Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 09:12 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,153,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Ladies what is your opinion of men that entertain themselves with video games?
I'm a male and I snicker everytime I hear a 40 year old....30 year old ....20+ year old male (or female) talk about they're so deeply into video game playing. Cracks me up.

Sorry, but it's silly to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 09:17 AM

213 posts, read 416,653 times
As long as its not obsessive I don't mind. I might even join him in his game playing occasionally.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:30 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
I game and have for years.
I don't watch much TV and I also play with my kids which has led to some really good bonding. (We also get out of the house to do stuff)

I also don't golf or watch much sports. I have a good job, cook, clean, raise my kids etc. and at this stage of my life know who I am and what I like so if somewhat can't deal with the fact I'm a gamer then good luck and happy trails to you.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:39 PM

483 posts, read 555,630 times
I found Galaga online and for free about a year ago. I'm 51 and it satisfies a long time longing for an old (not complex) game I used to enjoy with my son years ago. I'm 51, successful and it is just something I do in my spare time. It is very theraputic and I feel it improves my concentration and reflexes. Great thing about it is I don't have to spend a dime on video games.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:43 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times
As long as its casual and not 10 hours a day every day. Once your video game interupts OUR life, you're fired

Old 06-01-2010, 12:46 PM

23 posts, read 32,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
I'm a male and I snicker everytime I hear a 40 year old....30 year old ....20+ year old male (or female) talk about they're so deeply into video game playing. Cracks me up.

Do you snicker when 20-40 year old men and women express interest in television, the internet, or any other hobby based on passive entertainment?

I've found that the majority of detractors of video games belong in at least one of the following categories:

They're older and belong in a generation that predates the ubiquity of video games and as such as incapable of appreciating that video games are now mainstream among adults. These are usually people who proudly refer to themselves as "old-fashioned" and thus are the sort of people that are too stubborn to ever change their beliefs.

They had the misfortune of being in a relationship with a guy/girl who was addicted to games and resents all gamers because of it.

They hear alarmist stories about people being addicted to games or acting violently after playing them and choose to believe that all gamers are like the ones they hear about.

Really, you could go back to the 1950's and replace "video games" with "rock and roll music" and you'd pretty much have the exact same opponents with the exact same views.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:47 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,391,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Everything in moderation.

If my husband started skimping out on his responsibilities around the house or at work because he was too busy playing games at midnight, it'd be a problem. If he'd rather play video game than watch a movie on Friday nights though, why should I care?

I've tried buying games for our wii that interest both of us, so we can play together on occasion.
This is my issue. Hubby doesn't go to work until 10a, so he plays them all morning. He refuses to walk the dog, or do anything in the "chore" department. I get home in the afternoon to a messy house, with a stinky kitchen, and a dog desperate for exercise and attention. I usually spend about 2-3 hours after work picking up, walking the dog, and cooking dinner. Then he asks, "why are you so tired?" when 9 o'clock rolls around.

But on the other hand, I do like my private time. I also have completely different taste in movies than he does, so I like to rent movies for myself that I know he'll never want to see. He'll game out while I get my movie fix which works out well.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:53 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,141,375 times
I actually think it's kinda sexy for a cute guy to be into video games at a level that's not detrimental (casual gaming), since I love gaming myself.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:05 PM

751 posts, read 1,673,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Ladies what is your opinion of men that entertain themselves with video games?

I do things I like why shouldn't the man in my life be able to do the very same.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:11 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,314,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post

My knee-jerk reaction is the same because I don't play and just don't "get" video/computer games. They were never my thing. But then I figured that I sometimes spend hours at a time reading books -- mystery, fantasy, and romance usually -- or indulging in a NCIS or Burn Notice marathon, and how is that any less silly than playing games?

I'm sure there's a line between a past-time and a consuming obsession. As long as a person stays on the healthy (and part-time) side of that line, then I guess it's all good. I totally agree with the posters who say that the gaming can't get in the way of one's other responsibilities (to the house, the job, the kids, the marriage, etc.), but other than that, I suppose it's no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships