Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2010, 11:02 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,146,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
Islam does not own countries, people do.

Well see thats only partially true. Most of those countries have essentially no separation of church/state. Groups like al qaida and the taliban bastardize and use the religion for political reasons. They are only able to do this because their societies are intertwined with their religion.
This book burning, while stupid, is nothing compared to what goes on in the name of Islam.
Bibles are burned, flags are burned....people snicker and yawn. Americans are held to a much much higher standard, it should be highly offensive, and Im sure it is, to the average Muslim. Everyone has to tip toe around the Muslims, now that's offensive.....

Totally reasonable reaction from Kabul:
"It is the duty of Muslims to react," said Mohammad Mukhtar, a cleric and candidate for the Afghan parliament in the Sept. 18 election. "When their holy book Quran gets burned in public, then there is nothing left. If this happens, I think the first and most important reaction will be that wherever Americans are seen, they will be killed. No matter where they will be in the world they will be killed."

Old 09-09-2010, 11:35 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,545,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
Islam does not own countries, people do.
you mean like people dont kill people, guns do?

Old 09-10-2010, 01:37 AM

1,999 posts, read 5,002,499 times
Default they should be careful what they wish for

Sharp Post

People still do a great job killing people over non-religious reasons. How about the 78 million killed in atheist Mao Ze-Dong China. How about these people in Russia that eradicated Christianity in Russia. Jozef Stalin only killed 23 million dissenters and religion was banned in the USSR.

The great fallacy is that if we don't believe in a God they everyone will be hunky-dory like a 1960's folk song. That is a great fallacy. What usually happens when we eliminate the Christian moral law is greed and power rushes in to fill the vacuum and then tyranny ensues. Religion is not the reason for war and fighting; it is greed and power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I know many here dream of the day where the only reasons we threaten each other are patriotism/nationalism, political ideologies, greed, rage, lust, land, and mineral resources but never again something as trivial as the meaning of life or reality. So you're not alone

Old 09-10-2010, 01:49 AM

1,128 posts, read 1,647,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Sharp Post

People still do a great job killing people over non-religious reasons. How about the 78 million killed in atheist Mao Ze-Dong China. How about these people in Russia that eradicated Christianity in Russia. Jozef Stalin only killed 23 million dissenters and religion was banned in the USSR.

The great fallacy is that if we don't believe in a God they everyone will be hunky-dory like a 1960's folk song. That is a great fallacy. What usually happens when we eliminate the Christian moral law is greed and power rushes in to fill the vacuum and then tyranny ensues. Religion is not the reason for war and fighting; it is greed and power.
I agree.
And as a Christian, I do not condone these burnings, it is a showing of hate and intolerance, when the bible says we should love each other and practice forgiveness and understanding.
And what Samyn said is true, the atrocities that radical Muslim fundamentalists commit in the name of Islam have very little to do with Islam, they use it to justify their actions and brainwash and kill their own people.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:32 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,256,030 times
We don't mind being over there and killing them but we don't want to upset them.
Makes sense to me.

Supposedly, we engage in wars to protect our freedoms and/or to spread those freedoms to others.
Like it or not,what this congregation is proposing to do is an expression of that freedom.
Unfortuately, this *(%$#&##@ has chosen an act that is like pouring fuel on an already hot fire and the publicity has put this country inbetween a rock and a hard place.
Stand up for the right to do it?
Subject our troops (and who knows who else) to probable retaliation?
I think we have no choice.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:46 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,995,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Church to go ahead with Sept. 11 Quran burning

Church to go ahead with Sept. 11 Quran burning | 6abc.com

This man is a nut...power hungry and has an agenda...which is going to get him more church money, more members...I cannot beleive the media is covering this....this is going to start a lot of bad things, not to mention, undo everything we've done in the middle east....plus, get our men killed...but, apparently, this extremist...is only concerned about his agenda and not human life....???? The media is coverning this, b/c they are liberal facisits...and all for socialization...people mistakenly mix up the word facisit with Hitler, however, Hitler killing the Jews had nothing to do with Facisium....

It's going to far, and I cannot believe once again, religion is going to get people killed....how are we any better then The Terrorists?

People are sick, sick, sick, and it's time that the Christian community come forth and denouce this act....I can't believe people are standing by and allowing this to happen? We haven't progressed, we've regressed....this act is primitive hype to start problems...and believe you me, if this man goes ahead with this, then every human being who is killed afterwards, he should be held accountable....he will undo everything our men died for in the middle east!
Well what about people that burn bibles? where is the outrage to that?

Old 09-10-2010, 04:00 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,233,257 times
I am a devout Christian and I denounce such a stupid act of senseless provokation that is bound to cause reprisals against Christians and missionaries living in majority Moslem nations. It's easy to act bold in Florida; go try it in Pakistan or Jordan, or Mindanao,etc where Christians are in constant danger. Really thoughtless! Really stupid! Really harmful! Also, it's very un-Christian.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:14 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,995,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I am a devout Christian and I denounce such a stupid act of senseless provokation that is bound to cause reprisals against Christians and missionaries living in majority Moslem nations. It's easy to act bold in Florida; go try it in Pakistan or Jordan, or Mindanao,etc where Christians are in constant danger. Really thoughtless! Really stupid! Really harmful! Also, it's very un-Christian.
Yes, it would put missionaries and US servicemen serving Afganistan and the middle east at risk too as well as American citizens that live or visit over there.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:36 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,545,338 times
Moderator cut: reminder

Good morning all..This subject is a very.. well, lets say "energy packed"..However please remember this line from the TOS and think before you submit

Hate speech, racism or bashing of ANY sort will not be tolerated

Old 09-10-2010, 04:41 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,595,029 times
Okay.

One issue I was wondering about a second ago that I hope is less insulting is where do you/they get the Qur'ans to burn them? It seems like if you are buying them it's plausible you are funding a Muslim group or at least aiding sales figures for copies of Qur'an. If you're just swiping them than that's theft. Or are they counting on people who wanted to read the Qur'an, so bought one long ago, but then decided they disliked it? And if that's the case could someone organize a mass burning of "The Celestine Prophecy" or some of Heinlein's final books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.