Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2007, 01:02 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,359 times

Advertisements

I've never attended one as an adult but I recently became curious when I learned of family members who have started to host them regularly out of their home (they live quite a ways away so I haven't witnessed first-hand) and that a church I attend has in excess of 50+ running weekly via the membership (yes, this is a huge church and I am in the mid-west but when this was mentioned Sunday I was admittantly shocked at the large number).

If my wife and I joined one, what should our expectations be? Looking for any guidance/advise/wisdom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 01:28 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,500,716 times
I think what you get out of a Bible study would depend on the subject being discussed.

I've attended many. Some have a teacher who has prepared a lesson themselves regarding a specific topic. Some have a curriculum that you can purchase (Beth Moore writes many in-depth Bible studies). These usually include a daily devotion or reading homework. I have always learned something or gained some sort of wisdom to apply to my own life.

I really enjoy regular Sunday sermons, but a Bible study will allow for more question/answer time. You really get a greater understanding of what the Bible is all about. I don't know your personal schedule, but if time permits, I would definately encourage you to try one out. It's never a bad idea to learn more about what the Bible has to say!

Old 08-20-2007, 01:32 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,791,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
I've never attended one as an adult but I recently became curious when I learned of family members who have started to host them regularly out of their home (they live quite a ways away so I haven't witnessed first-hand) and that a church I attend has in excess of 50+ running weekly via the membership (yes, this is a huge church and I am in the mid-west but when this was mentioned Sunday I was admittantly shocked at the large number).

If my wife and I joined one, what should our expectations be? Looking for any guidance/advise/wisdom?
My wife and I are also kicking around the thought of joining our church's "small groups" - which are bible studies at home with others from our church. From what I understand, this is for our church, they try to pair up groups of eight or so like people, for example, married 30's, singles, etc. Now, this summer it was handled differently and there was a structured study in which the participants had to purchase the study materials (< $20). Most times, however, I don't believe that's required. I'm sure if you asked they'd tell you.

The basic premise I've gathered is the members of the group take turns hosting at their home each week. And pretty much it's open discussion about the application of biblical principals for the topic being studied. I have heard many positive things happen from small groups. I've been told that lasting friendships can be established. Kind of like this forum, only in real life and with like believers .

We're still dragging our feet because of some unrelated issues with our church, but also not sure of my comfort level on the thought of possibly being judged or viewed in an unflattering light by those who would be in the group. But those are my personal issues, and not reasons I have heard anyone else mention as ever arising. It's just my concern.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:55 PM

193 posts, read 1,027,877 times
My husband and I recently started a new bible study group and just love it. It is a time of fellowship amongst other christians. We study the word of god and get everyones input on what that scripture means to them. We have a leader who guides us through the versus but it is an open meeting for anyone to speak up. We so enjoy this at our church and our kids go to their classes as well. It is nice because our church has the kids reading the same scripture as the parents. This way we can discuss what we learned at home with our children. I learn alot on Sunday morning but bible study is just as important to us. Search one out and see what you think.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:09 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,264,498 times
Default What to expect...

Different Bible studies I'm sure are probably organized differently. They are usually quite enjoyable. At least that's been my experience. The ones my husband and I have participated in were not strictly Bible study. The last one, for example, we met at someone's home, had a "covered dish" dinner and conversation for awhile, then studied the Bible for a little while, then if anyone had any prayer needs we prayed for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality