Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 07:25 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,418,582 times

Advertisements

Quote Lamplight...."As an atheist, I'd be perfectly satisfied if death was just the end of my existence. If it meant missing out on a possible heaven, I'd be fine with that as long as I was also missing out on a possible hell. I'm at peace with nothingness after death."This is my whole point. YOU will have nothingness after death. But it's another story for your soul/spirit. It will travel to wherever according to how you prepared it while you were alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 07:31 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,749,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
This is my whole point. YOU will have nothingness after death. But it's another story for your soul/spirit. It will travel to wherever according to how you prepared it while you were alive.
That's what you assume, and that's fine. But not everyone agrees with you, and no one knows for sure.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:15 AM

180 posts, read 217,327 times
An afterlife seems like wishful thinking to me. Me and my group/orginization goes to heaven , my enemies/anyone who disagrees go to hell. People dont want to think that this is all we have. We want to see those that we loved dearly again and we dont want this to be all that there is. We want to believe that all the terrible people on the planet will get punished and the good rewarded.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:05 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,045,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detmi7mile View Post
you haven't died yet?

I hear a lot of people offer these vivid descriptions and details of what happens.

How do you know this?

Why would I tell someone all about Australia like an expert, if I haven't been there or lived there? Who would take my advice on where to stay and what restaurants to visit?

They don't. I remember as a kid and I did not grow up in a religious house hold but we did Christmas and Easter and never went to church. I was never told about hell, but somewhere I learned about it and it scared the heck out of me. But then I thought why would G-d pick one group over another and how did they know for sure.

They don't. But making people fearful is what they do and making children scared is emotional child abuse.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:42 PM

871 posts, read 3,019,421 times
I'm lately in a quandry as I was raised a Catholic, never took to it, never felt it, and today do not believe the bible to be the word of god nor do I believe in any of the scripture or gospels or any of the man-made scare tactics handed down through the centuries.

However, I do feel strong spiritual connections with loved ones who have died. I am strongly convinced that there is a connection between my dream state during sleep and a current/future existence in another world. Very much like this one. In a sense, I get to control my experiences and sort of craft my environment.

My dreams are very much different from real life. I spend a lot of time in different places and interact with many people whose faces and personalities are not those of people I know here. Mental illness? Nah.

I also have had just a couple of very lucid interactions with deceased friends and even my parents that are as realistic as this very moment. So, I do not KNOW there is life after death, but I do strongly suspect there is. I further do not feel that we are in need of fearing an all powerful god, needing to obsess over sinful behavior, or watch out for our souls to be saved because we stepped on the toes of "unbelievers" in this life. I think there is a solid divide between fact and fantasy.

The key is to find balance and harmony here and treat people nicely. There is nothing wrong with running a tight ship as far as criminality is concerned, but no one has any right to condemn another for choices they make which affect no one but themselves.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:00 PM

465 posts, read 528,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
Quote Lamplight...."As an atheist, I'd be perfectly satisfied if death was just the end of my existence. If it meant missing out on a possible heaven, I'd be fine with that as long as I was also missing out on a possible hell. I'm at peace with nothingness after death."This is my whole point. YOU will have nothingness after death. But it's another story for your soul/spirit. It will travel to wherever according to how you prepared it while you were alive.
Yes you are the expert on all of this because you have done it and experien....oh wait nevermind.

Have you understood the point of this thread?

Old 08-16-2010, 02:06 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,216,172 times
Quote:
Yes you are the expert on all of this because you have done it and experien....oh wait nevermind.

Have you understood the point of this thread?
ROFLMBO....Obviously NOT! I just love those whose PURE SPECULATION is preached as THE TRUTH, THE WHOLE TRUTH AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH....when in REALITY.....they don't ACTUALLY KNOW JACK DIDDLEY SQUAT!!!

Old 08-16-2010, 02:43 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,958,847 times
Quote:
Well like I said before, all of them are different, so if you do believe in the testimonies, then there is no one singular truth as to what happens when you die.

And even if you did read the testimonies or the book, you still don;t know for sure either...still just hearsay.

This is a very true statement. There are stories among my people of those who "died" (probably more in the realm of the Near-Death Experience phenomenon rather than actual death), went to the afterlife and then came back. In these stories, those who came back reported the afterlife in essentially the same way:

They walked on a path that led them to a large camp in a massive valley where there weather was good, it was green and there was plenty. The light of the Creator was everywhere. All the Comanches who had died were there: young, healthy and happy. They were always met by a grey horse that they needed to mount. This grey horse would take them to the camp. For some reason they were unable to get on the horse or the horse would not allow them to mount up. Then they woke up alive.

While there are slight variations in each of these accounts, they are consistant in the basics I listed above.

Yet, as you can see, the accounts of my people concerning the afterlife are very different than what NDE stories from other religious beliefs and the non-religious report. This just adds more evidence that these NDE stories cannot be counted on as evidence of anything. They certainly cannot be used to point to one set of beliefs over another as being THE truth.

Last edited by Fullback32; 08-16-2010 at 02:54 PM..

Old 08-16-2010, 05:43 PM

2,004 posts, read 3,418,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
ROFLMBO....Obviously NOT! I just love those whose PURE SPECULATION is preached as THE TRUTH, THE WHOLE TRUTH AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH....when in REALITY.....they don't ACTUALLY KNOW JACK DIDDLEY SQUAT!!!
Sounds like to me that you're the one that knows it all. So, I guess, I owe you an apology.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:04 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,181,467 times
Actually, I am the only person that really knows what happens after we die. However, that is classified information and I will not be sharing it with anyone. I will say one thing though - you are all wrong!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality