Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 11:34 AM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
It's funny you say that because you didn't hear the part where Christopher himself was surprised by how many CHRISTIANS were sending him prayer request and get well cards!! All the Christians here have been saying we hope he gets well!! Your the only bitter walnut criticizing others AS USUAL in his time of pain and suffering trying to find ANY reason to spread your hatefulness! And who the heck is coming to your home Sanspeur?! Nobody wants to go to your smelly house. Are you really that paranoid?
Oh, I watched the entire video, and I put as much stock in the Christians praying for Hitchens as he does himself...Totally worthless as far as any healing benefit is concerned, but it is so nice that now that he is ill they are sending him get well wishes instead of the sentiments they had before he got ill...I don't remember even one Christian saying a kind word about him then...Can you say hypocrites?

Christians are like ghouls when they think that there might be a chance of "saving" an atheist soul. I sincerely hope that his battle with cancer will be successful, and Christians can go back to hating the man as they did before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 11:39 AM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Oh, I watched the entire video, and I put as much stock in the Christians praying for Hitchens as he does himself...Totally worthless as far as any healing benefit is concerned, but it is so nice that now that he is ill they are sending him get well wishes instead of the sentiments they had before he got ill...I don't remember even one Christian saying a kind word about him then...Can you say hypocrites?

Christians are like ghouls when they think that there might be a chance of "saving" an atheist soul. I sincerely hope that his battle with cancer will be successful, and Christians can go back to hating the man as they did before.
Your EXTREMELY confused. Because what I clearly remember is that HE hated US. Not the other way around! You have disillusioned yourself into believing that. Just as well if it was Richard Dawkins going through the surgury, he would have had the same response from Christians! We're not the ones that are hateful. It's the people who take pleasure in mocking us and everything we stand for that are the hateful ones. Creating books like The God Delusion and you still think WERE the hateful ones?

Old 08-07-2010, 11:52 AM

465 posts, read 528,786 times
Quote:
Your EXTREMELY confused. Because what I clearly remember is that HE hated US. Not the other way around! You have disillusioned yourself into believing that. Just as well if it was Richard Dawkins going through the surgury, he would have had the same response from Christians! We're not the ones that are hateful. It's the people who take pleasure in mocking us and everything we stand for that are the hateful ones. Creating books like The God Delusion and you still think WERE the hateful ones?
That's your problem. Anyone with a different viewpoint or anyone who disagrees with you is "hating you".

Old 08-07-2010, 11:59 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,561,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I put as much stock in the Christians praying for Hitchens as he does himself..
The absolute ineffectiveness of prayer can be proven beyond any reasonable doubt but you can bet the Christians will never buy into it. In the 1930's, 1940's and 1950's the two big killers were cancer and coronary. Every family had a member or close friend with one of those ailments. On Wednesday evening at churches all over the country prayer lists were over a foot long. Christians prayed for those people till their knees were bloody. Nothing changed...folks suffered and died because surgery was all they had for cancer and usually when they operated the tumors matasticised, the disease spread and in most cases less than a year later the patient was dead. Most times the first heart attack was fatal but those who survived had a few years of existing as an invalid and then they died. No telling how many billions of prayers were said and obviously either god didn't hear them or they just drifted off into never never land...which is my belief.

Now...thanks to the advent of computers and especially the integrated circuit chip, there are sophisticated diagnostic machines, MRI's, CTScans, better diets, blood thinners, stents, bypass surgeries, transplants, stem cell flushing, Chemo, Radiation, etc. and the same types of patients live on into their eighties and sometimes nineties. Granted early detection is key to treatment but such facts wouldn't have helped the field of medical science in the old days because of limited treatment capability. Prayer doesn't have anything to do with their living now and it didn't have anything to do with their dying back then.

Most Christians have been so thoroughly brainwashed by the time they are adults that their unbridled imagination does the rest.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:12 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
No. he doesn't hate Christians at all, just some of your dogma...That is just your persecution complex asserting itself.

How is claiming there is no God hateful to Christians anymore than the claim that there is hateful to atheists?

We are not mocking you personally, but criticizing some of your beliefs. You need to realize that that is not personal, and certainly not hateful.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Don't feel left out....I've don't know who he is either.
You folks should start watching the evening news. Christopher Hitchings is one of the world's foremost and most outspoken atheists who has debated representatives of the various religions and media anchors for the last several years:

YouTube - ‪Full Version: Hitchens and Boteach Debate on God‬‎

Christopher Hitchens vs Al Sharpton on Atheism and God - The Full Debate#

FORA.tv - Christopher Hitchens Debates Alister McGrath

YouTube - ‪Christopher Hitchens embarrasses Hannity in god debate‬‎

ETC.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:43 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Thank you for digging them up Melvin G .
Except for right here on CD, the subject just doesn't enter my mind that often so I wouldn't spend any time watching it on TV or recordings.
And CD allows for multi-tasking.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:47 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,719,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detmi7mile View Post
Oh be quiet!

You DON'T know anything. You, like all religious people, seem to know an awful lot about the "Afterlife" for someone who hasn't died yet!
And Atheists claim to know that there is none either, and yet, few Atheists have died to tell about it.

Kinda funny how an argument like that cuts both ways.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
few Atheists have died to tell about it.
Few? Surely you jest. Dying is death...that's why they call it dead.

Nobody is going to rise up from the grave, float away on a cloud, meet Hey Zeus in mid air, pass through pearly gates and walk streets paved with gold. Nobody is going to have the creator of our magnificent universe prepare a table before them in the presence of their enemies. That stuff is more far fetched than Jack and the Beanstalk...which incidently I prefer. I've read the new testament about ten times and about Jack less than that but I still prefer him.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:29 PM

465 posts, read 528,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
And Atheists claim to know that there is none either, and yet, few Atheists have died to tell about it.

Kinda funny how an argument like that cuts both ways.
Actually they don't. There may be a few who say they absolutely know, just like there are christians who say so, but you clearly don't know the definition of atheism.

It's lack of belief in a god or gods.

I'm agnostic....but hey that could change as I keep looking at the evidence.

I read the bible, I see no reason why I should believe that all of it is true more than any other faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality