or three times a week. That turned into her stopping by my house on her way home from work and having dinner with me. Six years later, we decided we weren't going to find anyone else we wanted to spend time with, so we got married. I think I fell in love before she ever started stopping by my home for dinner. And one night while I was doing the dishes and she was in the kitchen watching, she made the statment that she hoped what we were doing would lead to us spending the rest of our lives together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 03:49 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indecisive09 View Post
I think I fell too fast with all of them. I don't want to fall too fast for the next guy. If you fall in love too fast, is it likely that it isn't really love but more like infatuation?
yes. absolutely. that or lust. either way, it takes time to really get to know someone, and without really knowing someone it is not love, but something else.

very very wise. type it out on note cards and post it prominently exactly what you said "if you fall in love too fast, it isn't really love"

same thing when someone tells me right away that they love me. In my head the first thing that pops into my mind is, "You don't even know me, how can you possibly love me?" They can be attracted to me, they can want to sleep with me, they can be impressed by me, they can want to own me, but it's not love until they get to know me.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:55 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Let me know OP when you do fall in real love. Had the fake stuff.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:58 PM

418 posts, read 1,382,100 times
When I first met him I hated him. (I was 14. lol)
Then I thought loved him. (all thru high school. But we were never actually together. Lots of drama involved. Not really sure if this was really love.)
Then we went are seperate ways. (our 20's)
Then he found me again (when I was 28) and I realized I never stop loving him and he finally admitted how he felt all those years.
So all in all it took 14 years to realize I really did love him.
Its been a long road and we are both people that don't show our feelings well or say "I love you". But I do love the man, no matter how much he drives me crazy sometimes.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:40 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,352 times
I was dating my husband for about 7 months before I realized I was in love with him.

They way I feel for my husband hasn't changed. We were dating 3 years before we got married and have been married for 5. Everyone said our infatution would soon fade. I wonder when.. the number of years together or married before in fatuation fades seems to keep getting higher and higher the longer we're together, Strange, isn't it?

Old 05-31-2010, 10:10 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
I don't think there's a timeline for falling in love. Sometimes you know right away, sometimes it takes time to fall.

There was quite a bit of hesitation on my part in the love department with my current relationship. I withheld a lot of feelings and emotions because I was afraid of what might happen. Once I finally let go, I opened the door and he was still standing there waiting - I knew I loved him.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:14 PM

160 posts, read 454,660 times
If they tell you (or vise-versa) that they love you in the first week/month....BEWARE! That's infatuation (sp?)

Either way......I have learned over the years (about myself) that I need to date someone at least a year before I can make any kind of decision. After a year everyone lets their guard down and you see the true person. Then make a decision if you still love them with all their faults. Everyone has faults, you just have to decide if you can live with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indecisive09 View Post
How long were you dating your SO before you realized you loved them? How did you know you were in love with them? I have been "in love" three times in my life, but I think I fell too fast with all of them. I am currently single and don't want to fall too fast for the next guy. If you fall in love too fast, is it likely that it isn't really love but more like infatuation?

Old 05-31-2010, 11:47 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,431,077 times
I didn't know it, but I truly believe it was the first time we talked. It wasn't what he looked like that impressed me, it was his words that I was digging. He made me feel a trust I had never felt before upon first meeting someone. I was with someone else I was infatuated with at the time we met. But suddenly I was thinking more of the new guy, than I was about the one I was with. Even then, I didn't realize it was love, but slowly I discovered that it was, when he kept telling me things that would have made other women run, but I stayed. I didn't know it, but I do realize, that I did love him from the start.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:51 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,987,379 times
Relationships that start fast will end fast. It usually takes people about 3 months into a relationship to be comfortable enough to be themselves, totally. Likewise, it takes about that much time to view your partner with a clear head, devoid of the haze of new love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships