Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 10:28 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,070,300 times

Advertisements

Did God create himself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 10:33 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Default Eternal God...

Most theists (myself included) believe that God is eternal, uncaused, outside time and space, unlimited therefore, by natural laws.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:35 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times
Arrow What she said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Most theists (myself included) believe that God is eternal, uncaused, outside time and space, unlimited therefore, by natural laws.
"God is not who you think He is; He is who He says He is." –Clarice Fluitt

Old 08-16-2007, 10:36 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
This is a question that we've tossed around a few times. Generally believers tend to just accept the existence of God on faith alone and don't question how or why he came into being. I don't believe there is a God and since we can't even prove that God exists we certainly don't have any information about how he might have come into existence in the first place. I suspect that many people just imagine God as somehow existing outside of the laws of nature and that explanations about the nature of God and where he came from aren't really necessary.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:41 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
This is a question that we've tossed around a few times. Generally believers tend to just accept the existence of God on faith alone and don't question how or why he came into being. I don't believe there is a God and since we can't even prove that God exists we certainly don't have any information about how he might have come into existence in the first place. I suspect that many people just imagine God as somehow existing outside of the laws of nature and that explanations about the nature of God and where he came from aren't really necessary.
We live outside the laws of everything we've created.

Why is this such a hard concept to grasp?

Does it make believers seem somehow less intelligent or rational?

I don't have to consume gas to move around, but my car does.

I don't have to plug into electricity to work, but my computer does.

The ball on my front lawn has to have a force to cause it to move, mine comes from my brain.

All of these things operate by different 'laws' than their creator operates under.

Why is difficult to grasp our Creator does the same.

It's quite logical and easy to grasp, in my opinion.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:43 AM

Default God or something else...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
It's not really that explanations are not necessary. It's just that something existed eternally or came into being "uncaused." Whether that something is a molecule, a vapor, a force, anything...Theists, coupled with a whole lot of other evidence for God, just believe that it is more reasonable to believe in God (who would by definition be totally outside the realm of anything else) rather than some other "natural" something which would have no reason to be separate or different from anything else in the "natural" world. Does this make sense?

Old 08-16-2007, 10:45 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times
Arrow What She Said Again!

Quote:
It's not really that explanations are not necessary. It's just that something existed eternally or came into being "uncaused." Whether that something is a molecule, a vapor, a force, anything...Theists, coupled with a whole lot of other evidence for God, just believe that it is more reasonable to believe in God (who would by definition be totally outside the realm of anything else) rather than some other "natural" something which would have no reason to be separate or different from anything else in the "natural" world. Does this make sense?
"There is only one reality. That reality is God. The soul of man must contact God, and unless the spirit of man is truly joined to God, there is no such thing as real Christian manifestation." --John G. Lake

Old 08-16-2007, 10:54 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times
Quote:

It is interesting, then, why anything other than God would exist today. Do you have an explanation?

Why is there a need to believe that God exists, other than as a catch-all idea to account for things that human beings today don't understand. This is the "God of the gaps" criticism of theism.

Also, if you hadn't been taught about religious ideas as a child, would you today believe in God? If you had taught as a child to believe in Krisha, that is most likely what you would believe as an adult.

Last edited by ParkTwain; 08-16-2007 at 11:04 AM..

Old 08-16-2007, 11:04 AM

Default God...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
It is interesting, then, why anything other than God would exist today. Do you have an explanation?

Why is there a need to believe that God exists, other than as a catch-all idea to account for things that human beings today don't understand.

Also, if you hadn't been taught about religious ideas as a child, would you today believe in God? If you had taught as a child to believe in Krisha, that is most likely what you would believe as an adult.
Well, obviously, Christians believe that other things exist because God created them. He wanted them to be here.

I personally don't feel I have a "need" to believe in a deity. I just think it's logical. I grew up in a theistic but non-religious home and yes, that probably did pre-dispose me to believe in God. However, as I posted under "why I believe" in the ask a Christian thread, I think there are other reasons. The short answer is Jesus. He radiates the essence of truth IMO. He is a very compelling, unexpected character.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:05 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times
Quote:
Well, obviously, Christians believe that other things exist because God created them. He wanted them to be here.

I personally don't feel I have a "need" to believe in a deity. I just think it's logical. I grew up in a theistic but non-religious home and yes, that probably did pre-dispose me to believe in God. However, as I posted under "why I believe" in the ask a Christian thread, I think there are other reasons. The short answer is Jesus. He radiates the essence of truth IMO. He is a very compelling, unexpected character.

I don't know why you don't believe in evolution then, because you certainly have a very low threshold of demonstrability for you belief -- that is, to believe something such as Christianity that is so deep and all-encompassing yet is based on such a collection of questionable stories authored 2,000 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality