Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe in evolution?
Yes 112 78.87%
No 30 21.13%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 09:38 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,823,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrill View Post
ok let me break something down for you, we may match scientifically in some ways, but that means nothing. it just means that we are similar. A chicken a dog and duck have the same number of chromosomes, tabacco and chimps have the same number of chromosomes. does that mean they all had a common ancestor? no. to me it just means that thats the way they were created.

Then God intentionally created defects in a pattern that mimmics evolution. WHy would that be the case? That is not tenable. Humans and old world monkeys share a defective gene, known as the GULO gene. The GULO gene is responsible for the synthesis of ascorbic acid. Mammals that have a malfunctioning (broken) GULO gene include fruit bats, hamsters, humans, and many old world monkeys.

Pretty much all other animals have a functioning GULO gene, which means they do not require ascorbic acid in their diets. How could this gene break? Well, in species that have diets rich in ascorbic acid, the gene could break, and the defect be passed on without anyone being the wiser, at least until the dietary deficiency occurred.

Now, we know very well what the GULO gene does. We have engineered mice with a gene broken the same way it is broken in humans, and they suffer the same maladies humans suffer when subjected to an ascorbic poor diet.

Are we also related to fruit bats, because their GULO gene is also broken? Well, most likely we ARE related to fruit bats, though not nearly as recently as we are early primates, and not because of the GULO gene. Our genetic code is very similar to that of the old world monkeys, and our GULO gene is broken somewhat the same way theirs is broken. New world monkeys (south american primates) do NOT have a broken GULO gene. Nor do ALL old world (Africa) monkeys. We appear to be more distantly related to those primates with functioning GULO genes than to those with the broken gene.

Also, the GULO gene of primates is broken one way, the GULO gene of fruit bats is broken a very different way. Hamster GULO genes appear to be broken in yet a third way.

Ask yourself why a Creator would create a defect in our species, and the same defect in what appears to be a closely related species, and in just such a way as to be highly suggestive of common ancestry.

This is NOT to imply that a Creator does not exist. Simply that if one does, the most likely answer is that evolution was used as the primary tool of creation.

One does not have to be an atheist to accept evolution. But one pretty much must reject science to deny evolution.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:29 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Then God intentionally created defects in a pattern that mimmics evolution. WHy would that be the case? That is not tenable. Humans and old world monkeys share a defective gene, known as the GULO gene. The GULO gene is responsible for the synthesis of ascorbic acid. Mammals that have a malfunctioning (broken) GULO gene include fruit bats, hamsters, humans, and many old world monkeys.

Pretty much all other animals have a functioning GULO gene, which means they do not require ascorbic acid in their diets. How could this gene break? Well, in species that have diets rich in ascorbic acid, the gene could break, and the defect be passed on without anyone being the wiser, at least until the dietary deficiency occurred.

Now, we know very well what the GULO gene does. We have engineered mice with a gene broken the same way it is broken in humans, and they suffer the same maladies humans suffer when subjected to an ascorbic poor diet.

Are we also related to fruit bats, because their GULO gene is also broken? Well, most likely we ARE related to fruit bats, though not nearly as recently as we are early primates, and not because of the GULO gene. Our genetic code is very similar to that of the old world monkeys, and our GULO gene is broken somewhat the same way theirs is broken. New world monkeys (south american primates) do NOT have a broken GULO gene. Nor do ALL old world (Africa) monkeys. We appear to be more distantly related to those primates with functioning GULO genes than to those with the broken gene.

Also, the GULO gene of primates is broken one way, the GULO gene of fruit bats is broken a very different way. Hamster GULO genes appear to be broken in yet a third way.

Ask yourself why a Creator would create a defect in our species, and the same defect in what appears to be a closely related species, and in just such a way as to be highly suggestive of common ancestry.

This is NOT to imply that a Creator does not exist. Simply that if one does, the most likely answer is that evolution was used as the primary tool of creation.

One does not have to be an atheist to accept evolution. But one pretty much must reject science to deny evolution.
The GULO gene is common to many creatures because of common designer. The gene appears broken is several "species" because it can just break, not because these "species" are related.

How did the sight or hearing or touch form in very different/non-related "species"? All common ancestor? No, just a common designer.

God did not form genes broken. Some of these things have occured since sin entered the world. Some of what we called broken genes are not really broken at all, but rather can be switched on or off. This on/off mechanism retained from the original creation of that perticualr KIND of animal.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:32 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,823,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
The GULO gene is common to many creatures because of common designer. The gene appears broken is several "species" because it can just break, not because these "species" are related.

How did the sight or hearing or touch form in very different/non-related "species"? All common ancestor? No, just a common designer.

God did not form genes broken. Some of these things have occured since sin entered the world. Some of what we called broken genes are not really broken at all, but rather can be switched on or off. This on/off mechanism retained from the original creation of that perticualr KIND of animal.
So the gene just breaks? When does that gene break? At 2 yrs old? At birth? During gestation? Or is it handed down already broken? So God designed broken genes in a pattern that mimmicked evolution. All righty then. So why did we get stuck with the bad design? I don't see that as incompetence, that's just mean. I think that is smoke I smell.

Last edited by PanTerra; 07-29-2010 at 10:48 AM..

Old 07-29-2010, 10:34 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post

Wow.

I've emailed my biological anthropology teacher a copy of this thread, he should get a kick out of it

Old 07-29-2010, 07:15 PM

397 posts, read 608,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
No, its not. I don't believe in the literal creation in the bible. I believe the earth is very old. There were dinosaurs and they did not live with humans.
so what kind of god have you made up yourself to believe in?

Old 07-29-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You keep claiming that you have valid evidence of the existence of God, you would be the first, so bring it on, I have yet to see any myself...

People are taught the evidence and findings of science regarding evolution...Where does the teaching of God come from? An old unverifiable book...You loose...
haha wow, your too funny. ya let me spend the rest of my life trying to explain something you may never understand. if your not naturally curious as to why we're here or what happens after death or even before you were alive, what makes the heart start beating, whats the purpose of the entire universe, i cant help you. you have to find it yourself because i wont waste my breath on someone that doesnt want to listen and already is not open minded to the fact that there may be a god in your mindset. rifleman doesnt get anything. he thinks some crap about rna or dna or whatever new "proof" of evolution is the next best thing. people learn new things everyday. and as far as god goes, hes always been there, the heavens and the earth, never changed, etc. etc. the theory of evolution and even scientifically have changed. everyone had "proof" at one time the earth was flat... and you could tell them night and day it cant be but their proof in my mind is just as good as the "proof" of evolution. its going to change. and one day, when the people who believe in god know of the day of judgement, one day that day will come and some people will still not believe whats going on. so why waste my time with those kind of people.

the bible may have changed, the torah may have changed, people try and change the quran but the concept of one god, heaven and hell, demons and angels, satan or the devil... the basics havent changed in over 6000 years. people just change the details to try and fill their own personal goals. but my "theory" has lasted almost since the beginning of man, not evolution wise because evolution says weve been here for 200000 years... ya right... but your theory was just invented by a scientist, and its changed constantly....

Old 07-29-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Really?

Consider John 15:

[1]"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener.
[2]He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit,
while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that
it will be even more fruitful. "

so hes talking about evolution here?... two verses say it all? how do you know hes not talking about the good and bad within you. he "takes away the bad" and "nurtures the good"... im sure theres a few more ways to take this verse...

Old 07-29-2010, 07:32 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,044,013 times
Quote:
so what kind of god have you made up yourself to believe in?

Well I guess I should expect no less you. You do know that many many folks don't read the Bible literally. There are Christians and Jews who don't read the Bible literally. It does not change the G-d they worship.

I know within Islam there are not deviations. My religion is not one of submission, it is a religion of asking the question, learning and not all Jews are the same but we worship the G-d of Abraham.

I understand that you are not able to understand diversity so you attack, but maybe you should listen.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Well I'm really lost for words here!!
why because your "proof" of an elephant painting proves nothing at all??

Old 07-29-2010, 07:35 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,044,013 times
Quote:
haha wow, your too funny. ya let me spend the rest of my life trying to explain something you may never understand. if your not naturally curious as to why we're here or what happens after death or even before you were alive, what makes the heart start beating, whats the purpose of the entire universe, i cant help you. you have to find it yourself because i wont waste my breath on someone that doesnt want to listen and already is not open minded to the fact that there may be a god in your mindset. rifleman doesnt get anything. he thinks some crap about rna or dna or whatever new "proof" of evolution is the next best thing. people learn new things everyday. and as far as god goes, hes always been there, the heavens and the earth, never changed, etc. etc. the theory of evolution and even scientifically have changed. everyone had "proof" at one time the earth was flat... and you could tell them night and day it cant be but their proof in my mind is just as good as the "proof" of evolution. its going to change. and one day, when the people who believe in god know of the day of judgement, one day that day will come and some people will still not believe whats going on. so why waste my time with those kind of people.

the bible may have changed, the torah may have changed, people try and change the quran but the concept of one god, heaven and hell, demons and angels, satan or the devil... the basics havent changed in over 6000 years. people just change the details to try and fill their own personal goals. but my "theory" has lasted almost since the beginning of man, not evolution wise because evolution says weve been here for 200000 years... ya right... but your theory was just invented by a scientist, and its changed constantly....
You sound ignorant..... But then most of the muslim posters here when they find no one will buy what they are trying to sell they resort to verbal attacks.

Islam is not the religion of G-d. It is a dangerous religion and hopefully it will be defeated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality